Skip to main content

Raising the Roof - making a tilt cab of a Karrier Bantam

More
2 years 11 months ago #221906 by Morris
Just make sure it doesn't turn out to be a Turkey!

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 11 months ago #221908 by wee-allis
What ever you call it, when it's finished it will be something to crow about. Keep at it Dave. I've loved the concept since the beginning. Can't wait for it be finished.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Dave_64

More
2 years 11 months ago #221910 by cobbadog
and pay no attention to my last suggestion, please.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #222221 by Dave_64
Thought it was about time I had a bit of a go in the shed, so past cupla days got the chassis ready for a "Dry Fit" with the cab.
Ignore the condition of the cab, once I've taken all my measurements where the new cab mounts go, will send the cabin out and have the rust repairs done.
I've had a go at the doors and blew holes in them so reckon it's time to bite the bullet and get someonbe else to do it.
Slap up a few photos, you'll see that the spacers for the front swivel mounts are made out of wood, just to get a bit of an idea of height off the chassis.
Also, bought a length of polyurethane pipe to knock up my own cab mount extensions, can buy stock donuts from McKays, although have to go through an agent, Blackwoods closest here, two-three weeks waiting time.
Bugger of a stuff to dry and do anything with! Only way I could work it was bore the centre out, stick it in the lathe and on highest possible speed, shaape it with a wood rasp and finish with a file, only four to do, so a bit of ginning around.
By removing the steering wheel, I can get the cabin to tilt back roughly sixty degrees, have a few ideas on how to lock the cabin down and also have a brand new ram off an engine crane, sent out by mistake, should be able to nut something out to jack the cab up.
Still big heaps to do, but slowly getting there!

Attachments:
Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by IHScout.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH

More
2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #222222 by Dave_64
Couple more, maybe someone can tilt a couple of these snaps which for some reason came out laying on their sides?
Thanks, Dave_64

Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by Sarge.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH, asw120, wee-allis, Tassie Dan

More
2 years 10 months ago #222227 by Dave_64
Must be something in the way I'm loading these snaps, have them all in a folder,correct orientation, when they appear here they seem to be all over the place, one is actually upside down? Doing something wrong!

More
2 years 10 months ago #222229 by IHScout
Never mind Dave, it's good exercise for us oldies to tilt our heads to the left and then the right looking at your photos. We could be paying $100's in physio fees to get the same treatment.

Dennis
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
2 years 10 months ago #222230 by 180wannabe
Hi Dave, i have to machine down the outer diameter of some polyurethane bushes soon for cab mounts myself, and i only read somewhere the other night to put them in the freezer overnight before hand. Apparently it firms them up to help make them more machinable.

Brett.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, PaulFH

More
2 years 10 months ago #222233 by John D
Hello Dave, saw a TK Bedford some years ago that had been converted to a tilt cab, He used trailer couplings on the cab and 50mm balls on the chassis to lock the cab down.Some may remember this truck around Sydney fitted with 671 GM and carted hot mix.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, PaulFH, roKWiz

More
2 years 10 months ago #222235 by Dave_64
Timely reply, Brett! Stuck that one in the freezer overnight, so will see how it goes tomorrow, Thanks! Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe

Time to create page: 0.756 seconds