• Swishy
  • Topic Author
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
4 years 2 months ago #206076 by Swishy
Freshly lifted from FaceBook
MARTIN BREAKS SILENCE TO PROTECT REPUTATION OF VOLUNTEERS
Transport Hall of Fame

I have been placed, yet again, in a position of not only having to defend myself, but more specifically, defending the hard work and dedication of my group of ex-volunteers from the Road Transport Historical Society Inc. (Hereafter called the Society.)

I have to date avoided speaking publicly about this whole train wreck so as to minimise damage to the museum during its transitional phase to a new entity. It is an icon. Everyone wants to see it not only survive, but thrive.

There is nothing to be gained by the spite and vicious animousity currently being hurled unjustly towards the volunteers, the past committee or in fact, at me.

The opening comments in the Society's recent membership letter are defamatory and libelous to both myself and my team. The blatant lies and innuendo contained within are truly soul destroying to the many dedicated and loyal volunteers who undertook the administrative and record keeping duties of Society over many years.

There have always been good records kept. They were done exactly as the ATO told us to do when they did their pre GST workshops in 2000.

I am not an accountant, nor was I employed as an accountant. I am a wordsmith not a number cruncher but I have a pretty good grasp on what has to be done. I have always ensured my contract specifically addressed that fact. However, since the Society's inception, along with several treasurers and salaried bookkeepers I have supervised the volunteers who kept very specific records of every transaction of the Society.

To say I am floored by this latest slanderous slap in the face to the volunteers is an understatement of great proportions.

Without Prejudice, I therefore make the following comments with supporting documentation.

1) WEEKLY TAKINGS.
A weekly itemised banking reconciliation spreadsheet complete with itemised till tapes, eftpos tapes, banking slips and associated documentation was done (as pictured) by volunteers, under my supervision, for the last 20 years every Thursday. Thats approx 6,000 pages, 12,000 banking slips and 24,000 till tapes and over 200,000 Eftpos receipts.

2) BANK STATEMENT RECONCILIATION
The monthly bank statement reconciliation where income and expenditure is not only categorised by the type of income or expense it was but is colour coded to simplify understanding.

This was also done by various volunteers for the last 20 years. I have 2 to 3 monthly statements per month for 12 years so thats nearly 600 itemised monthly bank statement reconciliations. Queries about any payment to me large (like book sales) and small (like eBay) are fully accounted for in the spreadsheet and if necessary equalised by a corresponding deduction in my wages.

3) FINANCIALS
The last three years of financials were done but not audited for several reasons including an admitted loss of documentation from the original accountant. So the 'many many years' actually translates to 2016, 2017 and 2019. RECORDS WERE KEPT FOR THOSE YEARS. I actually have a handwritten note from the current accountant calling our spreadsheets "amazing".

There are also several emails asking the accountant to please get it done asap.

4) PETTY CASH
The Petty Cash Reconciliation always has receipts attached. We did go through a lot of pretty cash but it is all documented with receipts. We did not run accounts with our suppliers as they were often abused. We paid cash as we wanted something for better control and hsd trust in our senior volunteers. The Society still owes me and others a petty cash reimbursement.

5) WAGE RECORDS
A wage record spreadsheet was kept (with name deleted here for obvious reasons). For privacy reasons this is something done by our treasurer or in his absence by myself. There have been stuff ups but these were rectified.

The Fair Work Act is the key Commonwealth statutes governing the employment
The payment of wages and entitlements is compulsory. The Society is in breach of this and has not been paid my wages or entitlements or met their Superannuation Guarantee Obligation.

Monies for staff entitlements, not just mine, were kept in an investment account and funds did not have to come from operational monies. On my departure there was nearly $60k in that account and $20k in the trust account.

6) MEMBERSHIP
Membership list is shown here as per spreadsheet. This was kept by volunteers for the last twenty five years and memberships were initially invoiced annually by painstakingly hand writing them all. In later years members were invoiced through MYOB with the exception of one year when the NT Government ordered us NOT too.... then told us we had too the next year? The MYOB records were inadvertantly destroyed by the current regime and as such, rendered inaccessable.

Sherrill is a highly qualified and disciplined school principal and IT teacher. She and her team have spent thousands of hours on the membership register and MYOB invoicing for ten years. For her to be publicly denigrated in his matter is just bloody disgusting.

It is both contrary to the Associations ACT NT 2003 and the Northern Territory Anti-Discrimination Act 1992, to refuse membership to people who do not have an email address. REALLY... this organisation is supposed to be for grass roots old truckies!

