Skip to main content

C1600 front brakes

More
4 years 5 months ago #203737 by AaronS
C1600 front brakes was created by AaronS
Hi all

Two things.

The first. There is a square headed bolt in the front brakes. Before I took them off I assumed it was to adjust the shoes. But it doesn’t. It seems to do nothing. The only thing I can think of it somehow lines up the drum? What am I missing?

The second. I tried to get new cylinders for the front brakes from PowerBrakes SA but no go. Only resleeving. I ended up getting some for $40 each including shipping from Amazon. Was a bit concerned but was a perfect fit. Highly recommend looking online if cannot source locally.

Aaron
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Morris

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 5 months ago #203742 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic C1600 front brakes
Yes Aaron, always check about. I can only guess that the company you spoke to either did not want to get involved or did not deal with a supplier of the part you needed.
I come across it a lot in my line of work. Other companies tell a client that is no longer available and I have bags full of them in my wagon. Simple answer from me is that I buy from many different suppliers and not just one.
The square headed bolt may well be an adjuster but broken,

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AaronS

More
4 years 5 months ago #203743 by Oilman
Replied by Oilman on topic C1600 front brakes
I would consider getting wheel cylinders stainless sleeved before I would buy new ones especially if your vehicle doesn't do a lot of work. When they sit around with a bit of moisture (impossible to keep out) they generally play up. I just had the ones in my '65 mustang done at power brakes as I had to pull them apart every few years and hone them to clean them up and then it wasn't long before they started to stick again.

1975 Atkinson, 180HP 6LXB Gardner, RTO910, 34000lb Rockwell on camelback
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, cobbadog, AaronS

More
4 years 5 months ago #203844 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic C1600 front brakes
AaronS,
I sent this from my phone last week but I now see it did not reach the forum:-

My D1510 driving mate said the square bolt is definitely the brake adjuster. If it is not working, it is probably because the linings are so warn down that there is no adjustment left. There is a cam on the other end of the bolt and it pushes the shoes towards the drum. Looks like time to re-line or find shoes with good linings.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
4 years 5 months ago #203846 by AaronS
Replied by AaronS on topic C1600 front brakes
Thanks for the bad news. There is nothing there. The brakes are dismantled. The cylinders needed replacing but the pads are fine. They just can’t be adjusted out so the contamination probably wasn’t the main issue.

Wonder how much these bits of steel will cost.

Anyone have some brakes they can take a photo of so I can see what it missing? Or a schematic?

Thanks

More
4 years 5 months ago #203867 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic C1600 front brakes
I wonder if you have the brakes with the sliding adjuster on the leading shoe. Is there a hole in the middle of the lining?

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
4 years 5 months ago #203869 by roKWiz
Replied by roKWiz on topic C1600 front brakes

AaronS wrote: Thanks for the bad news. There is nothing there. The brakes are dismantled. The cylinders needed replacing but the pads are fine. They just can’t be adjusted out so the contamination probably wasn’t the main issue.
Anyone have some brakes they can take a photo of so I can see what it missing? Or a schematic?
Thanks

Are Dodge AT4 similar ? I have AT4 diagrams.

Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did

More
4 years 5 months ago #203875 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic C1600 front brakes
Looked in the parts book.....the adjusters are two snail cams that run on the inside of the shoes..........if anything is missing ,its because its broken......the cams have no separate part no ,so are part of the backing plate.......they are definitely needed.

More
4 years 5 months ago #203925 by AaronS
Thanks for all the replies. Have two cams on there. So adjusters are fine. Which is great. Taken a photo tomorrow and uploading. This bolt is killing me.

More
4 years 5 months ago #203953 by AaronS
Easier to upload photos to Facebook but not everyone would use it but hopefully you can see the photo in this link.

m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/nyah.friedrichsim...6ftid%3D&mdp=1&mdf=1

Is it the threaded bolt sticking out that I am perplexed by.

Thanks
Aaron

Time to create page: 0.515 seconds