Skip to main content

Mack air starter trouble

More
4 years 11 months ago #200186 by Kav
Replied by Kav on topic Mack air starter trouble
Other possibilities - Do you have a muffler or outlet cage on the exhaust of the starter. If not you can get a wasps nest inside and it can set like cement - or if the air motor is turning , the short shaft can break and not engage the Bendix- or the outer cast iron piece that the vanes run in, can break out between the ports and let all the air out. If the Bendix is jammed into the ring gear, get a screwdriver and rock the ring gear back a fraction and you will hear the Bendix release. If you have tried to start it with low air, the Bendix will go in and nearly always stays there. Pauls suggestion of diesel down the big hose is the most common fix. Just some thoughts.

Kav.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #200298 by Timmsy
Replied by Timmsy on topic Mack air starter trouble
Just an update, a good news update.

I used both air tool oil down diesel lube port, and half a litre of diesel down the big air hose.
A few goes, she loosened up and fired! A big thanks to everyones advice.
Air starter still doesn't seem quite right, will try some more diesel down the big hose. I think we are heading down the air starter rebuild pathway.

thanks again to all contributors.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
4 years 11 months ago #200302 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Mack air starter trouble
no more diesel or oil
itz dun itz trick
jist let her dry out with normal use
U may have one vaned stihl stuk
it may cum good

didja find the electic ovr air valve where U jab a pen in to bypass the elec bit
tiz good 2 kno if U got a flat battery
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
4 years 11 months ago #200379 by Timmsy
Replied by Timmsy on topic Mack air starter trouble
Will keep the air compressor hooked up to keep the air starter turning, it still seems restricted/not spinning freely.
The auto electric man changed the old biro actuated valve to a modern electric only, no bypass, a few years ago. Haven't had any problems with electrics so far.
thanks again.

More
2 years 4 months ago #228536 by silver1925
Replied by silver1925 on topic Mack air starter trouble
Hi Team, I have a 285 e6 R600. The air starter (ingersoll) has chewed the starter pinion pretty bad, although the ring gear looks perfect. The air starter is the old inertia pinion with a hair spring. I have 11 teeth on the pinion, is that the right number of teeth?

Any help would be appreciated.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
2 years 4 months ago #228540 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Mack air starter trouble
Hi Ho Silver

ring Mack Hallam n ask price and availability for the Bendix doo dadd on the IR air start
then ring Gleemans Sydney for Part and availability
then try KH equipment in wedgewood Drv Hallam for a Bendix or they may talk U into a new air turbo starter
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

More
2 years 4 months ago #228578 by silver1925
Replied by silver1925 on topic Mack air starter trouble
Quick update, thanks to Swishy, I called Gleemans in Sydney, they confirmed that the air starter pinion should be 11 tooth for the e6 285 engine. My air starter is the ingersoll rand with the inertia type pinion that has the hair spring to keep it from tickling the ring gear.

More
2 years 4 months ago #228580 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Mack air starter trouble
Anyone here ever seen or used a "Startmaster " air starter........sort of like a electric delco ,but all air......they appear to have used the Delco pinion,shift lever etc........I know Telstra had them fitted to all their trucks at one stage.... I Have an ex telstra one in a million bits,was gonna put it back together ,so far never got round to it........anyhoo,tht aside ,they seem a much better idea than the Bendix ,as the pinion is pre engaged ,just like an electric
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.434 seconds