Skip to main content

My latest Toy: A dodge AT4 with a difference

More
3 years 5 months ago #215716 by bparo
Some sneak peaks of the changes to the Dodge / Dodgey HZ / Dolden/ Dodden.

Covid-19 has caused issues. Both with the supply of parts and daily driver vehicles coming into the mechanic's for a small job which grows as other neglected things need to be fixed

A good turbo 350 transmission was purchased and since it had been sitting for a couple of years it made sense to get an automatic transmission guy to go through it, check seals and bands etc.
However upon discussion about what the vehicle will be used for we ended up shift-kitting the transmission so unless it is in drive it works like a clutchless manual, upgrading to a 2500 rpm stall converter (which will still lock up like normal unless you push the foot down heavily). The 2 week build took 10 weeks due to supply chain issues and the torque converter builder being closed down due to a worker having a positive case just as the torque converter arrived.

It now has power steering and heating/air conditioning. A Lokar shifter has been fitted and while the transmission bolted straight in we found the Muncie 4 speed had been rubbing so we are massaging a bit more clearance into the gearbox cover to ensure we don't have the same issue

We also checked and it's got 2.75 ratio diffs in the Ford Diff.

A brace has been fitted under the dash to support the firewall and brake pedal to remove the flex.

Once the tunnel is massaged and fitted the floor will be fitted with Dynamat to control heat and sound and a new dodge rubber floor mat fitted. New door rubbers and the chrome missing in the pictures have been acquired (including some NOS parts) so we are getting close (finally).

While Covid-19 has been causing us problems with the build it has also meant we can't drive it anywhere anyway so we are following the preferred practice of doing it once and doing it right!
It's been set up as a cruiser while still being able to have a bit of fun and tow a sma

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, wee-allis

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 months ago #215717 by Blackduck59
On the floor/firewall, after the Dyna Mat I added a layer of dual density foam with foil backing (Clark Rubber). It is around 12mm thick. 27 degree day and my exhaust is alongside the steering column i can only just feel a bit of warmth coming through the firewall while cruisin
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: bparo, cobbadog, PaulFH

More
3 years 5 months ago #215752 by Urchy87
Looks great. With the added touches you have done it will make a great cruiser. Enjoy.

Adventure before Dementia.

More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #215834 by bparo
Thanks Urchy,

Now for some more sneak pictures,

Firstly the interior. The gearbox cover has been massaged and allows for some drivetrain movement without rubbing on the floor.
The Dynamat is starting to be fitted to give some noise and thermal insulation. The cable you see goes to a box that controls the gearshift indicator, reversing lights, only allows the vehicle to start in park or neutral etc. These are normally mounted under the vehicle but we decided to put it in a corner under the seat as we had the space and there's less chance of muck getting into the electrical connections. As the vehicle is low but legal it stops sticks etc dragging the wires out too.
I purchased a dodge floormat from Fleetparts Toowoomba so that will be going in to keep the old truck look. The idea is to have it look like it could be factory with a set of wheels to the casual observer. Of course those who know their trucks, particularly Dodges, or read this thread will know differently. Sitting in the mechanic's workshop it's attracting attention as people say "Nice Dodge", and his friends in the hot rod club agree with Urchy that will be a comfortable, relaxed long distance cruiser

Then I realised I had no pictures of the engine bay so here are a couple. The carbie looks bigger than the one's on my XP, tractors and Inter combined! I was told that with the engine drivetrain combo it should get into the low 20 mpgs with a light foot . However that doesn't sound as good!
So the current specs are 35o small block Chev. shift-kitted turbo 350 gearbox with a 2500rpm stall converter and 9 inch ford diff with 2.75 gears. To use a racing analogy At Bathurst it won't be leading into the first corner but will be by the end of conrod straight!
Modern stall converters won;t always slip to the specified RPM. At light throttle they will lock up earlier but this was done as the wife want's to be able to tow a small van with it so it keeps the motor in it's powerband while still using the cruising diff. The other option would have been to change diff ratios but this setup should give better mileage when cruisung

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by bparo. Reason: try to turn engine pictures right way up
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, Southbound

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
3 years 5 months ago #215839 by Swishy
BruceMan
gudday m8
gr8 pix keep m cummn

Bloody Ol Hoon
:lol: :) :lol:

LOL
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
3 years 5 months ago #215844 by asw120
I haven't worked the revs at speed out yet, but I'm thinking you'll want a good transmission cooler with that much slip going on. I'll be very interested to read how it goes in real world driving. I'm thinking it might feel a lot like a Torque-flite equipped Valiant.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
3 years 5 months ago #215866 by Zuffen
To get a 350 with 4 barrel to give 20+MPG you will need a size 1 shoe.

Perhaps if it was injected but the torque converter is going to make it interesting at lower speeds as it will want to hold the low gears for much longer than a stock one.

More
3 years 5 months ago #215897 by bparo
According to my mechanic and the transmission builder modern stall converter upgrades use the stall speed as the maximum revs it stops slipping. The older method of doing it meant it would only stop slipping at that speed.
There is a transmission cooler now installed at the front of the vehicle. It came as part of the package from the transmission rebuilder. The lines have been run inside the chassis rails to protect them and keep things tidy.
As the carbie is bigger than the ones on the Inter, XP and tractors combined i was dubious about 20mpg when a standard V8 one tonner gets around 400 km to the tank. I expect it will chew more fuel than the XP but not as much as the AR162 as the chev won't be working as hard at 100kmh as the others were at 80 kmh

The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 5 months ago #215900 by Zuffen
When its all sorted it will be interesting to see what it does.

Would be good to get over 20MPG out of it.

More
3 years 5 months ago #215923 by cobbadog
Like so many engines running a carby the right foot will dictate fuel usage.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Time to create page: 0.692 seconds