Skip to main content

Lang's box of memories.

More
3 years 2 months ago #219172 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Lang's box of memories.
Here is the start of the race. Stan has pole position in his Maserati. Fairly sure it was Jack Brabham beside him. The kid in the photo is Alan Jones who was the same age as me (about 10).

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH, V8Ian

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 months ago #219173 by Lang
Once again something about nothing.

How simple life was back then. Dad was a master at publicity so when the FB Holden came out he set up an unheard of event at Southport. People were ringing in for invitations but all the seats were taken. There was a band, balloons, supper and Miss Bikini Australia (unfortunately overdressed) to drive the car out after the speeches. Of course my sister, who was about 12 by this time, got a jersey after the Australian Grand Prix debacle.

Next day the Gold Coast Bulletin had a full page with 3 photos and report of the great event. Didn't cost the old man anything more than having the editor and his wife in the front row.

Can you imagine in your wildest dreams people fighting for seats for the release of the new 2021 Corolla or any newspaper giving it one line unless it was paid advertising? We were easily entertained and loved it.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH, asw120, Southbound, V8Ian

More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #219285 by Lang
More random stuff out of the box. Probably of no interest to most.

My thought that Jack Brabham was on that Caversham Grand Prix grid photo is correct. Here is a photo of me with him on the day. Note the standard footware for all Western Australian (and Queensland) kids under 12 in the 50's.

Here is a better photo of the twin headlight FB Holden on the way to the Australian Gokart Championships in Townsville. It certainly was a picture with the bright red upper and black lower sections. Note the burning sugar cane in the background and it looks like the Bruce Highway has not improved much.

This is a photo of "my" 4x4 190 International on the Seismic Job in WA 1964.
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, V8Ian

More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #219286 by Lang
As I mentioned above, life was much more simple then and we were easily entertained. Gold Coast had a parade every year with a large number of floats and the usual packs of marching girls, fire engines, girl guide groups and of course the local pipe and Salvation Army bands. The entire town turned out to watch.

The top one is my first and last acting job, think I was about 14. The Holden dealership tow truck pictured above, towed this wreck in the parade. I lay "dead" for over an hour. If you think the blood looks real you are right. My mother was appalled when told the mechanics had cut a chicken's throat and splashed blood over the car, and me, for authenticity. Really early days to be advertising seat belts.

The second photo shows our football team which was just one of several in the parade. Looks like a brand new Inter from a local business.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, overlander, PaulFH, V8Ian, Brocky45

More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #219287 by Lang
When the old man got out of the Army his first job was as area rep for International Harvester for the whole of Northern Victoria and SW NSW based in Echuca (where I was born) then Ballarat. He had an Inter ute as his vehicle to visit all the dealers and to use as his private vehicle out of hours. Apparently International were a great company to work for and looked after their people and their dealers very well.

In the bottom photo - what truck and what model bike am I riding??

Some photos of my first truck driving experiences. The camping pictures must have been later (but with an earlier model ute?) as it looks like my sister is on the scene in the teardrop trailer.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, Morris, Mrsmackpaul, overlander, PaulFH, asw120, Southbound, V8Ian, Brocky45

More
3 years 1 month ago #219294 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Lang's box of memories.
Fantastic photos and story Lang, thanks for sharing them with us

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang

More
3 years 1 month ago #219300 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Lang's box of memories.
Girder fork BSA. Empire Star or similar

More
3 years 1 month ago #219301 by Lang
Thanks Steve. It looked a bit heavy to me to be a British bike.

Lang

More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #219304 by Swanny
Replied by Swanny on topic Lang's box of memories.
Could be an Indian or a Harley. Was that an ESSO tiger on the roof of the Inter
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Swanny.

More
3 years 1 month ago #219306 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Lang's box of memories.
I think the bike is 1946 M20 or M21......its also possibly a WM20 with a 8"light fitted.

Time to create page: 0.553 seconds