Skip to main content

Driving in dust

More
4 years 9 months ago #201389 by jeffo
Driving in dust was created by jeffo
I'm going to have a whinge as I just got back from Birdsville and fair dinkum I wonder what goes on in some driver's heads.
If I see an approaching vehicle that's clearly not going to slow down, I pull up on the windward side of the road and leave them to it.
A lot of times this means I'm facing the wrong way to oncoming traffic but the locals, road trains and even motor bikes all know what's happening.
Not this new breed of 4X drivers.
They stay stuck to their line with foot hard down, even if that means showering me in rocks.
Driving blindly through dust at 100kph, often for quite a long time is mindlessly stupid and inconsiderate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #201390 by Diggerdave
Replied by Diggerdave on topic Driving in dust
Yes Jeff’s I know exactly what you mean
But you gotta remember you can’t put brains in statues
You are doing the right thing keep rolling
Digger

More
4 years 9 months ago #201391 by IHScout
Replied by IHScout on topic Driving in dust
I was watching Outback truckers the other night and was trying to remember what the rule was about which side to pass on when kicking up due, so thanks for the reminder Jeffo. Hopefully I won't be one of the idiots next time I venture off the bitumen.

Dennis

More
4 years 9 months ago #201398 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Driving in dust
When in the dirt I won't stop on the wrong side of the road, rather slow on my side so I'm not kicking up dust so the other vehicle can stay on their side and the rocks I receive are fewer.

Certainly will overtake on the windward side so you can see where you're going. Always did this when rallying in the desert as overtaking or passing at 100+MPH can get interesting,

Also helps the other driver see you coming.

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #201399 by BillyP
Replied by BillyP on topic Driving in dust
With that many people out and about these days it is getting worse ,with a lot of drivers showing no consideration or common
sense whatsoever,. Nowadays I just pull up out in the scrub on the windward side and let every one have the road to them selves.
Then when the dust settles away we go.

The trucks appreciate it, as they can carry on as they please. ………………….

………………...Billy...………………...

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by BillyP.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
4 years 9 months ago #201405 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic Driving in dust
Not stopping on the road Zuffen, it's way out in the table drains, as far bush as I can go to clear their rocks.
I stop and when they've gone past away we go.
It's just annoying that even when I'm out in the trees, they still don't get it and stay on their line, as if there's a bloody white line down that dirt.
It's not difficult to shift over a bit on these super wide dirt roads, not as if they're steering a triple or such, usually just a loaded ute.

Time to create page: 0.451 seconds