Skip to main content

Stuck brake, leaking hose.

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #206261 by asw120
Hi folks, as stated above, I have a back brake stuck on on the White. I note there is a hose leaking which feeds both back chambers via a splitter / relay thingy (although only one side is stuck on).
My question is: can I just take it to any truck parts place to match somerhing up, or do I have to get one made?

Apologies for the crappy picture and thanks in advance.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by asw120.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 month ago #206263 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Stuck brake, leaking hose.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
Attachments:

More
4 years 1 month ago #206264 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Stuck brake, leaking hose.
To my way of thinking you should be able to unbolt the leaky hose and take it and get a fresh one made the same but without the leaks.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
4 years 1 month ago #206265 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Stuck brake, leaking hose.
Looks like a Quick release valve to Me Mate.. Just take it Off & any self respecting Truck parts place should be able sort you out..

meritorpartsonline.com.au/Documents/Part...FLYER%20-%201017.pdf

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
4 years 1 month ago #206266 by 180wannabe
Hi Jarrod. I just take old air hoses into our local hydraulics shop and they make up new ones to match. I replaced all the hoses to the boosters on a bogie drive a couple of years ago in this way.
If you have multiple hoses, just write where they came from/where they fit, on a piece of masking tape around the old hose, but remember to always ask for the old hoses back!

I have also had them make fuel, oil, and coolant hoses for me too.

Brett.

More
4 years 1 month ago #206267 by 180wannabe
Oh and regarding the stuck brake, quite often just rocking the truck in reverse is enough to free them. The shoes will often stick to the drum if the park brake is applied when things are wet, eg: straight after you wash the truck.
Perhaps just make sure the slack adjuster is moving (releasing) the same as the others, then you will know for sure what is actually stuck.
My understanding of it is if the slack adjuster moves (releases) but the wheel won't turn, it means the s-cam is coming away from the shoes, but the shoes must be stuck to the drum. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will correct me if i have got it wrong. Brett.

More
4 years 1 month ago #206268 by Brocky45
Replied by Brocky45 on topic Stuck brake, leaking hose.
Get your leaking hose fixed first as you may not be getting enough air into the can to release the brake. Once you do then check that the slack adjusters move, even if you have to tap them with a hammer. If they do not, check for air leaks from the can, if leaking you will have to replace the maxi can. If they do, then with the dust cover off give the shoe a good rap with a 4 +/- pound hammer. This should break the lining free from the drum. You might have to use a big drift pin depending on room to swing the hammer? Works on both ice and rust.

More
4 years 1 month ago #206270 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Stuck brake, leaking hose.
Thanks for the advice, folks. The truck does drive, but the brake smokes up pretty quick. Slack adjuster does not move LHR only.
The indicated hose is leaking whih I thought would affect both sides.
There's a Maxiparts in town, so I will drop the old hose on the counter next chance I get. Hopefully the chamber is OK.

Cheers, Jarrod.

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
4 years 1 month ago #206276 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Stuck brake, leaking hose.
The hose pulled tight between the chassis mount relay valve and the QR should be replaced longer.....and with maxis .....be very sure you have a set of caging screws that work and some plugs .......cause if you blow a hose or a diaphragm and the maxis lock ,you will have the coppers make you get a smash tow costing $3000 or so.

More
4 years 1 month ago #206299 by Southbound
There's a Maxiparts in town, so I will drop the old hose on the counter next chance I get.
Cheers, Jarrod.[/quote]

Those brake hoses are a standard replacement part at truck parts shops. ALWAYS take a sample... ;)

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.

Time to create page: 0.545 seconds