Skip to main content

Step Idea

More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #202650 by Lang
Step Idea was created by Lang
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI have been trying to come up with a solution to my wife's buggered knees (in a bike accident 20 years ago) which the passing years have created a problem getting in and out of trucks. There are many of us with similar problems, even without buggered knees.

I looked at low stools and caravan pull-out steps but neither are satisfactory because it needs me to hop out and and lower or place the steps/stool and fold up afterwards every time she gets in or out of the truck.

I discovered the solution on line and it works perfectly. Ideal for any long nose truck (you can get double step models to go down much further on the higher trucks.) I think it could be adapted to many forward control trucks also.

Came with full one lead wiring kit and rocker switch for up/down. Auto shutoff to prevent blowing fuses in up or down stop position.

Lang

Looks neat under the step. 4 bolts about 15 minutes

Close up closed position

Simple two way rocker switch on bottom right of dash that came with the kit. This is left hand drive so normally it would be on other side for the passenger or this side for a geriatric driver.

Down position halves the step height.

Here are a couple on Ebay. One single and one double. If you hunt you can find cheaper.

Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Dave_64, Southbound, Brocky45, oliver1950

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago #202664 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Step Idea
What a brilliant and simple idea Lang, great find.
When I finally get around to posting the pics of the David Brown you will notice my interpretation of solving a similar problem for Dee to get on and off the tractor.
I call it the "short leg step" and all I did is to bend up some 3/16" x 1" flat bar and bolted it under the foot plate. It was such a success for her I also built one for her to climb in and out of Lorry.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brocky45

More
4 years 7 months ago #202677 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic Step Idea
Caravan step would work too but of course someone has to get out and pull it open. Your system is much flasher.
I saw a nice bit of gear on a 200 series. The scrub rail folded out to become a step as soon as you unlocked the door.
It was a lovely job, very expensive though.
Think ARB or similar was selling the kits.

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #202678 by BillyP
Replied by BillyP on topic Step Idea
.Friends of ours have the same problem . they found a light plastic step of the correct size, tied a bit of light
rope to it, climb into their motor home , pull the rope and step up, throw it behind the seat and away they go.
Getting out , just throw it out, give it a couple of shakes to get it in the right spot, then climb out. ……….
…………………..Billy...………………….

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by BillyP.

More
4 years 7 months ago #202684 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Step Idea
Billy

That is why I went hunting for a proper step. Apart from the fact there is SFA room in a conventional truck cab to put a folding step, " a couple of shakes" sounds a lot easier than it really is and becomes a pain if it is pouring rain, the ground is not level or you can't get the door fully open in a car park or beside an obstruction.

It is a serious pain if you are going through gates or just ducking in to the shop for a paper - you have to hop out yourself instead of making the pax earn her keep or wait patiently while the launch and retrieve system goes through its song and dance.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyP

More
4 years 7 months ago #202687 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Step Idea
Great idea Lang and it looks great. You sure were lucky to find one in the right colour.

More
4 years 7 months ago #202699 by Lang
Pity to paint over the pretty anodizing but leaving it would make the Dodge look like a rat with a gold tooth,

More
4 years 7 months ago #202713 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Step Idea
Our motorhome has an electric step that retracts underneath, it retracts automatically when you turn the ignition on.

More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #202716 by Brocky45
Replied by Brocky45 on topic Step Idea
Using Cobbadog's basic plan one of our chapter members used aluminum deck plate to build both a step under the bottom one and one in between the factory steps on his big Autocar so his wife could get in and out. At a quick glance it looks factory..
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Brocky45.

More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #202717 by Lang
Brocky

There are lots of ways to build or add to existing steps but they nearly all result in a vertical "ladder' climb. We are talking about older ladies (and blokes) with reduced arm and leg strength, not to mention agility, who find these increasingly difficult.

The thing that sold me on the electric steps was the fact they not only go down but come out, to form stairs not a ladder. With a higher vehicle than mine a two-tread set of stairs would make entry simple while a set of extra ladder rungs of the same spacing would be impossible for less able people.

There is no end to variations on these electric fold away steps and you can find the exact type to suit your purpose (including ones with enough steps to walk up on to the tray.) The ones below are all remote electric powered.

The bottom "Trade China" unit is the three step version of my single step, enough to cover about a metre climb.

Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Time to create page: 0.544 seconds