Skip to main content

R U OK?

More
3 years 7 months ago #214574 by Urchy87
R U OK? was created by Urchy87
Hey all. Not trying to preach or anything but today is/was R U OK Day. A day to reflect on your and those around you who may be struggling with mental health.

Has hit pretty hard with my local vehicle enthusiast club as a well loved member recently took his life, his funeral is being held tomorrow.

Don’t be too tough to speak up, life can all of a sudden be too short. Talk to those around you or whoever you may feel comfortable with and get the stuff off your chest. If you feel someone is having a rough trot give them a nudge and say g’day, start a chat and see where it takes them.

Take care, Urchy87

Adventure before Dementia.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge, IHScout, BillyP, cobbadog, Morris, Lang, Mairjimmy, PaulFH, husky, Southbound and 2 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #214578 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic R U OK?
I'm currently the shoulder to lean on for a friend who recently lost his wife.

He's in a very dark place and is getting professional help but it's nice to be able to sit down and listen to him without judging.

The best part is he raised the issue and isn't too proud to admit he has a problem. That's a chunk of the journey.

Hopefully he will come out the other side.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, Southbound

More
3 years 7 months ago #214590 by Urchy87
Replied by Urchy87 on topic R U OK?
ZUFFIN, great to hear. Just don’t take any of their regressions (if any) personal. You can only do what you can do. I hope it all works out for the best.

Adventure before Dementia.

More
3 years 7 months ago #214594 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic R U OK?
Visit your local Men's Shed - you'll end up with so much to do you won't have time to become depressed . . .

. . . hmm, I'm feeling a bit depressed because I don't seem to get as much done with my projects as I would like??? :pinch:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 7 months ago #214596 by Zuffen
Funny, comment as I was thinking about seeing if my mate and I can go to the Men's Shed.

Whilst it doesn't exactly suit my interests I think it's a great way to meet people and expand your social circle.

They do fill a big hole in Men's ability to social network as we aren't too good at making friends.

I'm looking at a house move and a local Men's Shed would be nice to visit.

More
3 years 7 months ago #214601 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic R U OK?
I find it interesting that depression does not exist in 3rd world countries

I have asked a lot of people that have immigrated to Australia from extreme poverty or war torn countries amd they all pretty much say the same thing
It just doesn't exist, they just cant understand why anyone would suffer from these problems in a place like Australia

I dont have any answers to this, as no doubt no one here does either

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #214611 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic R U OK?
How far from Crystal Brook (South Australia) are you Zuffen? :huh:
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by PDU.

More
3 years 7 months ago #214619 by Zuffen
About 15 hours drive in a fast car.

I could be there by tomorrow, if I could get across the border.

I live in Sydney but I know there are local Men's Sheds.

More
3 years 7 months ago #214621 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic R U OK?
If as Men's Shed is not available or not quite right for you, consider volunteering at an Op Shop. (Charity shop if they are not called Opportunity shops around your area)
Seriously think about it. Most op shops just pile all the hardware and handyman donations in one box and call it "Men's Stuff" and ignore it. they are also usually in need of someone who can put things together or do minor repairs. My Daughter volunteered there one half-day a week. The old ladies said "Miranda is wonderful, she can make anything electrical work" Miranda told us that all she had to do with most electrical things, table lamps, radios, etc., was plug them in and switch them on. If you can do electrical testing, that will allow the shop to sell many items they would not otherwise be allowed to.
The shops usually also need somebody to sort out and take away cardboard and other unsaleable stuff.

Ever since I retired, I have planned to volunteer at one but it will have to wait until I have time!

Another thing to consider is that most of the other volunteers there will be women in your age bracket.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #214626 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic R U OK?
Another thing to consider is that most of the other volunteers there will be women in your age bracket. And this is a plus??????

But on this serious subject I think "blokes talking to blokes" is a far more effective way to try to get on top of this problem. Mens Sheds or clubs such as bowls or volunteering at a "blokes" type heritage, machinery, car, aircraft museum and actually doing something in company with other men has proven a life saver.

Quite frankly when I visit my wife's volunteering place at the local council Nature centre and hear 5 women all talking at the same time it makes me want to top myself after 10 minutes.

Lang
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, wee-allis, oliver1950

Time to create page: 0.540 seconds