I have also been told that myself and the sacked committee are to be struck of the membership list. I trust the $10k fee paid by most and other donated monies and items will be returned. One of the new interim committee took his truck back when he was expelled so he understands the process.

7) MEETING MINUTES
We have always had Annual General Meetings and the required four committee meetings per year. These were provided to the NT Government by both email and hardcopy in several instances.

The last AGM was in Kyabram in 2017. The NT Government ruled this unconstitutional and we were told NOT to have another one as our location was "outside" of their Territory jurisdiction. We were told our interstate committee members were "illegal".

The committee wanted out but were asked to stay on by the NT Government. The Statutory Manager cannot then lie and crucify us for doing what the NT Government ordered us to do.

8) HARRASMENT AND BULLYING.
This is the type of abuse we have had to contend with. This particular person, and a few other keyboard warriors, have carried on with this for ten years. GBS was reported to the NT Government on several occasions and they took NO action. In fact, the Statutory Manager gave him my email address ao he could harass me. He has also been reported to the police.

The fact is he demanded his frame be taken down as it was to him in his words "The Wall of Shame". It was not me that took it down but I am certainly guilty of allowing it to happen.

The vitriol towards me has even extended to the point 'they' have tried to have me 'uninvited' from transport functions I attend in my own right.

9) REUNION DOCUMENTATION
Our policy was that every transaction for every reunion had the till, eft or bank receipts attached to it. This was complicated in 2019 as I was called in at the last minute. My volunteers had three weeks to pull it together. We were sabotaged from the onset. After giving me the contract they firstly cut my phone off, then they cut my email off, both after guaranteeing they would stand until after the reunion.

Then because 'they' couldnt access the money they 'froze' we had to personally buy supplies for framing and food for events. Neither myself or the volunteers have been paid or reimbursed for work or expenses. Even the staff were not being paid at one point and were having to purchase items for work.

10) ASSET REGISTER
A comprehensive list of trucks and vehicles was kept by volunteers and the committee. This not only contained information about who made the loan or donation under what conditions but basic information such as type of engine, fuel, voltage, gear pattern, tyre sizes etc. I provided this to the NT Government twice. They lost it twice and then dared to say it didnt exist!!!.

11) ARCHIVES AND RECORDS
The same volunteer has archived our records for the past ten years. Each box is labelled and a record book kept. Annette was so 'pedantic' in this role it became her nickname. On hand over I personally took the Statutory Manager to the archive room and gave her the book. To see our archive volunteer's efforts so blatantly dismissed is nothing short of disgusting.

12) THE IRONY OF THE TAKEOVER
Myself and two other committee members tried to hand the museum over to the NT Government on THREE separate occasions in the past three years. They refused point blank to take it in each instance. When we were left with no choice but to look interstate..... then they panicked..... then they panicked some more..... and then they seized it. FFS!

The volunteers and myself would have been happy to help the transition.

The Government had already inspected the books and found no improprieties. And in fact, had actually even lost them on one ocassion. It was only that Sherrill made them sign for it that they finally found them.

I have done everything in my power to ensure a smooth handover, signed documents I was happy with (all bar two). I took a new regime delegation on a physical tour of the premises, had reunion volunteers undertake operational duties because the Society was short staffed and I produced a hand over document which I personally handed over that day. (attached).

While we were at the museums for three weeks over the reunion there many times that no-one closed the museum in the evenings opened the entry gate in the mornings, we found a pile of cash where it shouldnt be, the lights and TVs were left on all night, no-one stacked the shelves and souvenirs sat in boxes and were not put out. Mail orders were not sent out as volunteers were told they couldn't afford airbags. I refunded one irate customer from my own funds and have not yet been reimbursed.

13) MAIL
It is a federal offence to interfere with someone elses mail unless duly authorised. The NT Govt, through their appointed Statutory manager, has not only withheld my and other ex committee members mail but instructed staff to open it and dispose of it. I have requested it on several occasions to no avail.

Opening up and tampering with someone elses mail is a criminal offence in Australia under Division 471 - Postal Offences of the Criminal Code Act 1995.

14) CROWN LEASE
While we, the ex-committee, were hit with the big stick of compliance for using the crown lease for activities other than its defined purposes the new regime have been given open slather. We were reprimanded for selling collectables without a second hand dealers licence and operating a camp ground and having staff and volunteers live on site, and having sub standard and non compliant buildings. The NT Government, in an attempt to raise revenue to joodt rapidly dwindling funds, have now decided they do not need to comply with their own rules, or indeed the Commonwealths, in this matter. A level playing field this is not!

