Skip to main content

Lorries Brake Vacuum

More
3 years 3 months ago #218078 by cobbadog
Today I had a little time to investigate this again. Last episode I was not sure what or if there was any vacuum so I bought a gauge and it was reading good vacuum and quickly. I now forget that number. So at start up after not running for a couple of weeks it takes around 12 - 15 seconds for the vacuum light to go out. I do have brakes.
Now on the dash board there are 3 lights for brakes, 1 is for park brake, 2 is for vacuum and the 3 is for squeeze the cheeks of your bum together and hang on as you have no brakes. With #3 if it is alight then there is the accompanying squeal from the alarm.
So my logic was that a switch maybe stuck and causing this problem. SO on the vacuum tanks (both of them) there are small switches with 26v going to them. These connections are clean and when either or both are disconnected with the engine running the brake warning light is still on and if you release the hand brake then you get squealed at.
So to the next switch which is directly from the vacuum pump on the alternator.
Line #1 is directly from the pump and is making vacuum, then continues to the tanks.
Line #2 goes to I don't know where but back through the chassis.
Line #3 comes from the booster and is possibly the back side of the diaphragm and no vacuum there at all but I have not tested this with the foot brake applied.

So this switch has been removed as it has a solenoid as the main working part I thought maybe this is stuck. Stripped it on the bench and it was clean inside the small valve that operates up and down was free and that valve has 2 small round flat rubber seals to seat against the seat to redirect vacuum to line 1 or 2. those small round rubber seats have small indentations on them but nothing excessive.
Next I wanted to test the power to the switch but with the engine off or running there appears to be no live wire here. AS I have no idea as to what exactly this switch does or when power should or should be here.
Any help will be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 3 months ago #218103 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic Lorries Brake Vacuum
“Curiouser and curiouser!” Cried Alice (she was so much surprised, that for the moment she quite forgot how to speak good English). :unsure:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 3 months ago #218105 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Lorries Brake Vacuum
Does the switch get power when you put your foot on the brakes

Guessing line 2 goes to a vacuum tank as trucks are required to have reserve vacuum if the motor is not going

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 3 months ago #218108 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Lorries Brake Vacuum
Will have to find a stick to test if that is the case.
Line one is from the vacuum pump and continues to both tanks via a "T" piece. Line two will have to be chased later to find out where on earth it does go.
Thanks for the replies.

More
3 years 3 months ago #218109 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Lorries Brake Vacuum
PDU, Your quote from Alice in Wonderland is good but I think that Billy Bunter (The Owl of the third Remove) would have said "The curiousness is terrific."

I expect that given your history you would understand the reference but probably no one else here does?

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
3 years 3 months ago #218110 by jon_d
Replied by jon_d on topic Lorries Brake Vacuum
My guess is;

The wires are part of the alarm circuit. Which requires a sequence of events (switches) to be open/closed to trigger.

The "solenoid" is a mechanical spring loaded vacuum switch which switches in emergency vacuum if the main vacuum is lost.

More
3 years 3 months ago #218111 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic Lorries Brake Vacuum
I couldn't stand that obnoxious fat Owl of the Remove, least of all the old black and white film portrayal of Billy Bunter, sorry Morris. :dry:

Although I have watched the odd episode or two the whole Greyfriars scene never appealed to me, in book, cartoon, or comic form - perhaps I was just a public school boy at heart? In fact I could stomach the over acted Andy Hardy easier, and he was also obnoxious too!

Attachments:

More
3 years 3 months ago #218119 by cobbadog
I jambed a stick from seat to brake pedal, confirmed brake lights were on and with the engine running. Tested the wires for power and still no electrickery at the connection. So at least that is now a known thing.
Then I was having a cuppa and thought about something.
Well kick my arse 'til my nose bleeds. The brake fluid level was near the minimum level. Guess what fixed the problem?
Sometimes it makes me wonder where my mind is at. I still want to follow the #2 vacuum line just to see where it goes but we are having thunderstorms now so will wait until next time.
Thanks you to all who have tried to help this nutter out.

More
3 years 3 months ago #218125 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Lorries Brake Vacuum
So were did the brake fluid go ?

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, V8Ian

More
3 years 3 months ago #218139 by cobbadog
I wish I knew that answer. No oil on the floor of the cab. No oil stains on the inside of the tyres or wheels. Over the years I have had hydraulic brake lines replaced and the last time they were doing that I confirmed with them that ALL lines have been replaced due to rusty lines and they said yes.
It cant disappear by itself and your question is a good and valid one. Even Dee asked the same question as did I when I discovered it. I guess this may be an ongoing issue until I find a possible line that was not replaced, then poop will hit the fan.

Time to create page: 0.489 seconds