Skip to main content

Turbo project

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #213462 by Rattail 1927
Turbo project was created by Rattail 1927
I got the little 610a 4x4 Acco is mechanically good chassis wise and I’ve got a little bit for a project

Project turbo , I bought a Chinese GT 35 turbo which by all accounts suits 3L to 6L engines , hoping it will liberate 1.21 Jigawatts of power and hopefully reach 88 mph and when I get back I’ll be back to the future , I’ve been buying bits and pieces of exhaust pipes for a few months now , still need some 3” pipe for the dump pipe for the exhaust, I need to move the header tank and air cleaner to start .
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Rattail 1927.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago #213463 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Turbo project
Should be interesting.

I'll be following along.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #213464 by Rattail 1927
Replied by Rattail 1927 on topic Turbo project
Hardest part is routing the exhaust up though the chassis, popular statement is to flip the exhaust manifold but apparently the ports don’t match up

More
3 years 8 months ago #213474 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Turbo project
So with out sounding to dum, are you turbo ing the big bad 345 in the 610A ?

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #213476 by Rattail 1927
Yes I am Paul, the big bad 345 has a forged crank , low compression , conrods and pistons are forged , it meets every parameter for turbocharging , my engine isn’t big and bad either ...............it’s at the bottom of the totem pole of the international stable but that makes it all the more better .
If detonation occurs I have a “good runner “ in the shed if it happens lol.
I know the drive train probably isn’t up to it but I don’t plan to trash it
It might last ten minutes or it might not work but I’ve got to find out for myself .
I bought a turbo with 6psi boost waste gate and not seeking any approval but my own and better power hopefully equals better fuel economy.

More
3 years 8 months ago #213478 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Turbo project
Sounds interesting, there's lots of hot rodding of these that have been tried over the years
You can get 4 barrel aluminium manifolds from the US and I seem to recall reading a 392 crank is lighter than a 345
There are some issues you just cant over come

However it should be fun

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 8 months ago #213481 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Turbo project
I'm curious; do you just blow it down the carby, or do you have to put the carby in a sealed plenum to stop fuel blowing out everywhere?
Factory supercharged Studebakers all had the carby in a plenum. Maybe superchergers make more pressure than a turbo?
Eager to see how this goes.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
3 years 8 months ago #213482 by 180wannabe
Replied by 180wannabe on topic Turbo project
I'm sad to hear the T Line has gone.

More
3 years 8 months ago #213484 by jon_d
Replied by jon_d on topic Turbo project
I've got a half Japanese, half Chinese turbo on the Isuzu in the bus. I had to rebuild the IHI and couldn't OEM parts. Has been faultless. 15,000 ks on it now.

Will be interested in this one too. Just check how well the exhaust housing ports aligns. I had to take the grinder to mine and open it up considerably to match the manifold.

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #213490 by Rattail 1927
It’s a blow through jarrod it is a suck though at the moment as it has a remote air cleaner making a blow through set up ( air cleaner bonnet) is already there , have a spare 2bbl Holley which I have to fiddle with the fuel metering block , drill out 2 metering tubes and put jet extensions on the bottom of the tubes , I have to replace the float from hollow to solid as they can collapse under pressure and then take the choke assembly out and cut the air horn off until it is level with the top of the Venturi’s ,to start I need to move the air cleaner housing and coolant header tank to the left hand side as they will be in the way and the exhaust dumps to the left and will routed either via a new sports muffler which I have to use as a stack or out the lower left hand side below the chassis .

Jon when you said the manifolds didn’t match are talking straight back on or flipped ? .
The following user(s) said Thank You: asw120

Time to create page: 0.487 seconds