Skip to main content

Trucks on Freeways doing 80kph

More
3 years 9 months ago #212852 by prodrive
It's funny how things change...
Who remembers driving trucks not all that long ago, when you used to pull to the side on hills to let cars go past.. Used to do it all the time.
I took my 1418 for a little trip with a load on it a while ago, and it took me straight to that era back cos it was so bloody slow!!!
Every hill.... is a BIG hill......
BIt off topic, but talking of slow, back in the 80's we sold a a Cranvel Crane to Tommy Mellors at Lawnton smash repairs in Brisbane, so as this old Perkins powered (powered???) Inter had rego plates on her ( !!) we loaded the crane up on her back...And my brother got the job of steering her up from Geelong and back. He was going to then load a bogie drive Transtar on the Inter and bring her back from Brisbane
I was heading to Brisbane too in my Atkinson- going out of Melbourne I passed him going up the hill at Craigieburn-woo hoo!!! It was I think the only vehicle I ever managed to pass I reckon.
He got the crane to Brisbane, loaded up the Transtar and headed south, he was wobbling along through the Pilliga scrub, the local cop pulled him over to ask why he was goimg so slow... Andrew just said "ah yeah, nah, dunnno, she's ah flat out mate." So the bloke asked for his log book, to which he replied "log book? Huh? Whats that?"
The copper thought he was being smart, so he got his first log book ticket too...

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #212862 by JOHN.K.
Used to drive the BHB cranes all over Brisbane ,Hemmant to BP and back ,over the gateway bridge .....one time the toll guy said we should be using a float ,but no way Col was paying for a float as long as the cranes had rego plates.....28 mph,flat out,and when you got going that fast ,sand would blow in your eyes off the bonnet.....Up the Gate way was 5 mph ....over the top ,and lucky they had pretty effective disc front brakes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ianoz, PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.460 seconds