Skip to main content

2 stroke GM Detroit diesel .......... History

More
3 years 7 months ago #214253 by Brocky45
At the ATHS 2012 National Show in Springfield Mass someone had a Detroit 1-71 genset on a trailer.. Do not know if it made the Showtime magazine or not??

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #214257 by JOHN.K.
Clae Engines in Brisbane had 1/71 in the sales area of their Eagle Farm premises for many years.....I heard Pennske bought them out ,and took the engine back to the US for his collection.....(Clae s were GM diesel agents in Brisbane for as long as I can remember .....I recall going to Claes as a child to look at engines with the man who was next door to my grandmothers.....he was rich builder and developer ,and had a new trawler being built.....However ,the boat ended up with a Caterpillar engine.

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #214283 by BillyP
Meanwhile back at the 671 camshaft delemma ................
So it appears that relative to crank rotation , the cam can rotate the same or opposite directions,
(depending on head fitment , exhaust on one side or the other).
So using a left or right rotation cam depends on actual cam position & rotation, nothing to do with crank rotation.
.................(Or does it .)..................
Could that mean you may have a left and right cam for a R/H engine rotation ...and ..
...a left and right cam for a L/H rotating engine......
But remember that the correct blower drive direction comes into the equasion as well.
How does that sound, right or wrong,...........
...................Billy....................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by BillyP.

More
3 years 7 months ago #214286 by Mrsmackpaul
I feel the cam is the same for either rotation
It just has the drive gear on the opposite end

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 7 months ago #214288 by jeffo
Billy I haven’t seen a GM cam but as the whole engine design concept had so many options, perhaps the cam grind is symmetrical? Wouldn’t matter which way it rotated?

• BillyP
More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #214289 by BillyP
.Good answers but......
The cam grind on ramp (as i recall ) is slightly diffrent to the off ramp.....
no doubt it would still run but longevity comes into the question ,HOWEVER what about
the firing order if a cam runs in the wrong direction .!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Also pretty sure the cam gear will only fit on the one end of the shaft BIDSTBC
....................Billy.....................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #214290 by JOHN.K.
I think the important part would be fuel injection .......I dont remeber for sure,but I think there are LH and RH rotation cams ........I had tons of this inline GM stuff ,and after an episode of assembling a starter and having it refuse to work ,due possibly to mixup of 12 and 24V ,or LH and RH stuff,I just tossed all the old GM stuff into the scrap .......gone and forgotten.........Ever noticed how all this valuable stuff is never missed when its gone?
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by JOHN.K..

More
3 years 7 months ago #214291 by JOHN.K.
Anyhoo....on the subject of GMs.......Ive asked elsewhere ......can 6V71 heads be fitted onto a 6V92 block?.....I know the bolt holes are a little bigger ,thats easily fixed,but can I get a going motor using a 6v92 bottom end ,and a complete 6v71 for parts?......asked on f/book and got one answer (NO) and lots of abuse.....did ya know a GM is a holy relic?....and not just a ton of scrap iron?

More
3 years 7 months ago #214293 by Mrsmackpaul
Apparently John you are correct according to Faceless book they are never to be tossed and better than the best sliced bread deal you could ever dream of

I keep on shaking my head when I hear all the unrealistic s9 called experts on Faceless book and rarely post anything but I do enjoy the entertainment of reading it

So many experts and all will fight to the death from behind their keyboard to prove they are right

Dunno if cam angles are critical in the grind for the injectors as it would need to be short and sharp as I think the opposite to valves which I think would need to be a long gentle stroke

Dont know much about this stuff, I do think though that same cam would be used regardless of which side its on as the ordrer is the same in what happens if it keeps on spinning the same way

But I have no idea

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

• BillyP
More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #214295 by BillyP
Can 71 heads fit on a 92...........i think you could safely say no.......

.Problem there Paul is,the blower drive runs off the cam ( or balance shaft) as the case may be.......
so its rotation has to be taken into account when selecting the cam .................
...................Billy....................

Time to create page: 0.694 seconds