Skip to main content

Raising the Roof - making a tilt cab of a Karrier Bantam

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #233580 by Mrsmackpaul
A interesting but usless observation from this joker

Many years ago on here Bigcam was putting power steering on his Diamond Reo and I learnt then about this thing called bump steer
Anyway the long and short of it is drag link from the steering box to the axle should follow a line parallel to the ground when weights on the vehicle
This limits the change in steering as the axle goes up and down over bumps, hence the name bump steer
Apparently this can be quite server at times

Just looking at the drag link in the photo here, Commer obviously weren't to concerned about it

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #233583 by Dave_64
Mrs!
Hadn't noticed that before, looking at the rebuilt one, by the time it has the cab as well as the engine sitting in the chassis, actually is almost parallel to the shed floor.
Well spotted!
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #233600 by PaulFH
Might be best set up to follow the arc of the spring from front hanger, closely as practical.
Just an idea, Paul.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, Mrsmackpaul

More
2 years 2 weeks ago #234086 by Dave_64
Just a bit of an update, the Karrier (The Mistress), got a bit of a present over the weekend, fitted a new lockable battery/tool box ( keep the honest thieves out), new battery isolating switch, started putting the hardwood bearers for the chassis rails back on then so chuffed with progress I promptly knocked off!

Cabin tilt mast cover has also been added, although mast itself tends to bind a bit on the way back down, bit of tweaking required, got a cupla old rollers off a spare winch may try one of them or simply throw a handful of grease at the mast.
Did have a go at cupla rust holes, I am NOT a welder, had a go with both the MIG and the TIG on some scrap, just cant seem to get it quite right, practice, practice.

Funny thing though, seem to have more joy with a little inverter type arc with 2.5mm rods, but no good on panel metal.
Until next update,
Dave_64
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 2 weeks ago #234089 by cobbadog
With the rust holes it is a case of practise, practise and then more practise. Things that may help is the use of a heat sink. A piece of brass, copper or aluminium behind the hole and do a few tacks. I have not tried a TIG welder yet but it took me ages to teach myself to use the MIG and I too need more practise. If you are not so good with the MIG you will become very good with the grinder. If arc is the prefference try lighter rods, 2.5mm is a bit too big for panel metal.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, PaulFH

More
2 years 2 weeks ago #234090 by Mrsmackpaul
Have tried all three welding types
TIG is a no go zone for me, I dunno, I think maybe if I could find someone who actually new what they were doing and could actually TIG weld they could tell me in a few minutes what part of my technique is wrong

MIG with 0.6 mm wire is the go for body work, unlike previous setting descriptions I have offered before, follow the instructions in the door of the welder for settings, lots of stop start welding, just flick of the trigger type deal

With my Lincoln inverter stick/TIG I can stick weld anything except maybe body type of steel, it welds good upside down, inside out , no matter what or were it is a good welder and without question the best welder I have ever used, but it cost plenty and you could buy a couple of decent MIG welders or inverter stick welders for the money.
To me it was money well spent, I had tried other brands but found for heavy duty non stop welding on full power they don't have a good enough duty cycle

Paul

The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Dave_64, PaulFH

More
2 years 1 week ago #234103 by cobbadog
We have seen your brilliant efforts on welding making those suspension parts for the McGrath trailer, beautiful work. Never had the chance to have a go at TIG but was good with the oxy welding. MIG you are right 0.6mm wire for panel work and buy a good brand wire not some el cheapo stuff from the good old auction site or local hardware.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 1 week ago #234105 by Mrsmackpaul
Thanks for the kind words Cobba

I would really like to learn to TIG weld as it is apparently the best and strongest weld available

I weld aluminium with the MIG okay

I cant imagine what it would be like to not be able to weld, I guess it all depends on the type of life we live as to if it is important or not, it is up there with reading and writing for importance in my life

I do a lot of reading and as years have gone by I just cant imagine what it is like been unable to read and really feel for people that missed out on learning

Anyway we are never to old to learn

Paul

The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
2 years 1 week ago #234114 by overnite
I agree MrsMac. How awful it would be not being able to read and write, or do simple maths. Some people are afflicted with this, through no fault of theirs. There but for the grace of God, go you and I.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, wee-allis

More
1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #234870 by Dave_64
Bit more of an update, things go slowly around here in Wonderland!
Started assembling a few bits and pieces on the new tray. well new to me anyway, was an old Gould's 4 wheel farm alloy, old steel tipper body simply beyond hope with cancer.
Cupla photos setting up the hydraulic ram, if you can make it out, that bit of new shovel handle was belted in just to line up the pivot points, which had to have the faces machined down a cupla mm.

Bought the tray off a mate of me bro-in-law, give him a cupla hundred bucks and although a bit daggy, will tidy up with a bit of alloy welding and shortened by about a foot. Somebody had made up a two inch gal pipe hurdle to suit, gonna have a sheet of checker plate welded to it.
Hydraulics in reasonable nick, bit of wear where the rear mount swivels, could maybe bush it out take a bit of slack out of it, but may just leave it as it is.

Tray now sitting on 100 X 50 X 5 mm thick rectangular steel, possibly should have squeezed a bit of sikaflex between the alloy bearers and new steel chassis rails, whole lot sitting on 75X50mm hardwood runners.
When I ground the old steel mounts from the alloy , was a bit of electrolysis, but who knows how old the fool thing is or how long it's been out in the weather?
Reckon I'll be well and truly gone by the time it starts again. Gave em a good dose of paint anyaway, after grinding the old huck bolts off, cleaning the rust off the mounts and reinstalling them with hi-tensile bolts.

I don't know what sort of pressure those huck bolts were installed under, but cutting them flush with the metal with an ultra thin cutting disc, let go with a hell of a bang, cut them on top of the box trailer figuring they hit the deck, better than flying in all directions.
Thats about it for the moment, cheers! Dave_64

Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Sarge.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.561 seconds