Skip to main content

Tesla

More
3 years 4 months ago #216611 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Tesla
Billy

Your guess is as good as mine but I just had a look at Norway and Sweden where they are forcing people into electric cars with taxes on petrol vehicles rising.

Last year Norwegian car sales were 70% electric! All fossil fuel car sales are banned from 2025.

Norway is different from many countries because they have huge hydro electric resources (while being a major world producer of oil for the rest of us). The thing to find out relevant to this thread is not how they power their cars but how the recharging infrastructure is coping with soon to be 100% electric vehicles.

It must be working, maybe not as hard as we think?

Lang

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
3 years 4 months ago #216612 by BillyP
Replied by BillyP on topic Tesla
.Lang ............how big is Norway compared to Aussie ...........About 5% roughly..........
That makes it a quite diffrent kettle of fish. .................
A Norway rocket up our governments rear end wouldnt be much of a comparison.
But, hoo nose, (as the man would say).....................
......................Billy..................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.

• Swishy
  • Topic Author
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
3 years 4 months ago #216613 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Tesla
Just think n out loud here
guessn most cars in the future for Au will B diesel / electric
electric till the battery runs flat
diesel to continue on journey and long distance

Me dun think diesel is ded yet

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
3 years 4 months ago #216614 by Lang
It is small but the lesson to be learned is how a country of any size keeps its predominantly electric car fleet operating. It is after all a sophisticated western nation with a very similar culture to ours ie fully motorised. I have seen nothing about transport grinding to a halt or public unrest about having their motoring restricted so hundreds of thousands of cars are being satisfactorily fed every day.

How do they do it and can we copy them?

Lang

More
3 years 4 months ago #216615 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Tesla
Here's some answers that may or may not be of interest

In a state the size of Victoria electric cars will cover almost any conceivable trip
Most of NSW will be the same as well as will 2/3 rds of QLD

80% of people in Norway are buying electric cars of their own choice, however the government is giving good incentives for electric cars

The supply net work in Australia is large enough as it is at the moment
Just like the square wave that gets sent down the power line to switch your tariffs on your smart meter, a different shape ripple in the sine wave can be sent to tell all cars that are plugged in to start charging when power demand is low

It is predicted that most people will no longer own cars in the city once autonomous cars are well and truly up and running
The car will still be used but like our smart phones and pay TV most people will pay a token fee each month for access to a pre booked car when needed
This is going to save a fortune in insurance, parking, rego and car repayments and result in a lot less cars on the road

A 400 mile range will get almost everyone to were they are on a long weekend with out having to stop and charge, there are plenty of cars in the pipeline that have this range or more

I guess we can be dragged kicking and screaming and end up bitter and twisted or we can find a way to fit in

Also country people will have little choice if electric car sales go anything like they are predicted as car manufacturers will just stop making petrol and diesel cars as the sales wont warrant keeping a production line going

Look at GM and how they just stopped making RHD

I feel people need to think about how we transition to this or how they are going to make out if it does all happen and they dig their heels in and refuse to change

You can still buy coal for your steam engine but not as easy as you once could

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 4 months ago #216616 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Tesla
If you look at the distance driven by vehicles in Norway I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be anywhere near as far as our vehicles.

If your electric car has a 600km range and it drives 200km a week it only needs charging every 3 weeks.

I know my usage around town would go 3 weeks on a single charge but I do drive a number of vehicles so if I was driving just one I may need to recharge every week.

I'm about to move back onto acreage and a priority is a large shed with Solar and battery storage.

If I buy a Tesla I can plug it in and when the house battery gets low it can act as a jump starter. Sure it may not have much range the next morning but a few hours of sunlight and it would get me through the day.

For my country journeys I would need to plan ahead but as an OSOM Pilot I would severely inconvenience the convoy whilst I stop for an hour or so to recharge.

More
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #216617 by Lang
Well here is an interesting one.

The average annual mileage driven by cars in Australia is 13,301 Kilometres (ABS figures)

The average annual mileage driven by Americans is 13,476 MILES, not far off double Australia. (US Board of Trade Figures)

Now here is the kicker:

The average mileage for all cars in Norway is 12,480 kilometres but for Norwegian electric cars it is 16,840 kilometres (Norwegian Bureau of Statistics figures). This figure is obviously boosted because the entire main cities taxi fleet are electric but it still leaves the general population electric vehicles driving more than us in Australia.

We can not poo poo Norway because it is small. Put a map of Norway over each person in Australia and you would find over 90% of people would not cross its borders in their annual travel. it is 2.200km from Skarsvag in the north to Kristiansand in the south, exactly the same as Brisbane to Adelaide.

We should be seriously looking at how they are managing to keep their electric wheels turning freely and efficiently.

lang
Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul, Zuffen

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
3 years 4 months ago #216621 by BillyP
Replied by BillyP on topic Tesla
.I suppose i shouldnt say this ,But, I really dont give a continental whether we go electric or not.
As i wont be around to let it worry me. (My old Troopy is going to see me out i am sure.)..............
Who knows what inventions are just around the corner ??????????
So the only problem for me by burying my head deep in the sand is that it will be hard to breathe ...........
..................Billy.................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.

More
3 years 4 months ago #216622 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Tesla
Lang,

Interesting you live and learn and I just learnt!

I do agree the longer term problem for all Countries is having the infrastructure (both power grid and Servo's) to keep up with demand.

More
3 years 4 months ago #216624 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Tesla
I think our biggest problem will be infrastructure, Just last week several wind and solar plants in the Riverina had to cut back because the grid couldn't handle the output. We obviously have the capacity to produce lots of power, but getting it to where it is needed is apparently a problem at the moment.

We talk about how they will charge for EVs, but they will sort that out. Currently, there is talk of charging home owners with solar generators for the excess power that they put back into the grid. When first connected, they paied me 60 cents a kwh. Now down to 11 cents per kwh. Now they want to charge me? Battery storage and off grid coming soon. But still they will charge an "Availability" levy, as the wires go past the property.

Time to create page: 0.568 seconds