Skip to main content

Ruff n Ready

More
4 years 3 months ago #205126 by WorkTruck
Replied by WorkTruck on topic Ruff n Ready
Holy Smokes Ruff n ready, those are fantastic photos, details and personal commentary!

I would love it if you could put all that stuff together into a word doc and email me.. I love that stuff - its what "Australians were made of"...

Hows the bombing aftermath photos - showing the palm frond "camo" (or attempted camo :) ) and there are dozens of smaller and wrecked plane and parts scattered all round the airfield!

Are you in another forum for all this stuff somewhere?

When i get time I create Stand Off Scale "things" and put them out in the community... check out www.facebook.com/captainfred.barkell

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 months ago #205127 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Ruff n Ready
Seems to be a bit of interest here in Lae and general area. Got me thinking about the development ( and subsequent decline/demise) of the huge Bougainville copper project in the sixties and seventies. Knew a couple of blokes who worked for Kennelly/ Brambles driving Mack’s on development production of the mine. Maybe someone out there could throw a bit of light and a few snaps up. I know only what I have been told about the atrocious conditions blokes worked under weather wise and the topography. If I have this right, the mine was closed after many years of mismanagement, and what was supposed to have been the painless handover to the indigenous owners, which if PNG was any template, was a total shambles.

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #205131 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Ruff n Ready
Dave

The conditions at Bougainville copper mine were pretty good. At least as good as most Australian mines. I think a number of the blokes on the forum worked there.

I often visited during the 70's and overnighted a couple of times. Standard mess facilities, good food.

The terrain was nothing to write home about and many mines around the world are much more difficult. It was not too far to drive down to the coast to go boating or diving.

Weather was standard tropics and, being a bit higher, that much more comfortable than the coast. Anyhow once acclimatised after a couple of weeks you just do everything you can do in Australia.

The mine did some pretty crook things and I remember flying some government inspectors on a survey. They just dumped all the rubbish over the edge and the river spread out full of silt killing all the trees and native gardens about a kilometre wide all the way to the coast. They had full time compensation teams but where do the people go when all their land is stuffed.

Of course when the locals got uppity and started to revolt the mine as the biggest asset in the whole of PNG at the time was an obvious "kidnapping" target. Lots of talk about getting it going again on the same scale but 40 years later nothing done

Here is not good PR for Rio Tinto
news.mongabay.com/2017/04/rio-tinto-walk...villes-panguna-mine/

Here is the current situation. An article by SBS. As usual they can not get the names correct and 20,000 victims of the war are complete BS but the basic story is very interesting.
www.sbs.com.au/news/bougainville-s-gold-...it-could-be-reopened

And this is hot off the presses with 98% voting for independence and the game of China against us has begun,
www.smh.com.au/world/oceania/from-treasu...20191127-p53eph.html

Lang
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Lang.

More
4 years 3 months ago #205132 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Ruff n Ready
An expat from there told me years ago that the mine had taken all the high grade ore,and was down to 3%,which wasnt profitable with copper prices as they were ...Copper has gone up a good deal since then,and lekky cars are supposed to need heaps,so who knows what will happen.

More
4 years 3 months ago #205135 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Ruff n Ready
John

At a recent valuation of 84 Billion it confirms the Panguna mine as the greatest copper mine in the world, a status it held until its closure, Of course most copper mines hold huge gold reserves as well and Panguna is one of them.

I think your expat mate was talking through his hat.

Lang

More
4 years 3 months ago #205144 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Ruff n Ready
More than 30 years ago,and I know copper was down around $1.60/lb at one time.

• Swishy
  • Topic Author
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
4 years 2 months ago #205786 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Ruff n Ready
blast from the past

Oshkosh by gosh

K Whopper

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/587a72cbe4fcb54334fd2a77/1507152022167-N42RKOYGJTZ3U1YZNPEL/ke17ZwdGBToddI8pDm48kPl9LGVTk2IxjJtaOIQkNUsUqsxRUqqbr1mOJYKfIPR7LoDQ9mXPOjoJoqy81S2I8N_N4V1vUb5AoIIIbLZhVYxCRW4BPu10St3TBAUQYVKck_-EwpEbnfjQhYDejlt87Ofa_Cp3wOPdJRxQCbju8KRj70it1kAm4y0wUkQqSLJY/72WEB_Blog_1977MTM_Article4.jpg?format=1500w

WotSezU?
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
4 years 2 months ago #205787 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Ruff n Ready
The mighty Hop-Scotch must be working in some rugged country to need the snig chain on the bumper.

• Swishy
  • Topic Author
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
4 years 1 month ago #206623 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Ruff n Ready
SMore ruff n ready

WotSezU?

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
4 years 1 month ago #206648 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Ruff n Ready
The Loadstar certainly is rough, not too sure about ready.

Time to create page: 0.487 seconds