Skip to main content

Lang's box of memories.

More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #219118 by Lang
Lang's box of memories. was created by Lang
I just got a box of photos from my sister and found some I took with my Brownie box camera in the early 60's. The old man owned Moran Motors the Holden dealer at Southport.

This was the "shop ute". Brand new and will give the Wotzit enthusiasts a bit of a struggle.

Here are a few new vehicles arriving from the GMH Strathpine factory at Tweed Motors which he also managed..

This was the tow truck. I got my truck licence on this. Ford Thames probably about 1955.

I am pretty sure this was taken on my last trip before I joined the Army. Mum sure kept my clothes looking immaculate.
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, Mairjimmy, PaulFH, Tacho, wee-allis, xspanrman

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #219119 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Lang's box of memories.
Those '58 Chevy headlight sure look good in the ute.

It makes you wonder at the size and power of todays 6 car carriers, when you look at the same number of cars on a single axle Sputnick back in the day.
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by wee-allis.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 1 month ago #219121 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Lang's box of memories.
I was actually thinking '58 Studebaker for the headlights. GM parts would make more sense, though.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #219123 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Lang's box of memories.
They were Rambler lights. It was black and red with every extra.

The panel shop foreman was a metalwork wiz and the old man never let a bit of publicity slip past. GM got a bit miffed when they saw them and made some comment on "Hot rodding" but it was a bit of a master stroke. It created so much comment made worse by the mechanics who used it to pick up parts etc starting the rumour it was the next model Holden shape undergoing trial.

Because we were into motor sport and go karting it went everywhere there were motoring enthusiasts who sat up and paid attention. The rumour spread so far that photos started to appear in motoring magazines with "New Holden shape spotted" type captions. Having the Holden Dealer signage only gave the rumour more credibility.

It must have worked because in the box of photos is one of dad receiving GMH Australian Country Dealer of the Year award.

Lang
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, asw120

More
3 years 1 month ago #219130 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic Lang's box of memories.
Damn! When I saw "58 Chev I knew that was wrong, and would have said Humber Snipe, but Rambler - some people will use anything!

More
3 years 1 month ago #219136 by jon_d
Replied by jon_d on topic Lang's box of memories.
PDU,

"and would have said Humber Snipe"

Mum had a Humber Voque and I was thinking a Humber too.

More
3 years 1 month ago #219137 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Lang's box of memories.
this is what they came off.

Attachments:

More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #219138 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Lang's box of memories.
I picked 58 Rambler first off. When I was an apprentice at A Pendlebury & Co, Parramatta, my boss bought a new Hudson Rambler in ‘58.
Really smart looking FB ute, love the spinner full wheel trims and mouldings from the special sedan.
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by overnite.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

More
3 years 1 month ago #219141 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Lang's box of memories.
There was one of those on Bribie when I grew up. Sadly, it ended up at Caboolture wreckers...:(

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #219151 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic Lang's box of memories.
GMH factory Strathpine or Acacia Ridge, Lang?
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Gryphon. Reason: removed quote containing original pictures.

Time to create page: 0.506 seconds