Skip to main content

Automatic emergency braking

More
4 years 4 weeks ago #207682 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Automatic emergency braking
eerfree,
I hope you reported their registration number to the Police. What hope do we have when parents reinforce this type of behavior? If this person uses her phone while LEARNING to drive, what will she do when she is a confident (not competent) driver?

I taught my two daughters to drive ( sit down, make yourself comfortable so you can reach all the controls, adjust all the mirrors so you can see what you need each one to see, fasten your seat belt, THEN start the engine, etc.) and would not allow them to switch on the radio, during a lesson and would only allow them to talk about what was relevant to what they were doing at the moment. The elder one, the more independent of the two once disputed my instruction on which lane to be in whilst going through a roundabout. I immediately told her the lesson was over and directed her straight home. She did what she was told on future lessons.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 weeks ago #207688 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Automatic emergency braking
Morris,

I did the same no radio for a few months but insisted the radio be on well before they sat for their licence on the basis once they had their licence they would have the radio on.

I would rather they were up to speed with having that distraction before they set off by themselves.

Within a fortnight of gaining their licence both had completed a defensive driving course and now with 19 years diving between them we have 1 speeding fine of 5 over and 1 at fault accident that cost $1,000.00. One drives a Mazda RX8 and the other drives a Mitsubishi Evo VIII and a Motorcycle.

They also know how to hold a steering wheel at 1/4 to 3 , not like most learners (and older drivers) at 10 to 2 or 5 to 1.

More
4 years 4 weeks ago #207697 by eerfree
Replied by eerfree on topic Automatic emergency braking
Morris,
I was walking with the dog and when I looked around I tripped over the poor little bugger so missed the rego.

Bob,
I do not know how I got over the hill without ever getting to the top.

More
4 years 4 weeks ago #207698 by Blackduck59
Zuffen, you forgot the 6 o'çlock 1 hand position many seem to like these days

More
4 years 4 weeks ago #207700 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Automatic emergency braking
I see lots of drivers, young and older but never elderly, with both hands on top of each other, resting on top of the wheel at the 12 o'clock position. They are relying on friction between their hands and the top of the wheel and if they hit an obstacle or pot hole, the wheel would spin out of their control and they would crash.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #207720 by eerfree
Replied by eerfree on topic Automatic emergency braking
-- and when they crash and the air bag goes off where do there fists end up !!!!

Bob,
I do not know how I got over the hill without ever getting to the top.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #207722 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Automatic emergency braking
A driving instructor once told me "if you want to drive with your hands any higher then 1/4 to 3 wear a distinctive watch. As the watch will be imprinted on your forehead when the airbag goes off".

Similar problem for passengers who put their feet on the dash (why you would do it I can't fathom) as when the airbag goes off is blows their legs back past their head. Some serious leg and hip injury and the possibility of having a foot or both blown off.

More
4 years 1 week ago #208475 by Roderick Smith
200226W-Melbourne'HeraldSun'-automatic.braking.

Roderick

Attachments:

More
4 years 6 days ago #208513 by Bobsboy
Replied by Bobsboy on topic Automatic emergency braking
hi,

Would/ does automatic braking work for those "hit the wrong pedal" types - usually well over 70 years of age, that launch themselves through the front window of the local Pharmacy or Coffee Shop?

Or, the ones that fly down the driveway in reverse at full speed across the road, down the neighbours driveway and into their front bedroom?

To bad there isn't an automatic fix for that.

just saying

-b

Mucking about on the edge

More
4 years 6 days ago #208514 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Automatic emergency braking
Corona Virus.

Time to create page: 0.460 seconds