Skip to main content

Raising the Roof - making a tilt cab of a Karrier Bantam

More
2 years 10 months ago #222361 by Zuffen
Why not use the common double D shaft used in many US based vehicles.

This allows the shaft to slide within itself.

Jaguar used a sliding shaft on the steering of XJ6s.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 10 months ago #222362 by JOHN.K.
My 82 Terrier has the rigid shaft...but the 82 Harrier has the sliding spline......The Ergomatic cab on the big Leylands had the steering,drivers seat and floor stay put when the cab was tilted.....this was fairly fortunate as it wasnt uncommon for the cab to tilt out on the road...was also very draughty if the brush and rubber seal around the floor was in poor condition.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #222366 by Dave_64
Bit of a play with the lathe today, got the rears sorted out, starting on the front next, all up raised it 45mm from std.
Also mounted a pair of tow ball couplers on a template, ginned around removing surplus material from around grill area to clear everything at full tilt. All in all, got a bit done.

Dave
Attachments:
Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by IHScout.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH, Tassie Dan

More
2 years 10 months ago #222367 by Dave_64
Photos on their side AGAIN. Took particular car that iPhone was right way up, transferred them onto my desktop, again all right way up. Soon as their posted fall a..e over tit!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 10 months ago #222372 by overnite
I must be missing something with the Ergonomic cabs. What’s the use of a tilt cab if the floor stays down? How does that give access to the engine?
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 10 months ago #222374 by Lang
Makes it easier to sweep up the cigarette butts and McDonalds wrappers off the floor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, V8Ian

More
2 years 10 months ago #222376 by Morris
Dave_64 Your standard of work is outstanding. When you take it for inspection they will think it is factory standard, maybe a prototype that did not go into production?

Don't worry about your photos going sideways. It IS a tilt-cab after all.:woohoo:

The photos I got were only little tiny ones at the bottom of your message and they were all the right way up. I had to click on each one in turn. No doubt the electronical gremlins are having a laugh at your expense!

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Dave_64

More
2 years 10 months ago #222378 by wee-allis

I must be missing something with the Ergonomic cabs. What’s the use of a tilt cab if the floor stays down? How does that give access to the engine?

I may be wrong again, but from my memory, it was only the section of floor from under the seat forward, along with the gear stick that stayed put. The rest went up with the cab. Gotta admit, it has been about 40 years since I last worked on the only one I ever worked on, so might be a bit fuzzy.

More
2 years 10 months ago #222382 by overnite
Thanks for the explanation.

More
2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #222384 by mammoth
In terms of access with the Leyland ergo cab only the alternator and starter motor was on the driver's side, everything else on left side and easily accessible when cab tilted. Although White tilt cabs had been around for a while this was a first for UK trucks and took them a (long) while to get it right. Volvo had successful tilt cabs from the same time but it wasn't until '67 that they entered the UK and Autralian market by which time Leyland trucks were haemoraging money to the car division that had just been foisted on them and not in a position to respond quickly, even if they wanted to.
Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by mammoth.

Time to create page: 0.584 seconds