Skip to main content

God give me strength!

More
3 years 7 months ago #213455 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic God give me strength!
I typed all this several days ago but as usual, just as I was about to hit "submit" it all disappeared, so here it goes again-

It does'nt always help to go there in person.

Many years ago, for some reason, I had a small Datsun/Nissan truck and needed a part. I went to the nearest dealer and asked for it. They wanted the engine number, so I read it off the paper I had written it on H 12345. No they said, that can't be right. It must be H20 12345. I told them it was definately not H20, it was too old for that. I took whatever part they offerred and it was the right one.

A few months ago I took a part from one of my Morrises to my nearest branch of Autobarn on a Sunday. The only person behind the parts counter looked it up on the computer and said, sorry, I cannot get price or even availabilty until a weekday.

Next day, I took it back again and Matt used the same program on the same computer, told me the price and said "I can get it here tomorrow morning, I will phone you as soon as it arrives."
I hold him and the young lady behind the counter about my visit yesterday. They asked who served me and I told them it was a young bloke with red hair. They both looked at each other and the unspoken message was something like "Typical" I have never seen the redhead there again. I have been back several times and Matt has always been most helpful. last week, Autobarn changed it's name to Autopro.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #213458 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic God give me strength!
Yeah, can dig it!
Lost count of the times been in same situation.
Mobs like Repco (when they were a genuine replacement part shop) WERE great.
If your like me and have trouble explaining exactly what you are chasing, becomes extremely frustrating.
Used to throw whatever part was required in the back of the ute (or on the back floor of Mum's car) trundle it in and the counter bloke would come out and have a look,, "Yep, you need an 871-36JE", Struth, haven't seen one of them in years! Gimmee a minute!" Comes back twenty minutes later, "Aint got one, but you know old Thommo down on the corner....? The old feed and produce place? Used to be the dealer for them! Tell him I sent you down!"
AND, quite often you'd get what you were chasing.
Can you imagine one of these modern day "spare parts experts" even bothering to suggest where to go to? Let alone make a phone call on your behalf? IF its NOT in the computer, it aint available!
Walked into a well known , actually two shops in the same large rural town, looking for something for my Karrier project, went like this
"Looking for a ......... for a 58-64 Karrier Bantam"
"Vin number?"
"Too early, hasn't got one."
"Engine/chassis number?"
"Had a transplant and no chassis number"
"Not gonna be able to help, not on the system, contact the manufacturer."
"Went out of business over 40 years ago."
"Uh! Whats a Karrier? Like the mob who make air conditioners?"
"No! Rootes Group!"
"Never heard of them!"
"Used to be...................AH! Why bother??"

You get the drift, you feel like banging either his head or your own on the counter in frustration.
Speciality forum groups sometimes aren't much better. A lot of them are run by very well meaning people who are volunteers and do it for the sheer love of preserving their adopted genre and I certainly don't knock them for that.
Maybe it's simply that as a lot of us are getting a bit older we no longer have the tolerance we once had!
Dave
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Dave_64.

More
3 years 7 months ago #213460 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic God give me strength!
A VIN is different to a VIN number.

A VIN is a Vehicle Identification number and is 17 digits long.

"VIN number" is a Vehicle Identification number number which doesn't exist.

As a motor Insurer I taught all our staff to say VIN not VIN number.
The following user(s) said Thank You: asw120

More
3 years 7 months ago #213461 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic God give me strength!

Zuffen wrote: A VIN is different to a VIN number.

A VIN is a Vehicle Identification number and is 17 digits long.

"VIN number" is a Vehicle Identification number number which doesn't exist.

As a motor Insurer I taught all our staff to say VIN not VIN number.

Zuffen, just like the people who are just going to the atm machine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: asw120, Zuffen

More
3 years 7 months ago #213477 by Tired Iron
Replied by Tired Iron on topic God give me strength!
Nearly missed this.
Busy looking for my TFN number
Sorry mods-,off, as well as off topic

More
3 years 7 months ago #213492 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic God give me strength!
VIN and VIN number is the same as an ATM or ATM machine.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
3 years 7 months ago #213497 by Morris
I hope Dennis Brooks,long time member of the HCVCA does not mind me retelling a story he told at a meeting some years ago.

Dennis worked for many years at Ford Heavy Trucks and among other vehicles, had an immaculate FORD Transit van. One time he went to the parts counter and asked for a part for a V4 Transit. The young gut behind the counter asked "What is a V4?"

Dennis sold the van soon after.

I'm gritting my teeth,

The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 7 months ago #213498 by Morris
Cobbsdog, when did you add the last line to your signature thingy? Of course, I do not what it means but if you are still doing that, you are very lucky.:ohmy:

I'm gritting my teeth,

The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 7 months ago #213503 by Mairjimmy
Replied by Mairjimmy on topic God give me strength!
I used Donaldson Motors in Dandenong for parts and order over the phone they were so good that one day I rang and explaining the part he was trying to tell me part was different to what I had in my head so out the truck for a look and back to the phone, sorry mate for doubting you but you are correct. One day I wanted a little ball joint for a throttle linkage so I was in Shepparton and asked and the young bloke started looking at the fish cards { the card that have the part s and part numbers on ] and not looking to happy about something next thing fan belts went flying and the cards went flying as well and left, 3 other older one sanding behind laughing must have been setting him up as I think he wanted to get away early, I looked at the 3 smart arsss and turn around and left went home and rang Donaldson Motors, Benz truck I had below for something to look at

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.511 seconds