Skip to main content

What engines and, or gearboxes are being swapped into Austin K2 or K4 trucks

More
4 years 1 week ago #208353 by charlie chapman
I am trying to find out, what particular petrol or diesel engines are being swapped legally into Austin K2 and K4 trucks, to give greater road speed and power? Also which gearboxes , manual, with SYNCHRO, or auto, that will mate up to the Austin 4 liter engine?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 week ago #208356 by JOHN.K.
I once bought an Austin with a Hiab crane ,just to get the crane.....Truck had a P6 Perkins and the gearbox was a Dennis...4 speed ,just like a bigger Blitz box.....At Mullimbimby.......Guy offered to drive it up to Brisbane for me ,unregd and loaded with junk ....motor ran smokey and noisy , the gearbox howled like a siren .....or a Roadranger ...Anyhoo ,he made it ...almost.... ,couldnt find my house ,and left the truck parked up.....Talk about drama......used that truck and crane for years ,even a few road trips....the Perk had .008 "clearance in the mains ,but just went and went.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlie chapman, cobbadog

More
4 years 1 week ago #208363 by Lang
Charlie

I know some people will think it is sacrilege but it looks like you want a vehicle for regular use.

Sad as it may seem, there is no combination of original Austin engine/gearbox that is going to give you a reliable truck to keep up with modern traffic particularly on the highway with a minimum easy cruise speed of at least 80kmh. You have to decide if you want a basically original vintage vehicle and take all the restraints of low power, low speed and reduced reliability if used very regularly or you want a usable truck with modern expectations of power, speed and reliability.

You will be disappointed with a half/half approach after spending heaps of money and time.

In my opinion you need to look at replacing the engine, gearbox and at least diff, if not whole axle. Why bugger around searching for rare gearboxes and then adaptors etc when there are hundreds of "turnkey" options available. A complete Toyota Dyna. Mitsubishi Canter, and dozens of others, engine and overdrive synchro gearbox lift outs would give you all the daily use performance you could use in your old truck with its steering, braking and suspension limitations. Any of those will sit you on 80kmh easily.

You will have no problem getting a blue plate to replace a 6 cylinder with a modern 4.

Just my two bobs worth. As I said there will be those who disagree.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Southbound, Rattail 1927

More
4 years 1 week ago #208366 by charlie chapman
Thanks Lang, you are absalutely correct, I want to make this truck an almost daily driver, it's not going to be just for shows only. I want it to be registered in Victora, so I like the suggestion of total transplant of engine , transmission and rear axle into my K2 truck. I'm located near Warragul

More
4 years 1 week ago - 4 years 1 week ago #208368 by Lang
Charlie

I am in Brisbane but I would be looking for suitable old trucks from say, the 85- 90 period or even later on Gumtree etc. There are many out there that have become too rusty or beat up to be used commercially but with good running gear. You might find one that can not only donate its engine and gearbox but have an axle of about the right width.

You might be better looking at say a 60 series Landcruiser or MQ Nissan Patrol. They would have a nice set-up with gearstick in the right place wheras Dyna and Canters would require messing with sticks. Don't worry about the 4x4 transfer just let it sit there doing nothing. if you wanted to go petrol there are thousands, everything from old F-trucks to Holdens even later Bedfords.

Lang
Last edit: 4 years 1 week ago by Lang.

More
4 years 1 week ago - 4 years 1 week ago #208373 by Southbound
How about fitting your cabin to a later truck? It gives the look without the hassles, and good road speed with brakes too! Best to talk to a Victorian Engineer before starting any mods. HTH

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.
Last edit: 4 years 1 week ago by Southbound.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
4 years 1 week ago #208374 by hayseed
here you Go Charlie. This is what Southbound was alluding to..

This was at the harden Truck Show last Month.. A Holden One Tonner chassis, with an LS1 Motor..

https://www.hcvc.com.au/forum/attachment/16574

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlie chapman

More
4 years 1 week ago #208380 by Zuffen
Doing a body swap onto a later vehicle's chassis would require the cab to meet the ADR's applicable to the age of the chassis.

I would look very carefully at what is needed as updating door locks and steering columns plus things like 2 speed wipers and heater demister may be hard.

As Southbound said speak with an Engineer.

More
4 years 1 week ago #208385 by Morris
Charlie,
As others have said, speak to an engineer first. I believe body swaps have been illegal for several years in Victoria, the Nanny State.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
4 years 1 week ago - 4 years 1 week ago #208396 by Sarge
Charlie, I probably agree with LANG, but there does seem to be a lot of work to achieve and image. I have a mate who has an Austin Loadstar that gallops along above 80k and will crack a 100 if he keeps the foot down, original running gear except it has got a 3 speed joey box running back to front.

This truck was made into a motor home from new..... and now up for sale I believe.

on its way to Alice Springs with me and Scout 2010 ..... need to do it again me thinks....

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 1 week ago by Sarge.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlie chapman, PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.590 seconds