Skip to main content

-: Mecanix Facts :-

More
4 years 3 months ago #204923 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic -: Mecanix Facts :-
Does that mean the Swishy will never see that vortex?

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 months ago #204926 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic -: Mecanix Facts :-
I used to find these things while wrecking cars out. Jewellery and coins under centre console, etc.

Jarrod

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
4 years 3 months ago #204927 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic -: Mecanix Facts :-
On the subject of cars...someone has dumped a Holden Cruze in front of my gate...Id say its about 6 yr old,and people say its worthless.stuffed etc.....looks tidy ,and got newish tyres.....Dont see how a 6yr old car can be worthless........(actually dumped there by Qld Transport Dept,off the freeway)

More
4 years 3 months ago #204936 by Southbound
Replied by Southbound on topic -: Mecanix Facts :-
The cruise is a Daewoo with Holden badges????? Worth SFA in that case!

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.

More
4 years 3 months ago #204937 by 600Dodge
Replied by 600Dodge on topic -: Mecanix Facts :-
A modern day dog also contains this vortex but it is slightly harder to find.

More
4 years 3 months ago #204963 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic -: Mecanix Facts :-
When trying to learn to be a panel beater and not a bloody plastic surgeon the boss started buying wrecked Datsuns. Mainly 16000 at first as he rallied the same car and he could drive his finger wher eit hurts and needed parts after each event. Being the apprentice I got to strip the cars down each Monday, store the good stuff and load the crap on the trailer. Worse thing I found was the tip of a finger, YUK.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
4 years 3 months ago #204977 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic -: Mecanix Facts :-
Cobbadog letting on that he was a panelbeater explains how he is so good at all those jobs he does. It gives him a great advantage over a desk jockey and occasional trade assistant like me.

The problem with near new cars being worthless is that with today's disposable cars, mainly the Asian ones, repairs cost more than the car is worth. That is why those who can put in their labour for nothing, can often repair a writeoff.
So just pull the wheels off that Daewoo and sell or use the tyres.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #204978 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic -: Mecanix Facts :-
Morris

I think the expression disposable cars" does a serious disservice to modern vehicles.

To put it bluntly, cars of "our" era were complete crap whether they be Rolls Royce or EH Holden. Quite apart from the vast improvement in ride, handling, safety, performance and comfort the relative price makes them about 1/2 of what they cost say, in the 60's.

Most relevent is the reliability and long life. In the 60's a vehicle with 60,000 miles - about 100,000 km - was pretty well stuffed and looked upon as a bit of a banger. in that time it probably would have had several serious problems or worn parts replaced and usually a valve-grind.

Today I doubt there is a car, even the cheapest little girls first machine, without 300,000 km FULL warranty and they also offer guaranteed routine service costs. Several have 500,000 km and yesterday I saw an ad for a car with 7 years warranty.

With panel beaters charging up to $150 per hour (the parts are now quick change and almost certainly relatively cheaper than the 60's) it is very easy to exceed the value of a damaged vehicle, particularly when the work is guaranteed by the insurance company and they are exposed to comebacks. New regulations ensure any mechanical crash repairs meet as-new standards unlike the old days when a bit of heat on a tie rod or a porta-power to straighten an axle were par for the course.

When the whole vehicle is now part of the safety crumple system it is often prudent to write off a car even if it measures up perfectly to avoid future comebacks. Repairable write-offs particularly hail damage are mainly because of labour costs and possible future claims and can be a bargain for those with basic skills to get a safe, low mileage car.

lang
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Lang.

More
4 years 3 months ago #204980 by IHScout
Replied by IHScout on topic -: Mecanix Facts :-
While I agree generally with what Lang is saying about modern cars vs cars of our era, there are some exceptions. There is a Great Wall SUV parked around the corner from me that is about 6 years old with rust holes in several body panels and bit falling off it everywhere. Meanwhile my 6 year old Subaru with 100k on the clock still looks brand new. On the other hand, Dad bought an early model Kingswood in 1968 that came with a factory fitted hole in the radiator, but after that was fixed, did 100,000 miles without even changing the spark plugs.

Dennis

More
4 years 3 months ago #204981 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic -: Mecanix Facts :-
That is my point exactly. You have fond memories of your dad's Holden (no doubt well looked after) getting the far above average trouble free 100,00 miles. The old Holden and Falcon taxis running 24 hours a day, always warm and never over 50 mph often got 200,000 miles and more but at the expense of several new clutches, brakes and often diffs and gearboxes.

If a modern cheapest car on the market, say an Hyundai Getz or Nissan MIcra started giving serious troubles at 160,000 km the factory would pay for it under warranty. Your old dad was on his own regarding warranty after the Holden went around the block twice showing how much confidence GMH had in their product. They were not even game to give 20,000 miles warranty to blow the Falcons and Valiants out of the water.

My dad owned the Holden dealership at Southport in the 60's and the workshop earned twice as much as the sales department.

Time to create page: 0.526 seconds