Skip to main content

What engines and, or gearboxes are being swapped into Austin K2 or K4 trucks

More
4 years 1 week ago #208417 by JOHN.K.
Slight fly in the ointment is if you have a crash in one of the old tin boxes doing 100ks ......you are going to look like a jelly do nut when they cut you out......the doors wont stay put either.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlie chapman

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #208828 by charlie chapman
I don't know anything about joey boxes. What is most suitable to fit behind the Austin 4sp and 4 litre motor? Is the joey connected via a short tail shaft in , then another shortened one to go to the diff?

More
3 years 11 months ago #208829 by Mrsmackpaul
Do you need a joey box ?

The reason I ask is I believe you only need a joey box if you are still pplaning on pulling loads about, if you are planing on running around almost empty why not just get a 1.5-1 or 1.75-1 gear box new, there are plenty avaliable for industrial purposes and for all different power ratings

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 11 months ago #208832 by Lang
Paul

I think he wants an overdrive joey box. I am sure the old gearbox is more than low enough for his purposes.

Everyone to his own but I can't see the value in all that work on an Austin with all the other constraints of low power, very average brakes trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear. I think Charlie would be better with a full repower and matching box as discussed above.

Charlie

A joey box (the most popular light ones are Brown-Lippe - "Browny") just goes under the chassis with a short shaft from the gearbox and a shortened tail shaft out the back.

Lang

More
3 years 11 months ago #208854 by JOHN.K.
There isnt much point gearing up a 90hp motor ,you will probably end up going slower ....If you have a K2 ,the original diff ration is 5.85 ,and with 7.50x20 tyres ,this will tax the power of the motor at any revs.....I know from driving a Ford blitz with 12.00x20 tyres ,you can do 70mph on the flat ,but the slightest rise or headwind ,you just lose revs and power .....obviously answer is a Roadranger ,dunno if anyone has put one in a Blitz.....probably have ,I know a guy with a 13 speed in a 1300 inter ute........Anyhoo ,my point is 5.85 is plenty high ratio for an Austin truck

More
3 years 11 months ago #208877 by overnite

JOHN.K. wrote: There isnt much point gearing up a 90hp motor ,you will probably end up going slower ....If you have a K2 ,the original diff ration is 5.85 ,and with 7.50x20 tyres ,this will tax the power of the motor at any revs.....I know from driving a Ford blitz with 12.00x20 tyres ,you can do 70mph on the flat ,but the slightest rise or headwind ,you just lose revs and power .....obviously answer is a Roadranger ,dunno if anyone has put one in a Blitz.....probably have ,I know a guy with a 13 speed in a 1300 inter ute........Anyhoo ,my point is 5.85 is plenty high ratio for an Austin truck

13 speed in a 1300 Inter. An exercise in futility?

More
3 years 11 months ago #208887 by JOHN.K.
Maybe ,but his current project is putting a V 8 Caterpillar in it .....and he says there are plenty of Inter utes around with 3208 s and 13 speeds.......he s also wanting air start.

More
3 years 10 months ago #211386 by rupert
Hi Charlie,
I have heard that fitting the Austin coach diff, makes for a better speed for long runs, a bit less wine.
regs
Rupert
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlie chapman

More
3 years 10 months ago #211403 by charlie chapman
Whch Austin "Coach" are you referring to? Can you tell me the diff rtio of the coach diff you re referring to. My truck will be on the road mostly cruising empty, or minimal weight on the back. So I am not looking for this vehicle to be able to haul heavy loads

More
3 years 1 month ago #219439 by rupert
Hi Charlie sorry for the wait but I lost password etc ,
I was told the coach was better, But i cannot find that information.
austin diff ratios3 ton petrol 5.8-1 (78G 1007)
3 TON DIESEL 4.71-1 (78G 1008)
2 speed, 5.83-1,8.11-1, (7H 8537,)
note Austins were built under lic, by Nissan, Alloy head and other bits.
may help
regs
Rupert

Time to create page: 0.469 seconds