Skip to main content

Trucks on Freeways doing 80kph

More
3 years 8 months ago #212743 by overnite
IMO these things and Frannas should not be allowed on Tollways. Frannas especially are not capable of more than 80kph, and just hold up traffic, because those vehicles held up behind them cause congestion trying to overtake them as they try to merge into the fast lane , and those big ones wander all over the road once they go over 80kph.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago #212762 by allan

overnite wrote: IMO these things and Frannas should not be allowed on Tollways. Frannas especially are not capable of more than 80kph, and just hold up traffic, because those vehicles held up behind them cause congestion trying to overtake them as they try to merge into the fast lane , and those big ones wander all over the road once they go over 80kph.

I may well be wrong, but I thought that oversize cranes are limited by law to 80 kph, possibly due to oscillation between front & rear esp because of counterweights etc. But I'm not an expert by any means.

More
3 years 8 months ago #212769 by overnite
Allan, the oversize aren’t oscillating. The Frannas are. Allowing these mobile chicanes that are limited to 80kph on a 110kph motorway is an accident looking for a location.

More
3 years 8 months ago #212777 by allan

overnite wrote: Allan, the oversize aren’t oscillating. The Frannas are. Allowing these mobile chicanes that are limited to 80kph on a 110kph motorway is an accident looking for a location.

Sorry, my use of the term 'oscillation' was in the vertical plane ie up and down from front to rear. Yep, I guess an unskilled driver in a Franna style coud have trouble with the oscillating steering.

More
3 years 8 months ago #212778 by hayseed

allan wrote:

overnite wrote: Allan, the oversize aren’t oscillating. The Frannas are. Allowing these mobile chicanes that are limited to 80kph on a 110kph motorway is an accident looking for a location.

Sorry, my use of the term 'oscillation' was in the vertical plane ie up and down from front to rear. Yep, I guess an unskilled driver in a Franna style coud have trouble with the oscillating steering.

The word you guys are looking for is Articulated

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: allan

More
3 years 8 months ago #212780 by overnite
Your absolutely correct Hayseed, I should have picked that up myself.

More
3 years 8 months ago #212796 by Mrsmackpaul
So the problem with doing 80 km/h on a freeway is ?

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #212797 by overnite
Freeway is 100 to 110kph, two lanes only, peak hour , traffic banks up behind Franna, traffic can’t wait to merge, so just “merge “ into fast lane, then fast lane down to a crawl, instant traffic jam, or accident. Happens every morning and afternoon on the the M2 and M7. That’s only when you get one, there’s normally 2 or 3 of the rotten things every morning and afternoon. On top of that I pay over $30 for the privilege of using the tollway to drive at 60kph if it’s a good trip.
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by overnite.

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #212799 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Trucks on Freeways doing 80kph
Then there are those bloody trucks which should not be allowed in peak hour traffic. If it is a bit hilly only 5 cars get through a set of traffic lights behind a truck staggering off while the lane beside him puts through 30 cars. Don't get me started on bikes!

I reckon each Franna contributes to the lifeblood of the community much more than any single truck and certainly more than 95% of people in cars cursing them. If you can hold 80 in peak hour traffic on any city main road in Australia you are doing OK in my opinion.

They annoy me too but I figure they are working and contributing while my mission is probably not of national importance.

Lang
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allan, 235mack, Southbound, wee-allis

More
3 years 8 months ago #212806 by prodrive
Fair point Lang.. although as Overnite says it can be a PITA.. I hate being stuck behind a truck too- especially a bloody horse truck, they are always crawling along so they don't upset bloody Neddie I guess.
BUT If I think back to all the times it's been ME in the slow old shitbox causing all sorts of mayem and hold ups... geez. I guess it would be a genuine case of the pot calling the kettle..
I used to be on the Hume in the old Atkinson in the early eighties, sometimes I'd have to load all day Thursday. So I'd do my level best to get going as early as I could, to try to get a good head start on all the overnite boys that were rocketing along. You probably passed me Overnite! (I was overnite too, but it took about 16 bloody hours!!! God it was a long night)
But of course they'd all catch me down the road, I was as slow as a wet week, at 80 klicks flat out- when there wasn't any slight hill or headwind too of course.
The fast boys would be lined up for ages behind me, I'd do my best to call them/blink them past and back in, but bloody hell it was stressful. I actually got pushed out one night, I couldn't get back in to the stream from the overtaking lane.. I used to hate it, and think to myself how silly these blokes were going so fast, and that my truck cost about a tenth of what they cost, but probably made more money...
BUT to them, I must have been a bloody nightmare, and in truth, I was obviously causing a silly and dangerous situation.
So I guess we all have to take a deep breath and not throw stones eh?
Well, I do anyway...

Bloody horse trucks...in the bloody way... bloody Frannas....holdin me up.....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bobsboy, Mrsmackpaul

Time to create page: 0.550 seconds