Skip to main content

Raising the Roof - making a tilt cab of a Karrier Bantam

More
2 years 8 months ago #223692 by cobbadog
Good chances that it would be UV prtected but when I bought the winch for Lorry I had the choice of the rope or the wire. My line of thinking was that the wire, in theory, should be a bit tougher and handle running over the beavertail when recovering a toy that does not want to drive up. Where as a nylon type of rope could easily fray. If an inconsiderate smoker flicked his but onto it then it would melt and weaken it and same if Im grinding or welding up on the tray like I have to do soon to replace a section of checker plate that too could dame the soft rope quicker than wire.
Dont know if that makes sense to others but it did in my head so bought the wire rope one.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 8 months ago #223695 by projectinter
My winch rope is dyneema and its 10 years old. The expose bit of rope has faded from the sun a fair bit but I’ve use it recently and hasn’t snapped pulling 2+ ton.
It would be heaps for a cab. I also had boom loader which used a really thin dyneema rope and that was rated for over 500 kg and never broke even when fairly frayed

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
2 years 8 months ago #223696 by Swishy
I got a length of 12mm dyreema rope rated @ 8 ton
Eye use it on an electric winch on the semi trailer to slide the bogie 4 wads n backwards
this joker sells it by the metre located @ Bulleen Melb
www.ebay.com.au/str/bozracing?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, PaulFH

More
2 years 8 months ago - 2 years 8 months ago #223709 by hayseed
The Winch on My Boat Trailer has stuff like a Seatbelt & is rated at(I think) 1/2 a Tonne..

Edit; Went & had a Bo-Peep Actually rated for 950kg.

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by hayseed. Reason: added a bit

More
2 years 8 months ago #223717 by Zuffen
To me the big bonus or Dyreema is no meat hooks when the steel cable get frayed or damaged, and they do get damaged.

Most 4x4s now use Dyreema rope in lieu of cable as when it does snap it doesn't tend to cut people in half.

More
2 years 6 months ago #225563 by Dave_64
Awaiting delivery of length of Dyreema rope.
Have mounted Mazda T3500/T4000 power steering box. Got hold of a telescoping Mazda fully adjustable steering column, mocked it up today, arsey enough to also get hold of one of those momo type steering wheel boss, on its way. Easiest way is to get a 20mm metric spline adapter to a one inch tapered bush with a keyway. Turned one up out of alloy just so I can set up the tilt column. If a buffoon like me can turn one up, a good machinist should be able to make me one out of steel. Dave_64

More
2 years 6 months ago #225598 by PDU
Get your camera out Dave_64 ;)

More
2 years 6 months ago #225600 by Dave_64
Out the bush at sons block, will take photos and post next cupla days
The following user(s) said Thank You: PDU

More
2 years 6 months ago #225870 by Dave_64
Have one of those 'Momo' type steering wheel hubs here now, plenty of after market steering wheels around.
But like the idea of keeping the original 17 inch wheel.
The original Karrier set up was a tapered shaft with a keyway cut into it, , bit over an inch diameter X about an inch long(25mm),whereas the Mazda has a very fine spline, about 5/8" or 16 mm.
Going to ask around and see if I can get a machinist to knock me one up from scratch, or get the momo boss machined down to suit the Karrier centre. They are easy enough to get hold of and can just about retain the original horn button and centre as well. Going to be left with about two inches of exposed outer tube, but can prolly turn up something on my own lathe out of poly pipe.
Wouldn't have a go at attempting a tapered adapting boss. Outside my expertise.
Just about finished the cabin hoist set up, awaiting the Dyreema rope and once threaded on will add a few piccies.
Cheers, Dave

More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #225874 by Lang
Dyneema is now standard rope on all 4WD vehicle winches. Much stronger size for size than wire rope, much safer (little break fly back), much easier to handle and of course no scorpions to rip your hands. It is not super UV resistant but will last years out of direct sunlight.

You can get it everywhere they sell ropes or winches, by the metre.

Lang
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Lang.

Time to create page: 0.486 seconds