15) TENANCY ACT
The current regime have breached the Northern Territory Residential Tenancy Act in several ways including renting out several sub standard residences on site to the public. This is contrary to the purpose of the lease. This is after advising us we could not operate our campground and that all our volunteers who lived on site had to vacate. They have now not only reversed this decision but are openly acting as a public caravan park without registration, accreditation, appropriate insurance or even compliant facilities. They told us the electric work to the ablutions were unsafe, not to be used and needed to be fixed and signed off by an electrician. These ablutions are still being used.

From a more personal perspective I had lived on site for 20 years and my 2IC Sherrill did for ten years. Both of us were banned from entering the site from 26th August immediately after the 2019 reunion. Not only has a paying tenant been moved into my cottage but all my personal effects and furniture have been sold, trashed or disposed of without notice. I was going anyway. What harm would have been done in allowing me or my agent to collect my belongings.

Who cares anout tables snd chairs nut my belongings include significant items such as a roll top desk given to my son from his paternal grandfather (my ex is furious) and items belonging to my father, mother, grandmother and my partner. This was all previously advised (and ignored) to the current regime in writing. I have copies of the emails and I also took photos on my departure day not realising I would be prohibited from returning. I was told by the interim committee it would only be weeks before the Statutory manager would be gone and I could return to get my belongings.

16) VEHICULAR AND OTHER ASSETS
I also still have on site several vehicles, tools, hundreds of books and other display and ancillary equipment at the museum. I have been prevented from collecting these as has my partner been from collecting his. At one point they even tried to have me charged with stealing my own truck. The accountant has my truck book with all the supporting documentation about what is mine. Fortunately I have copies. I do intend to remove all my belongings. I had initially intended to sign over a couple of vehicles but I now retract that.

17) COPYRIGHT
My books and other writings are protected by law. I was contracted to undertake a particular project and to date I have not been paid although the project has been successfully delivered. Most of these works are currently displayed in a public place being viewed for profit under a sponsors name. Copyright law is contained in the Commonwealth Copyright Act 1968 (Copyright Act) and my writing works, under that Act, are automatically protected.

Viva Energy (Shell Rimula) have chosen to ignore my rights in this instance. The current regime told me to "tell someone who cares." I am happy for it all to stay there, I just want my agreed contracted fees. The Society has been paid for it by the sponsor. It has not flowed on to me.

18) DEFAMATION
As most of you know, I am already being sued for defamation supposedly under the Northern Territory Defamation Act 2006. This is for trying to defend myself. This will no doubt give them more fuel.

However, the recent membership letter certainly gives me more fuel for my counter claim. I actually look forward to this finally being resolved through the court system so we can all move on. I know it will all be ok in the long term as you cant be sued with telling the truth.

The sad thing is it will end up costing both parties tens, maybe hundreds, of thousands of dollars we can ill afford.

It has however, certainly provided for some very distressing and frustrating times for me, my friends, my family including my senior volunteers all of whom I am honoured to say have stood by me resolutely. Some have also been threatened with a defamation action for doing so.

19) HERE WE GO AGAIN
This letter will no doubt see me slapped with an injunction but I could not, in good conscience, maintain my silence or keep my mouth shut when I see the very volunteers who built the Hall of Fame from scratch so viciously and unjustly targeted.

Those few who stayed at the Hall were banned from talking to those who left. They were all banned from talking to Sherrill and I. If that is not disruptive and divisive I dont know what is.

Not only are they suing me they have now started on my friends, volunteers and their own membership.

20) VOLUNTEERS
How about a little appreciation for the volunteers that created this icon instead of tearing them down and alienating them from a project they would dearly love to still be involved in. We need to keep that passion and love of the industry within the museum that represents the industry.

This whole process has been one of intimidation and bullying. I can not understand why the volunteers who gave everything when we had nothing, to grow this national icon are being so undeservedly targeted. They think they are getting at me, Ive got a hide like a buffalo and I can rest on my laurels to a degree.

However it is heartbreaking for the volunteers whom actually kept the records and are so dedicated to the industry they love. This is pure spite and payback because they can not work under the new regime.

21) CHEAP SHOTS
I have sat on silence as one cheap shot and lie after another has been thrown at me, the previous committee and my volunteers. Now its my turn......

At this time the National Road Transport Hall of Fame is being run by a person who consistently calls Kenworth, Kenwood, thought Cummins was a type of muffin from McDonalds and asked if Shell were sponsors because Central Australia was once an inland sea.

I kid you not! We were all there.....

She hates the smell of diesel and tyres, doesnt know the difference between wholesale and retail and constantly has difficulty differentiating between what is operational and what is constitutional. IE: what was my job as per my contract versus what are committee responsibilities as per the Associations Act NT under which jurisdiction she was appointed.

