Skip to main content

Rebuilding a truck battery

More
4 years 2 months ago #206416 by Lang
This is absolutely fascinating. Necessity is the mother of invention and these blokes have it down pat. I particularly like the electric "soldering" iron.

The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Morris, Southbound, Zuffen, oliver1950

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago #206420 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Rebuilding a truck battery
Quite remarkable.

Not sure I would take the health risks of a job in the factory.

More
4 years 2 months ago #206422 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Rebuilding a truck battery
Used to be a battery repairer in Ipswich ,Qld .....he used to make and repair the old fashioned batteries that had hard rubber cases and were sealed at the top with poured in bitumen.....if a battery started leaking ,all you needed to do was to run a blowtorch over the top to melt the bitumen.......probably best to vent the hydrogen first.

More
4 years 2 months ago #206433 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Rebuilding a truck battery
Last time I rang he had retired, as he no longer had the strength to lift them. (Progress batteries).

He was still going until maybe 10 - 15 years ago.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
4 years 2 months ago #206434 by wee-allis
There was a guy in Kirrawee in Sydney know as CODA, (Cash on Delivery Arthur ), Batteries, who I believe started in the early 50s reconditioning and selling batteries. The business later just sold new batteries and electrical stuff. Great to do business with, very fair and cheap. Haven't dealt with them for some years but believe they are still in business.

More
4 years 2 months ago #206437 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Rebuilding a truck battery

JOHN.K. wrote: Used to be a battery repairer in Ipswich ,Qld .....he used to make and repair the old fashioned batteries that had hard rubber cases and were sealed at the top with poured in bitumen...

There used to be a Battery manufacturer in the a small country town near where I grew Up who did the same. Dad or My Grandfather would take the Old battery Down to Him & he'd swap the Old Internals for new Ones...

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
4 years 2 months ago #206444 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Rebuilding a truck battery
Not sure if it is right but I thought it was 'pitch' used on the tops of the old batteries and not bitumen. I remember we had a blob of it in the corner of the back yard and on a cool day if you hit it wih a hamme it would shatter a piece off and the freshly broken surface would be glistening shiney where the outside was a dull flat appearance. In heat it became soft and spongy and you could shape it into differnet things.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
4 years 2 months ago #206445 by Oilman
Replied by Oilman on topic Rebuilding a truck battery
Pitch is derived from petroleum, coal tar, or plants. Various forms of pitch may also be called tar, bitumen, or asphalt.

1975 Atkinson, 180HP 6LXB Gardner, RTO910, 34000lb Rockwell on camelback
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
4 years 2 months ago #206455 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Rebuilding a truck battery
Probably something special for batteries......I recall the electric power system used to use a stuff just like the batteries to seal water out of mains power connections in substations and on poles....I believe sulfur will dissolve in either tar or bitumen when hot and set hard.

More
4 years 2 months ago #206467 by Oilman
Replied by Oilman on topic Rebuilding a truck battery

JOHN.K. wrote: Probably something special for batteries......I recall the electric power system used to use a stuff just like the batteries to seal water out of mains power connections in substations and on poles....I believe sulfur will dissolve in either tar or bitumen when hot and set hard.

Sulphur is a cross linking agent and will harden products like rubber and bitumen.

1975 Atkinson, 180HP 6LXB Gardner, RTO910, 34000lb Rockwell on camelback

Time to create page: 0.486 seconds