Updated 28th July.

If you are unable to login, you probably need to read this change to your username & profile.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Raising the Roof - making a tilt cab of a Karrier Bantam 25 Sep 2021 14:27 #226059

• Dave_64
  • Dave_64's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 530
Bit of an update
Damn! Top one upside down!
Anyhow, supposed to show top photo with mast locked at halfway, middle one at full extension, bottom one with cabin fully seated.
The square looking box affair will slide over the mast when mounted hiding the ropes and pulleys.
In the foreground is the remote control and the safety bar that locks each stage, although winch can be raised or lowered anytime in its travel. Just keep fingers out of the way before inserting locking pin.
Dyreema (?) rope much improvement over that snarly wire rope.
Old tool box holding the actual winch will sit just below the level of the hardwood bearers for the tipping tray.
Dave_64
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH, asw120, roKWiz, wee-allis, oliver1950

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Dave_64.

Raising the Roof - making a tilt cab of a Karrier Bantam 25 Sep 2021 18:41 #226063

• PaulFH
  • Thank you received: 1214
Really neat work, fitting all that up Dave.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

Raising the Roof - making a tilt cab of a Karrier Bantam 25 Sep 2021 19:31 #226065

• Mrsmackpaul
  • Thank you received: 1774
Now I stupidly thought " why not make it lift using 12 volt rams or actuators ?"
Then I thought, "what happens if you have no power ?, you'll be screwed"

Do you have a plan for no power operation ?

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Raising the Roof - making a tilt cab of a Karrier Bantam 25 Sep 2021 20:08 #226069

• Dave_64
Mrs, have cupla alternatives if run out of power.
Can fit cupla those light horse float rear tailgate springs with a hand ratchet 'come-along- billy' hand winch. Dont know what the correct name for em is.
Have an old set of wire strainers with the 3 sets of locking jaws, but stuffed that idea up when I replaced the wire cable with the Dyreema rope.
Alright whilst it's at home here, got the overhead gantry and chain block to lifft cab, BUT, out on the road, either have to carry the spare winch or carry a telephone post to jerry rig the chain block to!
In truth, haven't really nutted that out yet, you know what they say about rushing things, only stuff them up!
Dave

Raising the Roof - making a tilt cab of a Karrier Bantam 25 Sep 2021 21:15 #226072

• 180wannabe
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 173
Maybe just carry a set of jumper leads, someone will surely help you out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Raising the Roof - making a tilt cab of a Karrier Bantam 25 Sep 2021 21:19 #226073

• Dave_64
Yeah, the winch power leads are on their own seperate cicuit.
Other than carrying the spare winch, just how many spares can you accomodate?
Always get it up to the first stage manually with my 'Hi-Lift' 4WD jack if worst comes to worse, get the shed up without power that way, winch has a free running clutch built into it!
OR, probably simpler, we are talking alternatives aren't we?

A short piece of say 75X75 or 100X 100 square tube with one end plated, an eye welded to the side of it.
Hook the 'come-along-billy' hand winch to the top of the mast at one end and use the existing cable eye at the other and hand winch it up.
Get the shed up if the rope breaks or the winch power goes off.
I dunno, is that thinking outside the square?

Last edit: by Dave_64.

Raising the Roof - making a tilt cab of a Karrier Bantam 26 Sep 2021 07:29 #226081

• wee-allis
  • Thank you received: 749
Dave, it's time to just have faith in the project and what you have done. What happens "if" just creates more problems. You have overcome so many since you started this, so a breakdown or loss of electric power is a minor problem, and how often does that happen?
Steve.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Dave_64

Raising the Roof - making a tilt cab of a Karrier Bantam 26 Sep 2021 12:23 #226095

• Zuffen
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 397
Why not install a second battery that is isolated from the starter battery.

The odds of both being flat is remote and you also have a back up you could jump start the engine from if the main battery curled up its toes.

Most 4x4 with winches run two batteries in just the setup I described.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

Raising the Roof - making a tilt cab of a Karrier Bantam 26 Sep 2021 13:05 #226096

• Dave_64
Got the same system in my Prado.
Redarc

Time to create page: 0.481 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Phone: 0400 025 525    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558