21) BENCHMARK US
Everything we ever did was for the benefit of the National Road Transport Hall of Fame. We gave to you, the trucking industry of Australia and to the community of Alice Springs, an iconic multi million dollar home for Australia's trucking heritage with NO support from government and more significantly, NO government funding EVER.

THINK ABOUT IT!
You do not build a museum of such national significance with a multi million dollar infrastructure investment and a multi million dollar vehicular collection with hundreds of thousands dollars in the bank and such a dedicated and loyal group of volunteers without staying on top of your game. Of course we kept records.

I challenge you to benchmark our performance against any other like museum in Australia. And their governments support them!

22) LIZ MARTIN BOOKS
One of the contentious issues currently being investigated is my books and how I 'profited' from the Hall of Fame. I make no apology for making money from my writings. I am passionate about the industry and its history and love writing about it. That is why we are all in business.... to make money!

My contract allowed it and of course, with the museum being my passion, I donated tens of thousands of dollars from book sales over time.

The committee of the Hall of Fame decided not to take on the huge financial risk of publishing the last book as they did not think the current economic climate would support enough sponsorship. With their blessing I took it on myself on the proviso I personally met any shortfall in costs but also retained any profit. I did make a profit from which I donated $50,000 worth of sales to the museum.

I assert the Hall of Fame actually profited from my books and my profile. I had a national profile in the industry and was writing books long before the Hall of Fame was even thought of.

The current regime, incuding a previously expelled member, has not paid me for $7500 (wholesale) they owe me from sales in the 2019 financial year but more significantly they have impounded over $50,000 worth of MY books which I have been prevented from collecting.

23) GOVERNMENT CHAOS
This whole process has been going on for nearly ten years during which we were barraged with a litany of chaos, confusion, contradiction and conflict from not only various officers of the government but also from different departments of the same government.

This letter could be a novel on its own and many of you have been privy to some of the matters. EG: In one instance, on request that we meet with the Department, Sherrill and I flew to Darwin, waited three days, and then flew home without so much as even seeing the building, getting a phone call or even an apology.

24) STORIES FROM THE ROAD MUSEUM.
It has never been any secret that I would be setting up a museum in my retirement. While it will house trucks and buses it is much more diverse than that. The items I have taken (and still have to take) are mine. I have collected all manner of things for 50 years. My ex husband and I had collections in the truck shop when we owned it. My fathers workshop equipment is still held at the Society as are all my tools (painted pink) from our trucking business and catering equipment from our function and event business.

My partner still has buses, coaches and memorabilia there also. He had also unjustly been banned from the site.

25) SOCIETY PROPERTY
I do have some property belonging to the Society in Port Pirie, but not the compactus I was accused of stealing. I took a ute load up Wall of Fame records back to Alice. I had them in Pirie (authorised by committee) because I was contracted to do work on them and publish a book for the 2020 ReUnion. It was on track and the Statutory Managers decision not to publish it does not negate my right to be paid for the work I did. A $200,000+ profit in the Hall's kitty would be welcomed you would think!

Despite being told a 'truck' would come and collect the Halls items it did not turn up. I sent volunteers Bob and Marg up in my ute with a load. I was not reimbursed for fuel or their accomodation which was devidely cheaper than freight rates. I am not silly enough to do it again.

The items I have here are mainly items purchased here and were meant to go into the now defunct collectables shop. It is packed and ready to go whenever they are ready to pick it up!!! It probably amounts to less than $5k when I have around $500k tied up with the Society in unpaid wages, contracts, entitlements, book salesss well as the value of my personal property and vehicles.

26) IN CLOSING
I am not saying we, as an organisation couldnt have done things better. We could have!

I am not saying I as an individual I could not have done some things better. I could have!

I am not saying that some of the things we did were orthodox and I am not saying we didnt bend the rules ocassionally. We did!

Everything we did was always in the best interests of the National Road Transport Hall of Fame. We asked (begged) for help from the NT Government for many years, and did not get it (with a few notable exceptions). We were dealt a mix match of conflict, confusion, contradiction, chaos and challenges from the various officers within the departments and from the various departments within the same government.

This is an open book. There are no secrets. Feel free to ask me anything! While I do not have everything I have a copy (NOTE: COPY) of most things as I was advised legally to do so for my own protection (how prophetic) when I initially resigned a couple of years prior.

I have obviously not wanted my personal business shared all over the internet but have been left with little choice. I have over 10,000 pages of evidentiary information (copies).

If you want to know something just ask!

There is no need to raid my house. Nothing is kept there.

