Skip to main content

Neat arrangement.

More
3 years 9 months ago #211525 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Neat arrangement.
Morris wrote"- "Just because "somebody thinks they are a viable proposition, does not mean they are any good."

Yep! Just look at shoulder pads for women's jackets, pointy toes on shoes, hood ornaments on vehicle bonnets! Or how about the all time classic! Tail fins on a 1957 De Soto!
List goes on and on.
Wasn't going to waffle, original post thought (like a lot of things) that it "wasn't a bad idea"). At the time!
Like Steve McQueen's character, Vin, in the Magnificent Seven, always coming out with gems of wisdom until Chris (Brynner) tells him to can it!

Bit off beam, but there WERE a few good ideas that for differing reasons were not persevered with.
1962 Skoda Octavia had a fabric blind that was on a chain and operated from inside the cabin to raise or lower the engine temperature by blanking off air to the radiator. Probably common on a few European vehicles.
Isn't that a poor mans version of the "Cadillac" shutter-stats that beloved Pete's and KW's ran? Same principle only better applied.
Not defending the product by any means, as said before. I thought it looked neat, a nifty idea (maybe at first glance), you blokes have obviously taken a harder look than I and shot a few holes in it, no sweat!!

So, until my next project arrives (should be here by the end of the week), I'll sit on the side and "observe".
Then there WILL be some questions asked!
Cheers, Dave.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #211539 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Neat arrangement.
The dual axle HQ (and AU/BA Falcon) was set up that way as it still used standard driveline components and made them a 'two tonner" (1.5 to 1.8 tonne load really). They also allowed you a longer legal tray / load area.

The original axles wouldn't handle the extra weight nor the stress caused by dual wheels on each end. it caused excessive pressure on the bearings when turning.

I remember seeing a write in a street machine magazine where someone had taken the holden "two tonner" and but a locker (or locked memory fades) the diffs and the shaft between. The picture was at summernats with no tray and 4 rear tyres being fried, twice as much smoke as a 2 wheel drive ... until the clutch gave out!

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #211541 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Neat arrangement.

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Swishy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
3 years 9 months ago #211544 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Neat arrangement.
Obviously why the "bogie" HQ tow truck had the 8stud Dana rear end. Std one-tonner wouldn't handle it.
Easier to just adapt your front Holden hubs to the same 8 stud, only worry about one spare then.
Looking at the prices quoted in Swishy's post below, don't think I'd be lashing out like an Arab prince.

More
3 years 9 months ago #211547 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic Neat arrangement.

JOHN.K. wrote: The F450 I saw ,the old guy (80+) had two old biddys directing him to try and get around the carpark.....the thing couldnt turn in the painted line corners ,then the old guy couldnt back it.....Not the worst ,a while back there was a giant Mercedes mobile home with a 80 yr old driving,(I use term loosely),and he ended up blocking the entrance and couldnt back up ......and it would have had a reverse camera for sure.

JK, I hear that, think an ocean liner has a better turning circle than my F350. Trying to find a longer pitman arm to give it a little more turn. Have the clearance to all hard parts for the wheels to turn some more

Time to create page: 0.474 seconds