Skip to main content

Trucks on Freeways doing 80kph

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
3 years 8 months ago #212807 by Swishy
FWIW
them big lots of axles Euro cranes can travel upto 12 ton per axle (Above pic 8 axles x 12t = 96ton) with counterweights & outrigger mats on nuther truck)
Mergin in traffic U dun wait for a brake in bumper to bumper traffic az it nevr gunna happen
put indicator on with pleanty of notice then stik u're arm out the windo to sho U mean business
n those behind U ...... left home a minute earlier .... they would B in front of U
People do not allow nuff time to get from A to B
LOL
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: Southbound

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago #212809 by hayseed

prodrive wrote: BUT If I think back to all the times it's been ME in the slow old shitbox causing all sorts of mayem and hold ups... geez. I guess it would be a genuine case of the pot calling the kettle....

^^ I can relate to this Too Richard..

Overnite, I reckon the Biggest Problems on the M2/7 (Or any Freeway Toll for that matter) is the Variable Speed limits & the extremely Narrow Gutted Breakdown lanes,& that they cause far more accidents than Old Mate in a Crane going to & from a worksite.. (IN My Opinion)

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
3 years 8 months ago #212810 by overnite

prodrive wrote: Fair point Lang.. although as Overnite says it can be a PITA.. I hate being stuck behind a truck too- especially a bloody horse truck, they are always crawling along so they don't upset bloody Neddie I guess.
BUT If I think back to all the times it's been ME in the slow old shitbox causing all sorts of mayem and hold ups... geez. I guess it would be a genuine case of the pot calling the kettle..
I used to be on the Hume in the old Atkinson in the early eighties, sometimes I'd have to load all day Thursday. So I'd do my level best to get going as early as I could, to try to get a good head start on all the overnite boys that were rocketing along. You probably passed me Overnite! (I was overnite too, but it took about 16 bloody hours!!! God it was a long night)
But of course they'd all catch me down the road, I was as slow as a wet week, at 80 klicks flat out- when there wasn't any slight hill or headwind too of course.
The fast boys would be lined up for ages behind me, I'd do my best to call them/blink them past and back in, but bloody hell it was stressful. I actually got pushed out one night, I couldn't get back in to the stream from the overtaking lane.. I used to hate it, and think to myself how silly these blokes were going so fast, and that my truck cost about a tenth of what they cost, but probably made more money...
BUT to them, I must have been a bloody nightmare, and in truth, I was obviously causing a silly and dangerous situation.
So I guess we all have to take a deep breath and not throw stones eh?
Well, I do anyway...

Bloody horse trucks...in the bloody way... bloody Frannas....holdin me up.....

Yes Prodrive , but that was in the 70s, and that’s how it was, but now 50 years later, when you’re paying $30 plus to drive on a tollway, I’d like to be able to do at least 90, not 60 behind a Franna, that sometimes even sit in the fast lane. If the NSW government had the foresight to build our Tollways with 3 lanes instead of 2 it would be a better situation.

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #212813 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Trucks on Freeways doing 80kph
Overnite

Frannas in the fast lane is a driver problem not a vehicle one. I think they are outnumbered by the fast lane dawdlers such as those little white trucks, tippers with dogs, old ladies and ethnic chappies and of course morons of all descriptions on their phone. I must say I have not seen the fast lane attracting cranes in my area.

If you take the Frannas off the tollways (they pay too) and force them onto the secondary roads it will create more problems because you will now need more of the buggers due to the longer travel time.

If you think of what might be a typical day for them I reckon they are heroes of industry worth giving a break.
0630 Arrive at building site to lift 2 beams for a builder.
0800 Arrive at yard to lift a container onto a truck.
0900 Call out by police to pick up a caravan on its side blocking the freeway.
1100 Arrive at site to lift pipes into trench for the council
1500 Arrive at marina to lift boat and cradle onto a drop deck trailer.
1600 Enter freeway, move into right lane, slow to 60 kmh, try to break record for the longest tailback, being beaten by the 18 year old bimbo "P" plater ahead of you, before turning off to return to crane yard. (I have never seen this but no doubt there is the odd Franna driver wanting for manners as there are many others in all types of vehicles).

Lang
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Lang.

More
3 years 8 months ago #212814 by Mrsmackpaul
Well reading this thread proves once and for all you cant please everyone

I foolishly believed Australia is full of friendly easy going jokers

It appears I was wrong

I remember a Commonwealth Bank add of days gone by with a farmer in a paddock standing beside a gate valve handle stick out of the dirt
A cloud was raining on his paddock, when it was wet enough he turned the tap and shifted the cloud to another part of the paddock

What a great idea, I meantioned it to another farmer one day

His response left me thinking "Can you imagine the fights we would have"

Point been, bloke in the Franna is probably going crook about all these clowns zooming past :silly: :silly: same as the bloke in the caravan
And just as much as the jokers in the right hand lane who should of left earlier

Whether we drive trucks or deliver pizzas your always in a hurray for a customer

If we cant handle the heat we need to step away from the fire
Google tells me the world spins at roughly 1000 MPH so we aint gunna catch it, so sit back, relax, the freight will get thru when it gets thru
Everything else is the boss mans problem

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, Aussie Truckin

More
3 years 8 months ago #212816 by rex
Replied by rex on topic Trucks on Freeways doing 80kph
Gentlemen
This time without reservation may I say SPOT ON Swishy.
rex

Making a small effort to save the history of road transport in Australia by being in front of Simms

More
3 years 8 months ago #212817 by jeffo
Might be a Queensland thing but I’ve been impressed by the speed of modern mobile cranes.
I notice they’re not called Franna now, have some other moniker but they will do well over 80.
I’ve clocked them at 100 on the flat which is a pretty good speed for such a machine.
Just thank God it’s not an Austin Western.

More
3 years 8 months ago #212819 by Zuffen
I travel Pennant Hills Road almost daily and the thing that gets me going is having 3 trucks (one in each lane) having a drag race at the traffic lights. Slowest man wins.

If all slow vehicles kept to the left 2 lanes, like on the M1 in Sydney, things would be better.

The average motorist just says "bloody truck drivers"and tar everyone with the same brush.

The new tunnel can't open soon enough for me as I can't access it from where I live so there will be 5,000 less trucks to contend with on Penno Road.

More
3 years 8 months ago #212827 by asw120
Hey Paul, your attitude reminds me of the Filipino way of thinking. The traffic there (at least in Manila) is worse than anything we have. Their attitude is that everything takes as long as it takes, we'll get there when we get there.
There is this Filipino time thing - no time set by the clock, just "I'll be there in the morning"
As to leaving earlier - it's how I work. I used to get to work 45 minutes early and have breakfast there; just to beat the traffic.
Now working closer to home

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
3 years 8 months ago #212839 by V8Ian
I remember the days when only speed demons travelled at the heady speed of 80kph. Oh how I dreamt of being able to do so. :evil:

Time to create page: 0.554 seconds