Skip to main content

My latest Toy: A dodge AT4 with a difference

More
3 years 11 months ago #210366 by bparo
My replacement vehicle for my XP Ute arrived over the weekend before the XP has been sold. It just happened to be available at the right price so we grabbed it

I can't call it a restoration, more a collection of saved parts. Its an AT4 Dodge Cab on a Holden HZ one/tonner chassis. It was only engineered and registered in January 2020. The drivetrain is pure old school hotrod with a 350 Chev, Ford 9 inch diff etc.

The history of the vehicle is it was built by the deceased father of the guy I purchased it from. His dad was a panel beater with a Dodge AT4 tow truck which suffered some damage to the rear (accident?) but as the cab was unharmed and they kept it replacing the truck with a tilt tray.
Years later an HZ Holden one tonner came in with enough panel damage to be an "economic write off". It was purchased and the drivetrain inserted into the family wagon.
His Dad then made the parts he had into what you see here. The cabin and guards are still standard dodge. People walking past think it's a restored dodge... until the motor starts
It needs some chrome trim refitted (all bar one dog-leg is there) and will be having power steering and air-conditioning fitted to make it a comfortable tourer.
According to my mechanic who went up and inspected it then brought it back to me to take a break it has a cruising diff ratio in it. It should do what we want easily.
So for now it's to the mechanic for a check over to make sure he is happy it's all safe. Then it's just a tidy up while the lock down is in progress then cruising when it eases.

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Lang, Mrsmackpaul, invested energy, PaulFH, roKWiz, oliver1950

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #210368 by hayseed
Very Nice Bruce.

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
3 years 11 months ago #210370 by Swishy
Noice toy Breuceman
To save any dramas
how long is the NSW roadworthy good for?
Do Vic recognise NSW RWC?
if RWC stihl good transfer to vic reg now and get a refund on the NSW reg
the longer U leave the more rules n laws R likely to change
jist my 2 cents worth TAX FREE
butt
WaddaEyeKno
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
3 years 11 months ago #210372 by wee-allis
Glad it worked out for you Bruce, drive it and enjoy.

More
3 years 11 months ago #210377 by PaulFH
Looks great Bruce, nice long tray.
Hope you enjoy many comfortable trips.
Happy motoring. Paul.

More
3 years 11 months ago #210378 by Sarge
What a great upgrade, from classic to attitude..... there will be a lot of envy as your grumble by...... 80 Kph in first with the window down along the shopping strip to get the best echo..... yep

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 11 months ago #210387 by cobbadog
What a true beauty. There is hours of fun to be had in that once your out to play. What type of a/c system are you thinking of? I've looked at one that would suit Lorry, an under dash style one and my only hesitation at the moment was the mounting bracket for the compressor and the room to mount it. Everything else looks as if it would fit up well.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
3 years 11 months ago #210389 by overnite

cobbadog wrote: What a true beauty. There is hours of fun to be had in that once your out to play. What type of a/c system are you thinking of? I've looked at one that would suit Lorry, an under dash style one and my only hesitation at the moment was the mounting bracket for the compressor and the room to mount it. Everything else looks as if it would fit up well.

Bruce your NSW rego details
Attachments:

More
3 years 11 months ago #210397 by Zuffen
Can I ask what the white door stop is on the floor under the brake pedal is for?

If the pedal can reach the stopper I would be a lot more than a little concerned.

More
3 years 11 months ago #210398 by husky
Could the white be the end of the hand brake setup, it looks like its mounted on the underside of dash and the shot angle makes it appear like its under the brake pedal ,could be mistaken beautiful truck by the way Paul,

Time to create page: 0.561 seconds