Skip to main content

G'Day from Perth

• Mark60
  • Topic Author
  • Detroit Diesel: The original 'green' diesel, and the most efficient for turning diesel into noise.
More
4 years 10 months ago #201073 by Mark60
G'Day from Perth was created by Mark60
G'day guys & gals,

Thought best to introduce myself before wandering over and drinking everyone's beers.

Moved to Perth from Tom Price, and now doing the FiFo 'gig'. Although, will be moving to Melbourne soon(ish), more of the 'ish' than soon. It's where the cooks from and also where our house is (Doreen).

Anyhoo..."get on with it!" Chatting to the cook about me getting a vehicle to run around in, sorta a 'daily drive' when I'm on R&R, and if I didn't collapse on the floor with chest pains when she said "OK." When I finally came to from having the conniptions, I then replied cautiously..."what's the catch?" Knowing full well there's gunna be a lot of house chores involved, or matrimonial tasks. "When we're back in Doreen" she replies.

"Damn!" I knew there'd be a catch. But it does not deter me from my quest, and The Minister for Waging War & Finances don't know what the 'daily' is gunna be. Hehe.

As I'm on the wrong side of 50 I remember certain trucks growing up in WA, and what sticks in my head is the Dodge D5N 700, and/or the International C1800. Soooooo, the project is to source said truck with the 'screemin jimmy', coupled with Roadranger 9 sp and Rockwell diff. And, because I'm not one for these modern times throw in a Jake Brake. Now that combo should definately scare the horses.

I'm a heavy diesel fitter by trade, hence working in the Pilbara on mining equipment, I should be able to put together a reasonble working truck, however, not since my apprenticeship and early years swinging spanners have I worked on this gear, so I'll be asking all the questions to more esteemed and erudite colleagues to stear me straight on 'stuff'.

Well, that about sums it up, for now. Hoping to catch up with y'all in the future.

Cheers & beers

Macca

Cheers & Beers,
Macca

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #201074 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic G'Day from Perth
G'Day n welcome to the Forum, it is s a great place filled with a heap of helpful blokes. I'm lucky as Dee is totally into our hobby and never cpmplains about any new toys that turn up and in fact encourgaes me which make life so very good. Although most of our toys are tractors, stationary engines and mowers we have our Lorry, a FC144 Hino with a beavertail to drag around the toys and our van behind that and off to rallies. Since being a member here I ahve had the need for a few questions to be answered and always got good advise and for that I thank everyone who offers information and help.
You too will be offered the same help I'm sure and you will enjoy your time here reading and learning as I do. Hope you can find your new toy soon.
Cheers Cobba

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
4 years 10 months ago #201077 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic G'Day from Perth
Welcome,
Sounds like a plan to me.
Only thing I would add is for the RR to be overdrive and plenty of Permatex # 3 to seal up the screamer.
Cheers Steve

• Mark60
  • Topic Author
  • Detroit Diesel: The original 'green' diesel, and the most efficient for turning diesel into noise.
More
4 years 10 months ago #201078 by Mark60
Replied by Mark60 on topic G'Day from Perth
Cheers guys.

Yup... the Detroit dripper, or 'road oiler'.

As to the appearance, I probably wont be having it of the standard of the members 'rides', it won't be 'Concourse de Elegance', but mechanically 'stout'. Just to hear those 'Jakes'. Yeah, I know...socially irresponsible. I'm coming to realise I'm glad I had a childhood before technology took over.

Cheers & Beers,
Macca

More
4 years 10 months ago #201082 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic G'Day from Perth
Mark60,
Welcome to the forum. This is operated by the Historic Commercial Vehicle Club of Australia, not to be confused with the club in WA who pinched our name.
Either club will have members who might come up with the goods for you although you are looking for items that many members lust after, whereas I only have to out bid the scappie for most of the stuff I want.

Tell the Minister for Finance and Waging War that you will need a suitable (reliable, practical, large enough, any other excuse you can think of) vehicle to make the household removal across the paddock!

The area of Doreen outside Melbourne is a very pleasant spot. I know, or used to know, a fellow who built his house at the top of a slight hill there and called the property "Mount Doreen." I did not find out whether it was just an innocent name or whether it had a hidden meaning! :whistle:

Doreen is close to Yarra Glen where the HCVCA have our Annual Display on the first weekend each November.

Morris.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

• Mark60
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 10 months ago #201099 by Mark60
Replied by Mark60 on topic G'Day from Perth
G'day Morris,

Good to know that the annual display is in Yarra Glen, nice and close. Actually, not a bad spot to build, but Doreen is our last house we're gunna build...yeah right!

As to the build, once I find/buy the truck, and depending on state it's in...everything is relative, I wouldn't mind displaying it. Although, as stated, it won't be in a pristine condition, but will make a sweeeeeeet sound.

Started already collecting various workshop manuals, and a few years ago got some parts manuals from Wagga Truck Spares (I think thats the company). Gotta get everything back to Melbourne is the only PITA.

Cheers & Beers,
Macca

More
4 years 10 months ago #201111 by roKWiz
Replied by roKWiz on topic G'Day from Perth
Oh no, another Driptroit fan. Welcome.

Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did

More
4 years 10 months ago #201112 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic G'Day from Perth
Welcome to the forum

Old 53 series I think were the only GM's in Dodges from new
If so you may have to put the jake brake plan on hold as they are almosy impossible to get for 53 series

71 series and bigger you can still get them new Im pretty sure

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark60

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
4 years 10 months ago #201120 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic G'Day from Perth
Welcome aboard Macca
me thinx U need u're head read
relocating to Melbourne where the authorities have lost the plot
trying to travel around Melb U need twice as long in time and at a slow speed
all the rds R choked with many agro drivers
But
your choice

to move to the right from the left
as a suggestion Buy your self a 40 foot container.... get it delivered to your place of aboad
fill er up ... organize a truck to pick it up n send it across and deliver to Dough Reen

40 footer could aslo B interpted as a 20' ....... your call

Also U have a good choice ...... in choosing screemer power
LOL
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
4 years 10 months ago #201122 by Gryphon
Replied by Gryphon on topic G'Day from Perth
Swishy,

you would be lucky to fit a 40' container on most of the blocks out here nowadays. Two stacked 40' containers are called a townhouse in some streets ;)

Terry

Time to create page: 0.556 seconds