Skip to main content

C1600 Parts/Service manual.

More
3 years 11 months ago #210023 by Bimbadeen
Would anyone on the forum have available Parts or Service Manual for 1970 era International C 1600.

Fleetparts in Qld have reproductions in stock at $100 and $160 respectively ...... I guess that's the going price.

Thank you
Maurice

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #210029 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic C1600 Parts/Service manual.
Dont waste money on the Cline service manual ..its junk.....the AB manual is the one to find ,its a beauty ,and best of the Inter manuals ....any of the earlier "Scientific Publications " ones are good too ,but gettin a bit outdated,......Anyway ,I wouldnt bother any more ,all the necessary details are online ,free .

More
3 years 11 months ago #210042 by Bimbadeen
Fleetparts have a C 1600 Parts manual ...... I'm wondering if that maybe worth getting?

More
3 years 11 months ago #210043 by IHScout
Replied by IHScout on topic C1600 Parts/Service manual.
The parts manual will give you exploded diagrams of how things fit together but not step by step instructions. It can be of some use, but fairly limited. Also, all the part numbers are International codes that mean nothing to anybody else even when they are standard third party products. Back in the day the parts counter at the International Dealer would've had a cross reference book to find the relevant part number for a third party provider product.

Dennis

More
3 years 11 months ago #210047 by Bimbadeen
Replied by Bimbadeen on topic Engine Oil.
What grade of engine oil is recommended for C 1600 with 281 engine?

Thanks

More
3 years 11 months ago #210048 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic C1600 Parts/Service manual.
From the Castrol Spec sheet.

International 281 Petrol Engine
Castrol GTX 20W-50

Alternative
Castrol RX Diesel 15W-40 (Recommended for older vehicles with non-hardened valve seats using modern unleaded fuel)

Shell

Helix HX5 15W-40

Helix HX3 20W-50 (For older or worn engines)

All oil companies have equivalents. Probably the most common grade of oil on the market.

Note in the Shell info:
Synthetic oil is of little benefit to older petrol engines.

Lang

More
3 years 11 months ago #210049 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic C1600 Parts/Service manual.
Is it an old wives (husbands) tale that the new synthetic oils wash out the interior of the motor and lead to leaks, but mineral oils continue to gunk up and keep the oil in behind the old seals. EMNTK.

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #210051 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic C1600 Parts/Service manual.
Tips for Using Synthetic Oils in Older Models

When using the term “older” to refer to cars, it means those manufactured before 1990 or so. The risk with these models is that the seals, gaskets, and other components often aren’t as tight as with newer models. Because synthetic oil does a better job of cleaning out sludge, it could remove deposits that are acting as seals. This could result in leaks that cause the engine to burn oil and require you to monitor your oil levels and replace it more often. If you don't, you risk damaging the engine or other components.

It’s not accurate to say that you should never use synthetic oil in an older car. In fact, Castrol EDGE High Mileage is a synthetic oil designed specifically for high-mileage cars. If the car has been maintained and is in excellent running condition, the synthetic oil may protect the vehicle and prolong its life. Also, anytime you change from conventional oil to synthetic oil, always make sure to change the oil filter with every oil change.

And another one.

Risks of Using Synthetic Oil in Older Cars
Some mechanics may caution you against using synthetic oil on your car, despite its many benefits. This is because many synthetic oils contain esters, which are organic compounds mixed with alcohol. This particular combination can be extremely rough on seals within the engine, which can cause the seals to wear down and begin to leak or burn oil.

Although newer cars can handle esters with ease, some older vehicles may have seals, gaskets, and plugs that are not as tight as in newer cars. Built-up sludge from the use of conventional oil may be acting as an assist to these seals. The ability of synthetic oil to clean out this sludge, typically seen as a good thing, may remove deposits that are acting as seals in your older car’s engine.
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Lang.

More
3 years 11 months ago #210087 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic C1600 Parts/Service manual.
Sarge:-X
I don't know about synthetic oils but I do know that most modern non-synthetic (natural) oils have a high detergent level in them that will dissolve old deposits of crud that has a danger of moving and blocking oilways in used engines. Many manufacturers of the oils proudly advertise that they will "clean out" old built up crud but do not say that it may break off in chunks that will cause very expensive damage.
The rule of thumb is to only use high-detergent oils in engines that have been thoroughly cleaned out of all build up of deposits and if the engine has not been thoroughly stripped down and every part cleaned, use a more expensive non-detergent oil. OK it costs more than el-cheapo but the best oil might cost up to say, $100 but an engine overhaul will cost anything between $3000 and $30,000. You don't have to change oil very often.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
3 years 11 months ago #210088 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic C1600 Parts/Service manual.
With current oils ,the thing to be careful of is zinc additive for tappet wear ......oils compliant with current cars do not have zinc as it poisons the expensive exhaust bits........consequently ,if you use nothing but a proper truck diesel oil ,you wont have to worry.The motors that require some care with oils are two stroke GMs ,as they burn lots of oil .

Time to create page: 0.520 seconds