Skip to main content

Bedford K Model Earth Strap

More
4 years 10 months ago #201131 by Pierre
Hi, could a fellow Bedford owner confirm where the flat earth strap that runs from the chassis (near the battery box) to the correct bolting point on the body.
Mine has been severed. (see photo prior to chassis being sanded & painted )
I know it doesn't probably matter that much so long as it's connected somewhere, but I just want it in the right place.
I would assume it connects to the L/H body to chassis mounting bolt.
Could not see it listed in the service manual or wiring diagram.

There is another earth strap that runs from the clutch housing to engine.

Pierre
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #201134 by cobbadog
My initial thought was it went to the engine not chasis as that is where you need the most amps for the starter motor.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
4 years 10 months ago #201143 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Bedford K Model Earth Strap
Actually, I think Cobbadog’s on the money. On both my project vehicles here, the earth strap goes from the battery directly to where the starter motor bolts to the engine/bellhousing with braided short “jumper straps” back to the chassis as well as the body metal. One of them may have been a leftover from positive earth days (Karrier). But other one (Chevy) looks original. Dave

More
4 years 10 months ago #201185 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Bedford K Model Earth Strap
Still need a body one for all the lights and gauges to work.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
4 years 10 months ago #201187 by Pierre
Replied by Pierre on topic Bedford K Model Earth Strap
Looks like Bedford were notorious for making chaotic changes throughout builds.
A check on their Shop Manual Supplements reveals from Chassis # 200001 they moved from 6V to 12V charging systems.
My 1953 K Model (Chassis 258981) has a normal battery earth terminal that runs from battery to starter switch & also has the left over 6V earth strap from battery to L/H chassis side rail with the battery lug cut off.

The other earthing points are Clutch Housing to Engine Earth to Engine Rear Support & Radiator Shell to Front Cross Member.

A check on my 1950 K model in storage reveals the earlier earth strap still attached with the battery terminal lug(see photo)

I take Jarrod's point that there should be another earthing point from Body to Chassis.
Would the engine mounts being doing that task even with a rubber insert?
thanks for the input guys
cheers Pierre

Pierre

More
4 years 10 months ago #201188 by Pierre
Replied by Pierre on topic Bedford K Model Earth Strap

Pierre
Attachments:

More
4 years 10 months ago #201190 by Blackduck59
Geez I hate those set ups, Inters had similar.
Battery to chassis, chassis to engine, chassis to cab, too many points for bad connections. Like in your earlier pic, 2 grounds on separate bolts. All should go to the same bolt/s and try to reduce the amount of individual connections. I appreciate you maybe limited when trying to maintain the original look.
Cheers Steve

Time to create page: 0.497 seconds