Skip to main content

GPS Speedometer

More
3 years 6 months ago #215590 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic GPS Speedometer
it certainly was not connected to any racial overtones (although it is probably not acceptable now). It is a very common expression used for a couple of hundred years in all English speaking countries. Just went down in the natural flow of the typing.

I will certainly try to retrain my 70 year old brain to avoid offence in the future.

Lang

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago #215593 by Gryphon
Replied by Gryphon on topic GPS Speedometer

overnite wrote: Lang, very surprised you could type the “N” word, every time I try to write, Google automatically changes it. I have tried to write, what is the acronym for Pontiac ? The answer is “ Poor old N......r thinks it’s a Cadillac “. But google changes the N word.

I have tested your search and typing it in and a few other variations on different browsers and none have censored the word. You may need to check the settings in your Browser as it doesn't seem to be standard behaviour.

Terry

More
3 years 6 months ago #215595 by Lang
The offence taken by almost everybody to a vast number of common words or expressions has reached high levels of stupidity, in fact, insanity and I often go out of my way to use them to upset some idiot.

On the other hand, there are words which have been traditionally extremely offensive and, probably correctly, no longer acceptable for public use. The word in question is certainly one.

I can only speak for myself but will try to refrain from its use in future.

lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: craig308, asw120, Southbound

More
3 years 6 months ago #215599 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic GPS Speedometer

Gryphon wrote:

overnite wrote: Lang, very surprised you could type the “N” word, every time I try to write, Google automatically changes it. I have tried to write, what is the acronym for Pontiac ? The answer is “ Poor old N......r thinks it’s a Cadillac “. But google changes the N word.

I have tested your search and typing it in and a few other variations on different browsers and none have censored the word. You may need to check the settings in your Browser as it doesn't seem to be standard behaviour.

Terry

Thanks Terry

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #215600 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic GPS Speedometer

Lang wrote: The offence taken by almost everybody to a vast number of common words or expressions has reached high levels of stupidity, in fact, insanity and I often go out of my way to use them to upset some idiot.

On the other hand, there are words which have been traditionally extremely offensive and, probably correctly, no longer acceptable for public use. The word in question is certainly one.

I can only speak for myself but will try to refrain from its use in future.

lang

To be honest, I can’t see a problem with that word or many others, but unfortunately there seems to be too many people who are PC who think other people might be offended. I think they must have too much time on their hands. I think they should harden up. Whatever happened to sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me.
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by overnite.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Southbound, wee-allis, oliver1950

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #215603 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic GPS Speedometer
Lang and others, I in no way was offended by Lang's posting. My comment was just a mis-guided attempt at humour.

History shows that the "N" word is just a bastardisation of the word "Negro", shortened by lazy speech. In saying that, today even the "Negro" word is deemed offensive to some.

Call me old fashioned, but the use of the F word in mixed company still makes me cringe at times.

Anyway Lang, I hope your new speedo arrives soon and it works as you want.
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by wee-allis.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Morris, Lang, Southbound, Brocky45

More
3 years 6 months ago #215604 by geoffb
Replied by geoffb on topic GPS Speedometer
Lang
Mine is a Hummin Bird available in White Face or Black Face
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #215605 by Lang
Geoff

I ordered one that has the direction arrows and high beam indicator in the face. The Mack wiring is a mess so this will save some time.

You have a choice of 6 different colour backlights all for well under $100

Lang
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Time to create page: 0.502 seconds