Skip to main content

I.D on 4 pot Holley carb

More
4 years 1 month ago #206376 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic I.D on 4 pot Holley carb
Jaycar sell one for less than $30.00.

Cheap insurance against an engine with a leg out of bed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Rattail 1927

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #206396 by Rattail 1927

I got the new carb on, you couldn’t tell if you didn’t look....
$30 for a limiter , we have a agent in town and he has the parts in less than a week, be a fool not to, although this is the first experience of a petrol truck engine, I’ve always driven diesels, on the way home my mate was following we pulled up so he could have a cigarette, he said I was going slow , no tacho ( got a 85mm now) and the speedo doesn’t work, haven’t got that far yet, I only drove to what I thought was comfortable at , I must take the T-line fora fun speaking of diesel, haven’t been near it since I got the Acco
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Rattail 1927. Reason: Information
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
4 years 1 month ago #206397 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic I.D on 4 pot Holley carb
I never heard of a 345 blowing up.....Ive had a few in bigger trucks where they had to be revved,and never an issue.......its more than likely if they are over revved bad the hydraulic lifters would pump up ,cutting power for sure.....as I recall the 392 s all had a Holley governor ,with flyweights in the distributor and a pair of diaphragm units on the throttle spindle......Cant rcall ,maybe it was vacuuum operated ? or air?

More
4 years 1 month ago #206398 by Rattail 1927
The 2210 had things on both sides of the throttle shaft. I couldn’t get them off, well I did in the finish and chucked them out....

More
4 years 1 month ago #206400 by Rattail 1927

Zuffen wrote: Jaycar sell one for less than $30.00.

Cheap insurance against an engine with a leg out of bed.

What are they calling it , governor or limiter Zuffen ,??

More
4 years 1 month ago #206402 by JOHN.K.
I would think a sudden cut in ignition in a truck at high revs might tear the centre out of the clutch ,or break a tailshaft......wouldnt be good,I dont think......Better to get a tacho fitted ,or the existing one working.Easy enough with a petrol ,the ignition can run an electronic tacho.

More
4 years 1 month ago #206405 by Rattail 1927
Got the tachometer here and a full compliment of gauges as well , see how I go In the morning, I’m having a can or two tonight
Attachments:

More
4 years 1 month ago #206443 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic I.D on 4 pot Holley carb
Looks like Jaycar disontinued the item I was looking at.have at home.

Check this out.

All high end performance vehicles use electronic ignition cutouts to save engines.

Never heard of a clutch having a fit over it.

www.jaycar.com.au/frequency-controlled-r...le-for-cars/p/AA0377

No doubt some Googling would find more options. After all this all a shift light does.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rattail 1927

More
4 years 1 month ago #206450 by Rattail 1927
I e got a new 85mm electronic tacho for the dash , I’d rather have a shift light , don’t want to spend any more on a tacho , the new one will be staying.
Worse comes to worst I’ll have to keep one eye on the dash and put ear plugs in so I can’t hear 3500 screaming revs , as I said I’ve never driven a petrol truck engine and I drove it like a diesel around 2000 rpm that was guessing the truck didn’t have a tacho . I got bombed for driving to slow , lol

More
4 years 1 month ago #206454 by JOHN.K.
There is no screaming with a V8 petrol IH...they are a lovely quiet motor ,with hydraulic tappets .....and plenty of power at 2000 revs ,or even 1500 for that matter........if you change gear at the rev limit without reason,you will get 1 mile per gallon.......the only guy I knew ever had problems was deaf,and couldnt hear the motor.......he used to burn out clutches in cars and motor bikes too....,Ive towed tri axle trailers with a 345 , a four ton truck running empty will have no trouble....Never bothered with tachos on petrol motors. ,only on big diesels like 680 Leylands where a few too many revs will cause damage.

Time to create page: 0.544 seconds