Skip to main content

Bedford MK 4x4 Rims/tyres alternatives

More
3 years 2 months ago #218818 by Johnp
Hi guys havent been on here for a while,but i have just bought and started work on a 1975 Bedford MK or MFR 4x4 it lists 9.00x20 tyres (which is on mine) but they also list 12.00x20 tyres on cab placard.
My question is what 10 stud pattern does the Bedford rim follow the european or American? i have the ex aussie army Mk 4 Inter
12.00 rims which i think are correct style / stud pattern tube type NATO setup as pommy army ones but i think 12.00 tyres are going to be way out of my price range(unless someone knows of a cheap supplier) for new tyres, so was wondering if i can run some tubeless 11.r22.5 tyre or super single? rims maybe,truck has to go over the pits so 20 + year old ex army bar tread tyres arent really gonna cut it.
The Acco rims have a very flat no dish face which i would like to keep as close as practical to but most rims have a dished centre so i dont really know which way to go at the moment.If any one is interested just Google Bedford MK or MJ and heaps of british army pics show up and you will see what i mean about Acco rims,dish etc

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 months ago #218836 by cobbadog
My uneducated guess is they would be 10 stud British pattern.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
3 years 2 months ago #218843 by Mrsmackpaul
The Bedford 4x4 with 1200 x 20s had different axles than the 9.00 x 20 Bedfords
The 1200 x 20 trucks had axles all the same length were as the 9.00 x 20 truck had a much narrower axle in the rear for duels

1200 had a flatter wheel than the army acco or at least that is how they appeared to my eyes

I would think 22.5 super singles with a high profile would be a lot better than 1200's and would ride smoother and be cheaper

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 2 months ago #218848 by JOHN.K.
if you have an ACCO ,check if the wheels fit ......the 10 stud pattern is the same ,and IIRC the offset of the centre plate is also the same,or close enough to be legal .....As for tyres ,the army used to sell used 12.00 x20 s for variable prices ,depending on who wanted them ,but Ive got good serviceable tyres from the unimogs for as little as 50c each,and as much as $100 each when I was buying to order for a customer.....There is an ACCO section on the remlr forum,and someone was organizing a buy of new tyres .......seemd to think I was interested ,no way in this world would I pay $300 each for tyres.

More
3 years 2 months ago #218868 by Johnp
Thanks guys,the RL bedfords had narrow axles with the outer rim on having the deep dish out with big tyres so i was going to run MK the same,i realize the poms had wider axles and they must have been WIDE,theres nothing ive seen in Aus anywhere near that width.
Again though is there a british 10 stud as well as a European 10 stud and a Yank 10 stud pattern ?

More
3 years 2 months ago #218877 by JOHN.K.
They are old style UK 10 stud with coned seats for the nuts.......the current ISO tubeless 10 stud Euro s fit the stud pattern,but dont have the coneseat .........now I know some people are using them on ACCOs ,and tightening the nuts every time,until the nuts form their own seat,but its likely illegal.

More
3 years 2 months ago #218879 by Johnp
Okay thanks guys,i havent yet pulled either off their respective truck yet but i will be shortly so will have to check out coned seats etc

More
3 years 2 months ago #218881 by Lang
I fitted Ford F350 mag wheels to my OKA (American Dana 8 stud). The Oka had coned nuts and so did the Ford but they were different angles. Took them to the local engineering shop and they ran around the holes on the mag wheels until the cone angle fitted the OKA nuts. Took them a few minutes and charged $10 per wheel.

Lang

More
3 years 2 months ago #218884 by Mrsmackpaul

Lang wrote: I fitted Ford F350 mag wheels to my OKA (American Dana 8 stud). The Oka had coned nuts and so did the Ford but they were different angles. Took them to the local engineering shop and they ran around the holes on the mag wheels until the cone angle fitted the OKA nuts. Took them a few minutes and charged $10 per wheel.

Lang

My brother had this done to what I would guess is a Euro 10 stud rim last year, as in got the taper put in by a engineering place and it cost bugger all like you said

Paul

More
3 years 2 months ago #218885 by Mrsmackpaul

Johnp wrote: Thanks guys,the RL bedfords had narrow axles with the outer rim on having the deep dish out with big tyres so i was going to run MK the same,i realize the poms had wider axles and they must have been WIDE,theres nothing ive seen in Aus anywhere near that width.
Again though is there a british 10 stud as well as a European 10 stud and a Yank 10 stud pattern ?

My Dad had what I think is the style Bedford you talk of, like a TK but 4x4 with big singles, it would of been almost new at the time, and yes it had the wide axles front and back
The front axle broke off in the paddock one day, at a guess the very early 80's and it got carried/dragged man handled back into the shed

I came home from school one day and men were working on it, apparently some drilling company had bought it and drove it away that night for central Australia some were

The whole axle housing broke thru and they just changed it over with a second hand one so they must be out there

Dads is the only one with big singles on I ever saw in Australia

He replaced that truck with a 4x4 Acco

Paul

Time to create page: 0.492 seconds