Skip to main content

What's new and red hot.

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #214746 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic What's new and red hot.

77louie400 wrote: I am at the moment having a tidy up in the roof console, in the louie, a nice full width number with a 40 channel CB, a 80 channel UHF, CD player with 6 speakers, with a port to plug in a ipod with a full 6 days of my type of music and a clock with a alarm and I had a bit of a flash back to the first louie that drove interstate in the early 80's that had a console about 8 inches square with a push button ford radio and one speaker.
It got me thinking, when the louie runs the same brake drums, the same brake valves, pretty much the same motor less all the unreliable electrics and pretty much the same gear box, the rear suspension is pretty basic but you don't need cross lock to drive across your front lawn like you do with air bags, which always seem to have one wheel in the air, it will rock into the out skirts of Brisbane 1400ks away on 740 liters of fuel, where I ask is this great leap forward in the big flash trucks, and it's not in the ride, I am not that long out of a run in late model KW and Western stars and the louie with air bags under the cab is up there with them as far as ride goes, helped some what by a long wheel base. Am I missing something.

I have asked this same question plenty of times, oh and Im not what most would class as a truck driver, I drive some long distance work from time to time and carry up to around 90 tons but only for myself or a mate or two

So it's not my profession by any stretch of the imagination

I wake at the same as a lot of other jokers and we pass by each other all day, I roll on into or around the same rest area that night
This doesn't always happen but it happens often enough

The old Mack gets 6.5 MPG on single work and 4 - 4.5 on doubles or more

These new jiggers get up and down the big mountain ranges pretty quick compared to me but at a guess only 1/2 hour quicker each day

Their trucks are much cooler and quieter than a R model Mack

So to answer your question, the big leaps are probably in comfort and ease of driving

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Mrsmackpaul.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago #214748 by prodrive
Replied by prodrive on topic What's new and red hot.
Interesting points eh..
Personally I love seeing an old jigger thats well maintained and still working.
I guess maybe it means I'm a sentimental fool, but one thing that stands out to me when looking at old truck pics, (from say the 60's 70's and 80's) is that
A) there seemed to be a lot more owner operators, and
B) There seemed to be a high degree of personalisation, and pride in the gear? Which is not to say that a lot of gear wasn't bloody rough- but it seemd a case of "this is me, this is my truck"...
Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems that this has now turned in to a flock of compliant, white, company owned same-same vehicles that are only customised by the amount of shiny chinese crap they can buy from anywehere.
Harsh perhaps, I know.. But I love seeing an old truck working away, doing what it was designed to do. Glen Reedman and his B model come to mind- still doing interstate and loving it (well, mostly..) I guess it's because we are from the era of "make work and make do".
A bit of good old aussie pride and ingenuity I say!
So keep it up you blokes. Credit to you.
Cheers
Rich

More
3 years 6 months ago #214750 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic What's new and red hot.
Not ever been a truck driver, I just drove trucks interstate for my brothers for fun when not at my usual job. Two of them were owner drivers, and their trucks were not much more than 10 years old, but by then they were flogged, we sneaked around with crap tyres, dodgy brakes, pulling company trailers that were in worse condition with no brakes and crap lights and crappy wiring. Today trucks in that condition would not be on the road. I remember late 70's the Hume highway claimed a life a day, crappy trucks, awful road, cowboy drivers, cowboy companies, all would have contributed. Perhaps today the trucks are kept in better condition, drivers and companies much more aware of their responsibilities and liabilities. Louey and Paul you might drive an old truck but I bet it is in good nick, even my rough looking ACCO has good tyres and brakes. And lights that work.

Comfort and safety.

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
3 years 6 months ago #214752 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic What's new and red hot.
The best fuel economy engines in the early eighties were Mack,Volvo ,Scania,all around 200g/KWHr....its pretty hard to find out specific fuel usage now,which to me ,means its a lot worse than it was .Anyone got one of listings of modern engines like Truck and Bus used to publish as a yearly review.?

More
3 years 6 months ago #214754 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic What's new and red hot.
I think you are right and they dont exist

Over in yanky land there is a group of fellas with Mack Anthems that get up 11.5 MPG

I think the normal was around 9.5

Mind you, their weights are extremely lite compared to Australia and the frontal area is a lot smaller to
Still impressive figures, I think they rev at something like 1600 at 70 MPH

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 6 months ago #214755 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic What's new and red hot.
I'd think fairly flat country too, Paul.

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #214770 by Mairjimmy
Replied by Mairjimmy on topic What's new and red hot.

Mrsmackpaul wrote: I think you are right and they dont exist

Over in yanky land there is a group of fellas with Mack Anthems that get up 11.5 MPG

I think the normal was around 9.5

Paul

Paul is that US gallons or Aussie...
US gal is .833 Aussie gal

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Mairjimmy.

Time to create page: 0.502 seconds