Skip to main content

Non quick release trailers

More
3 years 9 months ago #212260 by Mrsmackpaul
I have a question for people way smarter than me

If I have a truck and trailer, semi type of trailer that can only be separated by undoing lots of bolts etc and using jacks and stands (drums etc) to support the trailer

Was the trailer on separate rego ??
Or did it use the primemover rego?

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
3 years 9 months ago #212267 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Non quick release trailers
Mrs
gudday m8

B 4 1989 the rig would B on primemover reg
Since trailer rego came in it would B on seperat reg for trailer
trailer reg U needed a RWC, Weigh bridge ticket & chassis/vin number plus a few $$
also the lead axle(s) on a dog trailer that has the rest of the trailer connected by a turntable .... Shouldn't th@ B registerd too??

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
3 years 9 months ago #212270 by Mrsmackpaul
So if you had a truck and trailer fixed like described did Vic roads or the RTA or what ever they were called make people change there rego or was it only if rego lapsed ?

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 9 months ago #212272 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Non quick release trailers
JEEZE, MRS!
Your showing your age!
Permanently fixed trailers? Blocks? Drums?
They all went out with button up boots!
Even those Scarab 3 wheel dock tractors had quick release in the 30's!
BUT, good question. Noted Swishy said 1989 seperate rego came in.
Much later than NSW I would think, seems I can recall mid70's you could still register as a unit or as a seperate entity.
Which is not really answering your question.
Those single drive Commers and Leylands run by S&M Fox (later Clutha) were from memory registered as a unit, both number plate front of P/M as well as Rear of trlr the same. Cant vouch for other states , other than getting nabbed at Wallangarra with black and yellow plates on P/M and black and yellow plates on trailer. Trouble was, two different plates.
Sprung outside the Wallangarra waterhole for parking in no parking area, Fined $10!. Got a bit smart and said a few unseemly words, led to the constabulary walking around truck/trailer, spotted discrepancy in rego plates, fined another $15 for unregistered trailer! AND STILL haven't learned to keep my big yap shut!

More
3 years 9 months ago #212280 by wee-allis
Back in the early seventies when SA rego was all the go, Tom Lindsay flew over there and registered a heap of trucks and trailers as single units. Three plates issued, 2 for the truck and one for the trailer. Thing was, when quick hitching, the driver had to remember to change the trailer plate.

One trailer came in with a defect lable stuck on it beside the number plate. No biggie, but the number on the defect didn't match the one on the number plate, which didn't match the one on the rego lablel. All became too confusing and went back to the old system of separate regos.

More
3 years 9 months ago #212281 by Dave_64
Ah, the old "Sandstone Avenue Naracoorte", where the non existent yard was so crammed, the trucks were stacked ten high!

More
3 years 9 months ago #212284 by wee-allis
Dave, if you ever saw the place, it was an office in an arcade with the entire front window covered with "This is the registered office of.............) signs.

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #212287 by Dave_64
.........and got away with it for years! The only requisite was that you had the word "..............Traders" on your title. What was paid up capital again?? $10:00 or something like that? A certain well know Transport entepranuer from South of Sydney used to freely negotiate trips to Naracoorte, throw in a few beers and a feed, overnight stay in a motel , plus return air fare to Adelaide from wherever. Couldn't keep up with it for a while, had to "subbie" out his freight loading agency.
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Dave_64.

More
3 years 9 months ago #212295 by prodrive
Replied by prodrive on topic Non quick release trailers
Hence....

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fred in Geelong, PaulFH, DieselFan

More
3 years 9 months ago #212297 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Non quick release trailers

Mrsmackpaul wrote: So if you had a truck and trailer fixed like described did Vic roads or the RTA or what ever they were called make people change there rego or was it only if rego lapsed ?

Paul

Paul, here in N.S.W. You could register a prime Mover & trailer as a Unit up until the early '90s..
From memory come renewal Time you had to get them Induvidually weighed & inspected where they would issue you with a trailer Plate & 2 rego certificates..

Even Today you see quite a Few Semi Tippers permanently Bolted to the Prime Mover.. Coal & Quarry Tippers come to Mind..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.533 seconds