Skip to main content

Latest NSW Rego changes

More
3 years 5 months ago #216075 by wee-allis
The latest allowable modifications to vehicles on Historic plates here in NSW are truely amazing. They have finally agreed that you can have a later model suspension with disc brakes, provided the complete system is installed, including wheels and it is by the same manufacturer. About time, for safety reasons.

BUT, although you can fit a radio, cassette or 8 track player, CD players are considered an unacceptable modification. Go figure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 months ago #216076 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Latest NSW Rego changes
Wee-Allis, you may be jumping the gun a little. In NSW there are two streams - the Classic Vehicle Scheme (CVS) which is for historic vehicles which have been modified in some way and therefore require an engineering certificate - and the Historic vehicle scheme (HVS). Transport for NSW is pushing to make the HVS for pure and original historics and in this vein has put out a consultation paper to clubs with a list of proposed acceptable modifications as well as inviting others.
Note that the disc brake conversions on that list have to be from the same model, not just the same make.
A lot of this looks like someone looking for a job rather than leaving it up to clubs to be the judge. At this stage it is only a proposal and we will have to wait and see how it turns out.
The proposal does not apply to heavy vehicles, but leaves light commercial vehicles, which were often modified during their working lives, caught in the cross fire.

More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #216094 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Latest NSW Rego changes
Mammoth mate, not jumping the gun. I have the official documents on hand. They were issued a new list of "Period Options, Accessories and Safety items" which are acceptable under the Historic Vehicle Scheme.

I believe most Clubs have been sent the link to the 3 page document.

The point I was trying to make is the stupidity of some of the acceptable modifications. That being, allowing disc brake conversions, (a good thing) and disallowing something as simple as a CD player which can be fitted in the glove box or under the dash. No arial needed. No one would know it was there, but could deem the vehicle unregistered should there be an investigation after an accident. .
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by wee-allis.

More
3 years 5 months ago #216099 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Latest NSW Rego changes
I wouldnt allow any mods ,if I was running the show.....I get very POd at the wholesale upgrading of old cars etc with mods "to make them safer",in actual fact to make them cheap concessional rego daily drivers.These schemes are for genuine or restored old vehicles,not so a lot of tossers can make money by carving up every old car they can find into a daily drive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, Tacho

More
3 years 5 months ago #216136 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Latest NSW Rego changes
So were would the line be drawn as almost all trucks are not even close to been original at the end of their working life

I understand what your saying John and agree with you but Im not sure how it would be implemented

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 5 months ago #216137 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Latest NSW Rego changes
Who ever implements these proposed new rules will need a lot of books to confirm what parts belong to what vehicle.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
3 years 5 months ago #216174 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Latest NSW Rego changes
Yes they would need one heck of a book cobba
I just dont see it as practical

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 4 months ago #216690 by wee-allis

mammoth wrote: Wee-Allis, you may be jumping the gun a little. In NSW there are two streams - the Classic Vehicle Scheme (CVS) which is for historic vehicles which have been modified in some way and therefore require an engineering certificate - and the Historic vehicle scheme (HVS). Transport for NSW is pushing to make the HVS for pure and original historics and in this vein has put out a consultation paper to clubs with a list of proposed acceptable modifications as well as inviting others.
Note that the disc brake conversions on that list have to be from the same model, not just the same make.
A lot of this looks like someone looking for a job rather than leaving it up to clubs to be the judge. At this stage it is only a proposal and we will have to wait and see how it turns out.
The proposal does not apply to heavy vehicles, but leaves light commercial vehicles, which were often modified during their working lives, caught in the cross fire.

Hi Mr Mammoth, apologies needed. Yes you were right in saying that the list from TfN is just their ideas for changes. I, like many only got the list with out the explanation, which has now been issued in full.
Steve.

More
3 years 4 months ago #216696 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Latest NSW Rego changes
No worries. Bit like a Christmas present and overlooking the instructions that got left in the wrapping with all the excitement, LOL.
The NSW Historic Motoring Assn (formerly NSW Southern Motoring Assn) is lobbying to to have TfNSW take a more logical approach and leave a lot of decisions on detail to club registrars so we will have to see how it turns out. Good news is that the "log book" is to be passport size and "in print".

More
3 years 4 months ago #216699 by wee-allis
Yes we are members of NSWHMA and have been since the start of the SMA.

The only problem with not having all allowable modifications listed and confirmed, it then leaves the owner liable to hassles as different inspectors and heaven help us, the Police, have no way of knowing what the individual Club has approved.

The biggest problem with transport inspectors from whichever state, is that so many of the regulations they are trying to enforce are open to interpretation.

Time to create page: 0.537 seconds