Skip to main content

Bog Cog busted.

More
4 years 5 months ago #203911 by Sarge
Bog Cog busted. was created by Sarge
Guru time again. The mighty ACCO is still earning her keep, but pulling bales off in second gear is an Olympic sport that I don't want to play. She just pops out of bog cog almost instantly,I tried strong arming the stick while Mrs Sarge stacked some bales, but I think I was working as hard as she was.

I am not about to pull the box out but some idea of what I might be up against cost time and effort would be appreciated. 'Cause otherwise she goes likea (smokey) train.

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
4 years 5 months ago #203912 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Bog Cog busted.
Sarge :-X
Go grab the wheel barrow n give it to her indoors she will get more bails delivered than wot U R do n
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
our ol Yard crane jumps outa reverse twaz told needs rerace n
so now the time to rerace or go grab a 5speed Overdrive n do a transplant so U can keep up with the heard
FWIW
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
4 years 5 months ago #203914 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Bog Cog busted.
What box, Sarge??

More
4 years 5 months ago #203915 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Bog Cog busted.
Not uncommon in ACCOs ,because they dont go into gear fully,due to stick and linkage fouling other parts.........anyway,if the teeth are backed off,the only proper cure is a new layshaft and 1 st gear............if you are real keen,you can weld up the teeth,but its a long job,and doesnt last.

More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #203916 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Bog Cog busted.
Maybe not such a big jobbie after all, Already got the mighty ACCO flyer 5 speed Overdrive, I can get 110 on the freeway.... its downhill heading to Melbum. But I did a sort of interior upgrade to take Scout to Alice way back then and that included making up a thick (multi layered) engine blanket with a vinyl cover. Not so noisy inside but lots of stuffing around the big stick hole. and the shift is fairly sloppy. So I will go look at that.... gunna have to look at the clutch slave cylinder too, drinking fluid like Swishy on a beer. Shifter wont let go, so its engine stop and more fluid, lotsa pumping, get some pedal, do some more. Thats why the last load was not complete, had to but the final 20 on the ute.

Thanks for the prompt replies, I cant imagine there was a lot of use for the first gear, this truck spent its like carting Apples from Harcourt to Melbourne market/s... hence the O/D box.

Sarge B)
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Sarge.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
4 years 5 months ago #203918 by JOHN.K.
Sounds like you got a T34 box,truck is an 1820.....if its a T34,then Ive got new T35 layshafts,and probably new 1st gears too.......the T34 will need a couple of gears swapped on the front from the T35.....have to have a look in the containers.......One time i searched both containers for new transfer case gears for a guy in NT,middle of summer,must have been 60deg inside,found the gears,but lost my ute key in the stuff...Fortunately there is a bus stop just down the road.....was midnight and last bus I got back on,then next day found the ute key in the grass outside the containers..........havent opended the boxes since.

More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #203936 by Sarge
thanks John, dont be looking in there for me anytime soon. I have got the O/D box and the truck started life as an 1840 short wheel base maybe a tipper, petrol 5 speed 2 speed diff. It was only a year or two old when it got a Perkins, overdrive and a big stretch, there has been some suggestion in may had a lazy or pusher. There are plenty of bolt holes where something has been shifted and the tray certainly is not set quite right for the present configuration. And it must have been registered with 10.00 tyres as it had an extra tonne capacity originally.

And the dodgy bog cog might just be my fluffy cabin covers sliding down the shifter hole. She got along in Bog Cog last year and many before that. I did give the covers a boys look when it started playing up....:S :S :S :S :S :whistle: :whistle:

Sarge B)
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Sarge.

More
4 years 5 months ago #203937 by JOHN.K.
Is the box synchro or non synchro.....an 1840 would have had a T53 or T54 box(non synchro.)....I think the gear change fouls the exhaust manifold,from memory.......the ACCO Perk should have the exhaust outlet at the front of the manifold,the standard Perk manifold has the exhaust about the middle,and this on fouls the gearchange.

More
4 years 5 months ago #203946 by Sarge
You are on the money John, centre manifold, have not noticed if the shift hts it. Box is full synchro. Gear change is pretty sloppy, I fixed the pivot points when I got her but the ball joint at the base of the stick is well worn, it's has happened that the driver pulled the stick right out on a rushed change, and it makes a loud noisy vibration when motoring. So while the cover is off to fixe the slave cylinder I will have a crack at fixing he whole thing.

Sarge B)

More
4 years 5 months ago #203959 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Bog Cog busted.
Try to get all the slackout, it cant hurt and can only help. I used some stick on insulation to help with noise reduction and heat resistance. Its not expensive and works well.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Time to create page: 0.554 seconds