Skip to main content

Single axle semi trailer, flat deck or extendable

More
2 years 3 months ago #230260 by hayseed
Brad, 17Digit VIN's become mandatory in the mid/late 80's.. Hence the auction house saying Circa 1985.
I agree with your theory on the imperial Steel, so At a guess some time prior to 1976.
As for make? It could be anything..

Given the paint Colour I reckon it originally belonged to the Sydney County Council... BISTBC

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, Brad

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 months ago #230270 by Brocky45

Man you lined up that picture just right!!!!! At the first look I thought it had a half a Bull Rack (cattle crate) on the back!!

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
2 years 3 months ago #230272 by Swishy
Brad
gudday m8
bung up a pic or 3 of the extendable sliding lock pins etc
we may B able to date the beast or the maker
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
2 years 3 months ago #230274 by Mrsmackpaul
Did the auction group list it as a certain make ?
Rego departments dont seam to be to fussed with old trailers, theres many chassis numbers are the same or nothing at all
If you cant find a chassis number just stamp one in, the rego deoartment wont question it and put what ever make you like down
Get a weigh bridge ticket and act dumb

Thats all I do and it works for me

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brad

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #230278 by mammoth
Doubt it would be Freighter as before they were bought by Maxitrans the American designed "trailmobile' was pretty standard and used main chassis beams that were a thin profiled web with heavy section steel welded top and bottom. Having said that in the 60's they were doing all sorts of strange things. Rubery Owen was a pommy firm sometimes supplying to Freighter/McGrath in the 50's/60's. IDSTBC on any of that.
If you are planning on welding on cross beams the original way of doing it was to profile cut the longitudinal beam web and slide the full width cross beam through and just weld in two spots where the cross beam passes through the web, not the whole way round. The idea is avoid weld induced stresses which end up as cracks.
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by mammoth.

More
2 years 3 months ago #230283 by PaulFH
Brad, the Universal Beam sections of the chassis were only
"soft converted" at the measures change mid 1970's.
Eg 12" x 7" UB became 310 UB and so on. Same rolls.
Are there any markings, welded ID or plates, usually to
the front left side?
Good luck with the project. Paul.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brad

More
2 years 3 months ago #230291 by Brad
hayseed

Given the paint Colour I reckon it originally belonged to the Sydney County Council... BISTBC

Spot on I'd say. Repainted a few times in probably the same colour, top coat a bit faded.

Thanks for this, it gave me some clues to research. I thought it odd that "Energy Australia" being an electricity generator and retailer would have this kind of trailer. As it happens:

Sydney County Council 1935 to 1991 (oddly named as they were formed to produce electricity and operate the network (distribution). This was abolissh and NSW Gov formed:
Sydney Electricity 1991 - 1996 , there were various megers with other entities and in 1996 renamed:
Energy Australia 1996 - 2011 (?)
2010 Energy Australia sold the retail business and naming rights to TRU Energy
2011 former Energy Australia business renamed to Ausgrid (i.e. includes distribution and other assets remaining after sale of EA retail)
2012 TRU Energy renamed to Energy Australia

click Sydney County Council (wiki)

More
2 years 3 months ago #230293 by Brad
Brocky

Man you lined up that picture just right!!!!! At the first look I thought it had a half a Bull Rack (cattle crate) on the back!!

Pure fluke, I didn't realise until I got home and unfortunately it makes it harder to see the trailer.
One of my kids said I should have bought the "bull" trailer. One of the others helpfully countered with "But we would have to get a bull"

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #230294 by Brad
Under the EA logo on the LHS you can see what looks like the Sydney Electricity Logo:

If you don't see it, try:
[url=http://www.ipaustralia.com.au/applicant/sydney-electricity/trademarks/605744/ class=""]Sydney Electricity Logo[/url]
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Brad. Reason: added text : "looks like the Sydney Electricity Logo"

More
2 years 3 months ago #230295 by Brad
I could not find any locks for the sliding chassis, part of the frame holding the toolbox was cut off, maybe it was attached to that. In the other photos you can see a box arrangement welded to the side of the chassis just forward of the wheels but that would be to far back to allow full chassis extension.
Here's one photo, I'll add more once I find the easy way to add photos.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.606 seconds