26) BOARDING SCHOOL
For those of you on the interim committee whom self righteously informed the volunteer meeting that the Hall of Fame needed to go to boarding school to grow up...

Thanks for sending it back to kindergarden complete with schoolyard bullies, confused teachers and lessons for the most loyal
that nothing in life is fair.

You mob need to be the grown ups here. Back off the volunteers and pull the bullies into line.

27') THANK YOU
Thank you to all who have supported me in so many ways over the years. Words will never cut it.

It is one thing to have a dream but another to bring it to reality. As it turned out my dream was also the dream of many. It came to fruition thanks to a collective love of our industry and the dedication and determination of the most wonderful family of volunteers, members and friends you could wish for.

I thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

To my group of (ex) volunteers I say,

Do not let them denigrate you with these lies and accusations.

Do not let them take away from you the magnificent job you have done in building this icon.

Do not let them minimise or trivialise your contribution.

Do not take it to heart. Rise above it. We started with an empty paddock and built a living thriving museum, they started with that living thriving going concern and are systematically and bureacratically killing it from the inside.

You are the heroes here. You literally started with nothing and man oh man, did you build something! The good people of this industry know that and appreciate it. I am so sorry you have been hurt by this callousness.

You are the absolute and the only reason the National Road Transport Hall of Fame is there, you are my family, I love you all and I look forward to seeing most of you in just a few weeks. Xxxx

Regards
Elizabeth Martin OAM

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago #206082 by Dave_64
Possibly like many readers, I have no affiliation with the Hall of Fame, in fact have only visited it it once back in 2008 or thereabouts. I neither know or have any connection with either side of this ongoing saga,but just reading the above one can only hope that somehow the situation can be resolved.
Obviously the writer has not only poured a decent part of their life, but to her mind, done the right thing whilst doing it. Like all conflicts, there are two sides to every story, she has openly admitted to making a few "blues". Well, I can only commend her for her forthrightness and candour.
As I said, I know very little about the administration side of how things were carried out, although I had heard it had been dragging on for quite some time.
What a tradgedy it would be if for any reason it were to go the way of so many well meaning projects. Just reading the above, would seem quite a bit of the problems could justifiably be levelled at Government Departments. (Enough said about THEM!)
Again, one can only hope that this finally gets resolved, or a compromise reached.
Dave_64

More
4 years 2 months ago #206130 by roKWiz
I hear on other forums the collection was being split up to go to other museums, is that true ??

Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did

More
4 years 2 months ago #206131 by Mrsmackpaul
It is highly likely to be partly true as Im led to believe that a lot of vehicles are privately owned and I also believe this to be common practice in a lot of museums

I do stand to be corrected on this

As to the rest of business, I have no idea at all

However egos and personal vendetta's have done more to destroy clubs than any outside influence
This isnt just a old vehicle club problem, but all clubs of all different sports and interests

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roderick Smith, roKWiz

More
4 years 2 months ago #206137 by Roderick Smith
It is conspicuously true of my railway hobby.
From my psychology background.
In their paid employment, people may be disgruntled, but the paycheck curbs the frustration.
In their hobbies, they let fly. Tensions and egos dominate.
Most of my hobbies are technical (transport and architecture).
I once saw a group of cat lovers at an exhibition: all claws, fangs and flying fur. The word 'catty' was invented for them.

Roderick

More
4 years 2 months ago #206295 by rex
Hello Roderick
Your comments are spot on. To add a little more how often do you see hard working people get a club up and running where it can coast along without too much work to be to voted out pushed aside by a group of gunners (gunner do this gunner do that) only to destroy the club.
As for the Transport Museum in Alice Springs irrespective of the final outcome and putting opinions aside Liz Martin has spoken out with honesty I wonder if the so called managers now will be as open and honest in time to come
Rex

Making a small effort to save the history of road transport in Australia by being in front of Simms

More
4 years 2 months ago #206366 by mikeg
Press release today from Rosey Batt, an Adelaide Solicitor, who was appointed the Statutary Manager .
Attachments:

More
4 years 2 months ago #206378 by jimbo51
In all of the to & fro that's been going on for quite a while I've seen no mention of, or comments from, the two major commercial sponsors at the RTHOF - Kenworth & Shell. I would have thought that they are major stakeholders and would have valued input.

Has anyone else seen anything from them?

More
4 years 2 months ago #206385 by JOHN.K.
once the professionals come in charging $200-$300 an hour for time booked ,and professional onsite managers @ $2000+ a week,nothing can survive.

More
4 years 2 months ago #206387 by Mrsmackpaul
This is turning into a sad state of affairs

Proves that age doesnt men we are grown up

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Time to create page: 0.543 seconds