Skip to main content

Old Hume Highway Tumblong

More
3 years 10 months ago #211561 by Dave_64
Looking at an old road map some mate had hidden in his shed along with a heap of other periodicals he would rather his kids never seen,(why do blokes keep them them anyway? Old times sake? Nostalgia?), anyway it was put out by the Vacuum Oil Company. That ancient, marked with a greasy pencil, cigarette burns, coffee cup circles , the usual. Must have been part of a "Tourist" map originally, part of the remaining cover had a photo taken from the end of the Gundagai bridge where the rail line crossed the highway before spearing off across the flats. When you turned the page over to the map part, showed down as far as the Adelong turnoff. I have fond memories of the old "Tin Hare" railcar doing the trip from Cootamundra to Tumut because it followed the old Hume along from Coolac to Tumblong before branching off. Bought back memories (not showmn on the map) of the old Tumblong Hotel, Mayne Nickless old house which was the Syd-Melb change station ( When did that close??) there was also an old servo there, which had a heap of old cars and a few trucks which had come to grief up in Sylvias probably. Servo was knocked down to make way for the by-pass which for some reason I think was only single lane each way before being duplicated. Whole area was subject to the ocassional flash flood and I don' ever remember seeing the Murrumbidgee in full flood, on the flats where the old road and the rail bridge crossed the river. Bloke told me there was a photo in the old Sth Gundagai Hotel of a huge flood lapping at the railway lines and the drivers weren't allowed to cross, so the pub put the ticket holders up for the time it took to safely cross. Dont know if that parts right, the car bridge was still operable so they should (passengers that is) still have at least been able to get into Gundagai itself. Unless of course the lone railcar was stuck on the north side, maybe there wasn't a spare at Tumut??. But interesting stuff, sort of a trip down memory lane in a way, the travellers pub at Tarcutta where you could get a beer of a Sunday, as long as you ordered a meal and were more than 30 miles from home. Never seen so many blokes who lived just outside that 30 mile radius hunched over a pie and a schooner! Bottled beer only, on Sunday. Must have been a Tooths franchise, sold heaps of KB lager. Go a bit past there you could have one of the best feeds on the Hume, little old cafe at the Ladysmith turn off, sadly like a lot of old memories, they are just that, belong in the past.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fred in Geelong, Lang, PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #211563 by Rattail 1927
Arr the kb , my ex brother in laws , that's from my from my first marriage , lost her tragically, her brothers used to get me or their step dad to but it for them. We called it kids beer ..what happened to them , I've always drank VB or Melbourne BITTER. As well the Sydney siders couldn't drink it , good more me lol
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Rattail 1927. Reason: B

More
3 years 10 months ago #211572 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic Old Hume Highway Tumblong
Not sure about the interstate situation but I used to drink DB in South Australia. It was an acquired taste, with a marginally higher alcohol content despite it being a diet beer.

A mate and I would go to gatherings regularly with our DB, throw them in the fridge/bath with what others had brought with them, then drank theirs until the only stuff left was our "who brought this shit DB?" After which we drank that. :lol: :evil:
The following user(s) said Thank You: overlander, PaulFH

More
3 years 10 months ago #211580 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Old Hume Highway Tumblong
Do you remember that the KB stubbies were in the shape of and called KB Kegs with the big wide mouth and a ring pull tab. When I was earth moving a contract driver had an esky of them in the cab and sipped on them all day plus had a counter lunch to go with them.
The S.A. beer DB was drank by a bloke out near Bathurst and I think that was what he nearly lived on.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
3 years 10 months ago #211585 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic Old Hume Highway Tumblong
My mate and I always referred to it as Diabolical Blend, which was enough to stop other people drinking our beer :evil:

More
3 years 10 months ago #211590 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Old Hume Highway Tumblong
Had almost forgotten those KB hand grenade shaped Kegs. Like those Tooheys Flag "mini bottles", 200 or 250 ml or whatever they were
. Just had to drink twice as many to get a regular glow up. I must have confused "DB" with the NZ brand, Dominion Bitter. I remenber the West End and Southwalk brand, Coopers but must admit the SA , DB breed escapes me.

More
3 years 10 months ago #211595 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Old Hume Highway Tumblong
We used to call those 250ml bottles "throw downs".
I was drinking Tooheys Country Special back then and after that it was Tooheys Old.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rattail 1927

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #211603 by Rattail 1927
Geez cobba you sole my line , my brother in laws were just to young to buy beer and I'd buy for them and that's exactly what they called throw downs lol ,I being very near the border of VICTORIA AND NSW drank Carlton , vb , Melbourne bitter and FOSTERS before it became a boutique beer
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Rattail 1927.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 10 months ago #211606 by Rattail 1927
Its ashamed we live in such a spread out area , we could do our own old Hume trip ( finishing at a human refilling station each night lol)

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #211613 by hayseed
Bit of a topic hijack. But here you go Boys!!
This one is unopened & still full of goodness :sick:

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by hayseed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Rattail 1927

Time to create page: 0.536 seconds