Skip to main content

Normandy D-Day Event

More
4 years 10 months ago #200943 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Normandy D-Day Event
I like the herring bone gears used to do the driving. They are similar to those used on Tangye pumps.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #200945 by allan
Replied by allan on topic Normandy D-Day Event
According to this wiki, the pumps were by Tangye, and the Pluto, whilst innovative and a great engineering feat (esp during wartime), didn't have the impact suggested.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Pluto
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
4 years 10 months ago #200947 by Eightpot
Replied by Eightpot on topic Normandy D-Day Event
PLUTO is generally translated as meaning 'Pipe Line Under The Ocean' instead of its original (and proper) name of "Pipe Line Underwater Transport (of) Oil'.

More
4 years 10 months ago #200949 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Normandy D-Day Event
Thanks for the correct name, Eightpot. I thought that "Pipeline under the ocean" was far too simple and straightforward for an organisation that had descriptions such as this one for a helmet:-
"Headwear protective troops for the use of"

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
4 years 10 months ago #200956 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Normandy D-Day Event
Lang,

Did they fish the Dodge out of the bay after the tide got it?

Noticed this on HMVF but no answer on there yet.

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #200960 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Normandy D-Day Event
Yes they rescued the several drowned vehicles over the week.

While parked on the beach we were surrounded by idiots

There were many people who had never had their vehicles off bitumen. The sand was very hard and I along with other two wheel drives had absolutely no problems

There were a large number of jeep owners who roared the engines spun the wheels and then started slipping the clutch to smell and smoke stage.

Little eight HP Austin staff cars with wheels like bicycle tyres but capable drivers just idled quietly away past the screaming wheel spinning jeeps.

You may ask why. I had to show two drivers how to put their jeeps (owned for 20 years) in four wheel drive.

Another long term owner required a push from five people because he did not want to stress his show car by using 4x4. The smell of clutch drifted out from under the car.

Where do they find these people. I am not saying anything but every clutch slipper, bogger and valve bouncer seemed to have English number plates.

Lang
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Southbound, Mark60

More
4 years 10 months ago #200964 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Normandy D-Day Event
My old boss back years ago went to the snow each year. One morning he got up and decided to put the chains on his car. The driver next to him did exactly the same put the chains on his front wheels too. Boss always drove Audi the other was a Mercedes. Boss had a big smile on his face and so did the other bloke, a real look of satisfaction.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
4 years 10 months ago #200979 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Normandy D-Day Event
As my dear departed father-In-Law used to say "There is a lot of it about these days"
A few years ago, a journalist with the Weekly Times told the story of being in the snow country several years earlier and seeing a Mini Minor clunk past with chains on the REAR wheels.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
4 years 10 months ago #200989 by allan
Replied by allan on topic Normandy D-Day Event

Morris wrote: As my dear departed father-In-Law used to say "There is a lot of it about these days"
A few years ago, a journalist with the Weekly Times told the story of being in the snow country several years earlier and seeing a Mini Minor clunk past with chains on the REAR wheels.

At least he wouldn't get too far into trouble!

As an old boss of mine used to say "A Limited Slip Diff will just get you further into trouble before you get bogged"

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #201178 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Normandy D-Day Event
Last one on Normandy. My Chev got sold in France and the cook was happy we were bringing home some printed paper rather than another bloody vehicle.

Could not resist this great photo taken by Kathryn Whitaker at the same place at Arromanches as mine above on the morning of 6 June but by a competent photographer. Fantastic lens as the sea wall is straight as was the vehicle line-up.

Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Mark60

Time to create page: 0.500 seconds