Skip to main content

Derating an engine

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #212640 by Dave_64
Derating an engine was created by Dave_64
Came across a forum recently based on overseas(U.S.) farming equipment and such.
Bloke there wrote that Caterpillar no longer make an INDIRECT injection engine, probably one of the better known brands that persisted with pre-combustion chamber technology for many years even after a lot of others went to direct injection.
Put up a good argument in saying that what with modern materials available, the fuel itself being used, turbo/supercharging/ variable cam timing, intercooling and whatever else, the basic engine has far outstripped its modest beginnings.
Couple of others joined in citing various makes well known to us here in road transport, GM, Crummins just to name a couple.
I am not sure just when Cummins introduced their 855 cu in NH series engines, but for many years they were one of the mainstays in road tpt. Everyone remembers the beloved NH250, along with the likes of P motor Mack, 6/71 and 8V71, you couldn't kill them with an axe and I'll bet some of these engines are STILL puttering along!
As with all forums, you are going to get differing views (This one here is no exception), a few blokes wrote that the Yanks had a tendency to "overbuild" their engines and it wasn't until the constant chase for ever increasing HP that longevity and reliability began to suffer. Personally I can't form an opinion on that as have been away from the game too long now.
No doubt there would be blokes who could claim they got millions of miles out of their Signature engines, or their trusty DD12's, whatever, without putting a spanner to them.
BUT, what caught my attention was the claim and the follow up discussions of how more than quite a few of these forum writers had DERATED their engines, with no apparent harm and increased an already impressive lifespan. Admittedly a few of these blokes were talking agricultural/farm use i.e. tractors, pumps, sprayers, lighting plants etc, but also a couple of them had "hobby" trucks that they trundled around to State fairs etc.
Counter-argument was that the engine manufactures know how far they can go and if they can double the output of a known size, and maintain some sort of reliability, then these blokes shouldn't be tampering with them.
One bloke cited he had bought a reconditioned Cat 6 cylinder engine way back when, on some sort of sled he dragged around, so guessing was some sort of irrigation pump. Once the initial engine warranty expired he had them (Cat) come out, take the turbo and intercooler off, recalibrate the injector pump and put it back to work but derated. He said he used the engine/pump for 12 hrs a day, every day of the week, for 9 months of the year and other than changing the oil and filter "when it got as black as sin".m Had been doing this for well in excess of twenty years, never had the Cat blokes have to come out.
Plenty of replies to this from blokes operating screening machines, rock crushers, timber jacks, you name it, who agreed that by derating the engine that they "hadn't had to touch an engine in years".
I know it's a different kettle of fish to road transport requirements, as well as use. But can't help thinking about some of those massive old engines (both petrol and diesel) built so many years ago, and although they may well have been gas guzzlers then, may still be ticking over today.
In another forum topic we have heard of twin power straight eight Lycomings in Relays, we know quite well the Rhodes-Ridley, Clippers (and Whites with straight 8 Buick and flat 12's respectively).
These seemed to be either the need for high HP just wasn't able to be filled with what was available OR special applications.
I an just wondering if we have got away from the high cu-in capacity engine (but low HP rated) where we had known lifespan and maybe the manufacturers started at the other end. Build a smaller capacity (or in some cases like the 855) just keep increasing the output with all these you-beaut add on devices. Certainly you couldn't really compare todays engines with those same cubic capacities of the past, If you got 4mpg out of your Cummins or GM you would have been smiling. Todays engines although the same cubic capacity are putting out TWICE as much HP AND giving an increase in MPG. (Also some of this increase would be related to improvements in tyres, drive trains, aerodynamics etc, cant pin it down to one single component).
However this is digressing from the discussion these blokes were promoting. "Is derating an engine a worthwhile proposition"
In their case, taken over a lifetime and taking into consideration the actual use of the engine, probably yes. For a bloke who is engaged in road transport who may be turning his trucks over regularly, and wants the maximum utilisation, probably not.
A lot of people seem to be of the opinion that as far as engines are concerned, if you go to a larger capacity and then cut back on the manufacturers ratings, you get a lot longer life out of it than trying to get the same longevity of a smaller volume engine and try and maintain the same output with all sorts of addons, possibly stressing the engine and thereby decreasing engine life.
I am certainly no engineer, but that part at least makes some sort of sense to me. wonder what you blokes reckon?
Dave_64
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Dave_64.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #212641 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Derating an engine
Think of it this way....

