Raising the Roof - making a tilt cab of a Karrier Bantam

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
2 years 10 months ago #222287 by Swishy
Gr8 pix
keep m cummin

https://www.hcvc.com.au/forum/attachment/22995

Looks like what Atkinson used for the rear engine mount sittin on top of chassis

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: xspanrman

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 10 months ago #222290 by roKWiz

Gr8 pix
keep m cummin

Looks like what Atkinson used for the rear engine mount sittin on top of chassis

cya

Yes. This Atkinson is similar.

Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 10 months ago #222329 by Mrsmackpaul
To cut your polyurethane in a lathe you need to shape the cutting tool like a sharp knife out of the the kitchen draw, so long and very thin, looks stupid but gives a nice clean cut thats shiny with out distorting and deflecting the polyurethane, no need to freeze or any of that stuff

Project is looking good

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, 180wannabe, cobbadog, Dave_64, Gryphon, PaulFH

More
2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #222343 by Dave_64
When down in Ballarat today, returning a hydraulic ram that was sent in error, looking around their shop and found a box of 10 cutting pieces for the lathe, narrowest one only about 2-3mm wide (without actually measuring it). $58 for the box of ten, prolly Chinese, but I doubt I'll be cutting anything too hard.
Be interesting to see how they go on the poly.
Spun up a tapered bush on a 5/8" spindle, going like the proverbial house on fire, full revs, taking only small cuts and when I took it out of the chuck, came out as almost a liquid! (This was before I bought the new tool pieces). I saw on Youtube how a bloke got really good results with the blade of a Stanley knife fixed to a tool bit with a small home made clamp. Made it look easy, the machining part.

On another tack, kept going back to that bloke with the TK full tilt cab, assuming he either fitted another steering column off another tilt cab make? I have had shaft splines cut, when shortening 9" Ford diffs for a Jeep project years ago. Thought maybe about having the original inner steering shaft splined, then you have to match that with a female telescopic outer column so it will slide up and down.
I'd like to fit some sort of power steering eventually, so will have a look at a small full tilt cab Japper, most seem to have full power steering these days.
Dave_64
Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by Dave_64.

More
2 years 10 months ago #222344 by hayseed
Dave, The early Tilt cab Leylands. You had to remove(Pull)the Steering column/Shaft up out of the Steering Box to Tilt the Cab..!!

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
2 years 10 months ago #222346 by wee-allis
And from memory the gear stick and seat stayed put when the cab was tilted.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #222347 by Dave_64
That sounds like A.P.I.T.A. to me, surely you wouldn't have to line up the spline(s) every time you jacked the shed up?? Leaving the sticks and seats in one place could work around maybe, but better idea like earlier cab over Pete's and K.W's had just a small pedestal attached to the chassis on a frame, when the shed dropped, fell on the pedestal which had a compound seal around it, before they went to remote cables, I mean. Maynes had an old F model sleeper cab with the twin stick box, when you looked at it, looked like a contorsionists wet dream, if it jammed the aux side of it, had to jack the shed up and give it a smack with a hammer, but by then it had prolly done a million miles on the highway and was only being used for local. Dave_64
Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by Dave_64.

More
2 years 10 months ago #222348 by Dave_64
Just thinking about this, can't remember just what type of make it was, but on top of the steering box, had a short (2-3") stubby shaft with a uni joint on it, the sliding part of the telescope had a square type spline not unlike a light tractor P T O , female part had a hefty looking receiver with a grease nipple in it, maybe cab over Fiat? Deutz? Benz? Some early girl.

More
2 years 10 months ago #222349 by overnite
WeeAllis, I had a Leyland Mastiff V8 Perkins approximately 1982, if memory serves me correctly, only the gearlever and rubber boot stayed in place. It used to P me off when mechanics would never replace the boot after servicing, and you’d get back in the truck at 2am on a winter’s morning with frozen fingers trying to put the pr*cl of a boot back on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Dave_64, PaulFH, wee-allis

More
2 years 10 months ago #222355 by mammoth
Getting the Leyland memories mixed a bit. Hayseed's and Overnite's trucks used the BMC cab which as said was not developed properly and had it's short comings. The 'ergomatic' cab on full weight Leylands had the silly idea of leaving controls and driver's seat fixed.
If you find an early Volvo at the wreckers the telescopic column and uni's could be used for your project.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, PaulFH, wee-allis

Time to create page: 0.530 seconds