Skip to main content

Drugs and Trucking

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #206373 by Lang
Drugs and Trucking was created by Lang
In the 60's I found the use of drugs was very widespread in the trucking industry. Just from my observations the majority of long distance truck drivers used either regularly or rarely, in extreme circumstances, drugs to keep awake.

Every depot I went to there was a go-to man who could provide what was required. The "folk-remedies" such as Bex and Coca Cola were common but the drug of choice was Methedrine (Methamphetamine) which is a big seller today among drug users. It was first used way back in 1893 so is nothing new.

In small doses it can be very effective in increasing alertness and it was issued to aircrew during WW2. Unfortunately there is no control over what individuals illicitly take and we can all remember sitting in a truck-stop cafe at 3.00 in the morning listening to some bloke talking his head off, obviously high as a kite.

I have no reason to believe drug use in the industry has been wiped out and it is still a big worry. Stricter compliance checking of hours and RBT swabs and decent sleeper cabs must have made inroads.

The following article is really interesting and shows how self medication with methamphetamines is playing with fire.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methamphetamine

Lang
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Lang.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago #206379 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Drugs and Trucking
The yippy beans were essential if you wanted to work in overnight .....guys wouldnt know whether they were in Brisbane or Melbourne.....But the stuff was quite legal ,and sold at the chemist as "No Doz Awakeners"......most recent place I worked (2000-2010) the boss used to hand out meth to the young guys so they could work 14hr days ,7 days a week,and weed when they were working in the heated tanks ,50deg C in some tanks,and they were hot enough to stay dry outside when it was raining.....Boss s son used to hide the stash in the ACCO I drove ,because the gate guards never searched trucks ,for some reason.....drug testing of workers was always notified in advance ,so druggies could be put on another job offsite.Refinery is closed now,but the tanks are still there ,and still blasted and painted regularly.

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #206380 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Drugs and Trucking
John

No Doz only had very high levels of caffiene. and was only a mild "awakener" Illegal Methamphetamine, by whatever trade name, was the one that really worked and was in widespread use when I saw it in the mid 60's.

It is a huge worry in the community now because a development - crystal meth or Ice - is now plaguing the community with crazed people attacking others, including emergency responders and hospital workers. It might have been a dangerous unregulated tool back in the day but it is now destroying hundreds of lives.
Lang

More
4 years 2 months ago #206386 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Drugs and Trucking
I worked overnight from late 60s and they were handed out like lollies by the employers.

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #206390 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Drugs and Trucking
I have for most of my working life worked in excess of 14 hours every day 7 days a week
I don't do drugs and am drug tested regularly
Doesn't mean anything much at all

I believe it must catch up with me in the end
Shift workers live on a average 10 years less than people that work normal hours
When I have worked nights, even after a month my body still isnt used to it
So it doesn't surprise me that truck drivers driving thru the night, night after night need drugs to help them

I find it interinteresting that in Europe before they really cracked down on truck drivers they did huge hours and travelled long distances as well
Its very strict now and 8 hours a day is all thats allowed and minimum wages are heavily enforced
Truck drivers in Europe I have spoken to hated it at first but now think its the best thing thats ever happened
Forced companies to clean up their actual
Pay properly and look after their drivers

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Mrsmackpaul.

More
4 years 2 months ago #206391 by Lang
No Doz tablet contains 100mg of Caffeine.

A 2017 study found that a 12-oz cup of cold brew coffee can contain between 153 mg and 238 mg of caffeine.

Only advantage of a couple of No Doz over a cup of strong coffee is you do not have to stop for a leak.

Lang

More
4 years 2 months ago #206392 by lantana jack
Replied by lantana jack on topic Drugs and Trucking
Years ago, out Humpty Doo way, I were picking up a ute load of top soil from the local gravel pit and the topic amongst the tipper drivers were the chap that deliberately drove his truck into a pub the night before. Seems he were a known pill popper. Gotta wonder what them drugs do to the mind..:(

“The improver of natural knowledge absolutely refuses to acknowledge authority, as such. For him, skepticism is the highest of duties; blind faith the one unpardonable sin.” Thomas Huxley

More
4 years 2 months ago #206394 by rex
Replied by rex on topic Drugs and Trucking
Gentlemen
We are living in 2020 one fifth of the way through this Century no it is not 1960
Our company has a ZERO tolerance to drugs and alcohol and to ensure we keep it that way random tests are taken.
No one in our Company knows when the certified person will arrive turned up to work recently and there she was lovely lady who said your next Sir yes no one misses out. And it comes with a cost currently our budget is $120.000.00 a Year so far it has proved to be a good investment.
Rex

Making a small effort to save the history of road transport in Australia by being in front of Simms
The following user(s) said Thank You: Morris, Lang, 235mack

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #206401 by Lang
Good to see Rex.

Unfortunately drug use is so prevalent in the general community that use by truckies - or any employee for that matter - is more than likely little to do with their job.

What a disaster that drug testing is even required in a vast number of occupations and work sites. I despair when my 16 year old grandson estimates nearly half his class mates at a top high school have tried drugs and a small number are regular users of marijuana. He says it can be had any day from student suppliers often sourced from their parents stash!!!!!

Lang

More
4 years 2 months ago #206403 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Drugs and Trucking
The crew from the sandblasters turned up for a blast and paint job for a yankee company..CBI....and instead of the refinery testing being OK,CBI did a test on the lot of them as soon as they came thru the gate.Result 13 out of 15 failed and suspended for a month ......two passed were me and another old guy....Col went crazy when I rang him,and somehow it was my fault.....He had no "insider " at CBI either ,so he didnt know who to pay off .Col sacked me ,so I went to the woman in the office and said I wanted 2 days in lieu.........Col was banging on my door next morning wanting to know why I wasnt at work....He went crazy when he found about the two days pay......but he never got it back.....but they dudded me over leave ,and docked it off my holiday pay.......The young guys were always spreading stories about me,like I had a heart attack,or a stroke......Funny thing is one of the partners still believes it.

Time to create page: 0.527 seconds