You go out for a run over... Let's say 1 km

There are two options... You can run as fast as your body will allow... And I'd bet wear yourself out in the first few hundred metres

Or you can jog along at a steady pace... And not wear yourself out

If it ain't working hard it's not going to wear out as quick

Just my thoughts... ;)

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
3 years 9 months ago #212651 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Derating an engine
I recall reading on this forum about a fleet owner who specced 12V71's with the smallest injectors you could get. I thought at the time, that that was his idea - long engine life.
How long, for example does a 3 litre Patrol engine last compared to its big 6 predecessor?

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, PaulFH

More
3 years 9 months ago #212653 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Derating an engine
Think I recall the same article, if it is, he set them up with something like N45 squirters and cut the RPM back to 19oo max, if its the one I'm thinking.
Good question re the 4 VS 6 Patrol. Mate of mine bought the 3 litre turbo diesel same time I bought my Prado, towed a 25 foot Jayco van with it. Going up through the forests around the back of Daylesford so maybe not a real good test, but he commented at the time that there would not have been much between them performance wise, the turbo 4 was quite economical, whereas the 4.2 N/A 6 was always a bit thirsty, but he also added that the "6 seemed to be doing it that much easier". Both 5 speed manual transmissions, BTW.
But, thats only one blokes opinion. As far as longevity goes, don't know. He still has the 4 banger but sold his van.

More
3 years 9 months ago #212655 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Derating an engine
I dunno about derating,I apparently dont know two tenths of bugger all about bugger all

So this is what I believe to be the case for me

If I dont run a motor at full power, full load and at full revs, it lasts and lasts and lasts
I also feel the fuel economy is improved

As normal I dont have any scientific proof, just what I feel to be the case

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 9 months ago #212661 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Derating an engine
Mrsmackpaul wrote, "I apparently dont know two tenths of bugger all about bugger all"
Well, for a self taught old farmer who's willing to have a go at just about anything, as they say in the classics,
"Ya ain't doin too bad!"
But you and I differ in one aspect, I don't know three fifths of five eighths of SFA!

More
3 years 9 months ago #212670 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Derating an engine
Well, it is an easy fix. I had a mate in the Army who decided that his MK1 Jaguar was too powerful and using too much fuel. He knew SFA about mechanical things but was an amateur cabinet maker. He made a beautifully tapered and polished block of wood to go under the accelerator to only give half throttle.

Saved him fuel but he could not figure out why the blokes with Morris Minors left him at the lights.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, PaulFH, V8Ian

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
3 years 9 months ago #212673 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Derating an engine
FWIW
in the earl eye days wen Ansett had 12 or a dozen Kenworth 'S' models they were specd with GM 8V-71
derated with smaller shootn irons to produce 265HP max revs 1950 they ran most of the time with out the engines cooln down
BTween driver/trailer swap overs and did about 800,000 to 900,000 miles without a rebuild
normaly recommended for automotive use iz 318HP 2100RPM
we ended up with 3 of these X Ansett 'S' models n opend m back up to 318HP x 2100RPM with jake brake

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
3 years 9 months ago #212674 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Derating an engine
TNT did the same... Ran their 8V71s with N60 injectors at 290 HP

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
3 years 9 months ago #212678 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Derating an engine
McDonalds from S.A. derated their 400 bigcams
Think they ended up been governed at 1950 rpm or may of been 1900 rpm

Dunno

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging