Skip to main content

Good job intertupted by customers.

More
3 years 8 months ago #213745 by Morris
This topic is prompted by the number of posts recently that describe very poor knowledge or attitude by sales people.
The title is a shortened version of the saying, probably, made up, that goes:-
"This would be a good job if damned customers did not keep phoning or coming in and wanting things"

Moderator and others who are computer literate may wish to move suitable post here from other threads?

Many years ago, I used to buy tools and parts from W L Ryan, a huge store near the top of Elizabeth Street in Melbourne. The shop was so old-fashioned, it had 1930's style overhead wires where a salesman put the order and customer's money in a little cup and pulled a handle to use spring force to sent it to the cashier who would give change and a receipt and send the cup back.
Samples of all the stock were displayed on the counter under sheets of glass with a handhold for the salesperson to reach in to get the item the customer wanted. The last time I went there, I saw the item I thought was probably what I wanted. There were no staff around, so after waiting a while, I lifted the glass to inspect the item. A salesman then pounced on me and abused me for touching the glass. I said "I am sorry I hurt your glass, Mister" and walked out.

Another time, at lunchtime I went to a large hardware store that did not last very long, in South Melbourne. It had big tubs of "Specials" for customers to select from. I picked up what I wanted and looked around for a staff member. The only one I could see was a young lady behind a glass partition. I realised she was not supposed to leave the telephones so I waited for ages to be served. To fill in time, I wandered around the store in case I found something else I could use. Eventually, a middle aged man came up behind the counter but did not approach me. The lady pointed me out to him He said "He is near the Trade Counter, I do not serve there"
The woman explained I had been at the correct counter but had walked around looking at things. He refused to serve me, so I threw the thing I had been carrying in the nearest bin and walked out. They closed down soon after.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago #213746 by JOHN.K.
Actually ,things have gone a full circle......In the old days ,the big places like Blackwoods and Mc Phersons had a big force of travelling salesmen,who would visit the businesses on their lists every week ,and get up an order.....done by the salesman ,correct part numbers etc......this would go to the warehouse ,be picked ,priced ,and delivered by the company van fleet in a few days...........However ,if you were a small fish and went to the trade counter for a cash sale ,you could expect very different treatment......generally wait all afternoon for the item to be picked and delivered to the counter,then pay a huge markup over a trade customer.........These businesses were easy prey for the new breed of retail only stores who sold cut price stuff.,and most folded in the 70s.....or eventually got with it ....as Blackwoods seem to have ....still very high prices tho.

More
3 years 8 months ago #213752 by jeffo
Has anyone else noticed Blackwoods and many others have gone to account or credit card customers only.
Walk in there with folding stuff and they won’t serve you. Have no facilities for cash.
Big signs went up, way before COVID mind you, saying they no longer accepted cash for sales.
COVID came in just at the right time for these companies with staff who not only don’t know their products, but can’t work out change when cash is tendered.

More
3 years 8 months ago #213753 by JOHN.K.
Blackwoods......last contact I had with them (outside of work) was I found a pair of Knipex cutters dropped in my Willawong yard where some thieves had hit the islami s next door.....Anyhoo ,I priced the Knipex cutters ....$92....and ever since Ive had advertizing stuff turn up on the computer from Blackies.....Like Id ever buy Knipex stuff.......Like Stahlwillie tools .....$600+ for a small set of combi wrenches......someone must buy em ,I suppose.

More
3 years 8 months ago #213754 by hayseed
Blackwoods are real enigma,& I've never understood their Business Model.
They're owned (& have been for many Years) by Wesfarmers who are involved with some of the most recognizable Brands in the Country. Bunnings,Officeworks & until recently Coles..

I can't understand Why; they've never given Blackwoods the Bunnings or Officeworks treatment............

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
3 years 8 months ago #213757 by JOHN.K.
I think Blackies do well from trade customers.......most trade buyers dont even consider price .......I certainly didnt with other peoples money,more a matter of getting a product that was OK for purpose........They have everything ,or can source it in a day or so,which means a machine back in action in hours instead of days or weeks.......the sandblasters were charging $300 an hour per process,and the money soon mounts up...........They used to get stuff rubber lined ,cost many thousands,and a small difference in the rubber quality would be a difference of 3 months in a whole collection system having to come down........I recall Blackies brought out a big heap of Belzona,which aint cheap......the stuff lasted about one day ....complete failure......dunno who paid for it.

More
3 years 8 months ago #213782 by Morris
Another time, I went to the you-beaut big Repco store they built behind their warehouse in North Road, Clayton.
I was served OK but the only other customer was a New Australian bloke whose English was good but not perfect. He asked for a "soldiering iron." Blind Freddie could have seen that he meant "soldering." In the end, he pleaded "Please will you sell me a soldiering iron?" The salesperson pretended he could not understand. I have always regretted that I was not bold enough to step in and help.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
3 years 8 months ago #213786 by Mrsmackpaul
I know how you feel Morris, my biggest regrets in life are from not stepping when I should have

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 8 months ago #213788 by Lang
My biggest regrets are stepping in when I shouldn't have!

Lang

More
3 years 8 months ago #213789 by JOHN.K.
My most recent was I took a list of sintered bearings I wanted to the Mini Bearings crowd ,used to be local .....the kid tries all the numbers thru the computer,all inch dimensions have been converted to metric at around ten places of decimals.......Anyway ,I converted my list to match their computer ,and give the kid at the counter the list .....first he wants to know why I didnt order them online .....that explained ,he gets the list and takes it away ......next hes throwing stuff about ,bangs something down on his desk .....so the manager comes out ...whats going on......kid yells "all these numbers are doing my head in"....anyway ,manager goes out the back with the kid ,and comes back with a big box of sintered bearings.......he says the kid has mixed them all up ...do I want the lot for $25.......yep .I grabbed them .About 1/10th of Bearing Service price.

Time to create page: 0.484 seconds