Skip to main content

Valve extensions

More
3 years 1 month ago #219463 by projectinter
Has anyone ever tried valve extensions for dual wheels? I have a hino with 8.25R16 and the inner is a nightmare to get to the valve. I’ve seen them on the net but never seen them in person. Wondering if it’s a gimmick?

See picture
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 1 month ago #219468 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Valve extensions
I have tried them but I found them unreliable and leaked, there are lots of different types

In the end I just gave them a miss and shopped around for different tools to get better access to the valve
Also bending the valve stem can help at times

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #219469 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Valve extensions
YES, I run valve extensions on our FC144 Hino with great success. The ones I bought have a hex at both ends so ou can put a spanner on them to do them up and keep them sealed. They can still be a bugga of a thing to put air into if you dont have the right inflator. I use the ones that are similar to the air guns at servos and it works well but I still use my pressure gauge to read the pressure so to make it easy I set the pressure regulator on the compressor to 90psi and listen to the flow of air. When it stops flowing I am on the money pressure wise.I bought Shrader brand extensions from the local tyre retailer but did find them online later but this was quite a few years back now.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by cobbadog.

More
3 years 1 month ago #219470 by raafy
Replied by raafy on topic Valve extensions
We have them fitted to all of our buses & they make it much easier to check pressures

MOVED FROM CAIRNS TO VICTORIA & STILL TRYING TO WORK OUT WHY

More
3 years 1 month ago #219471 by projectinter
Replied by projectinter on topic Valve extensions
Thanks. I thought they might be prone to leaks. The truck goes into sandy country a bit so if it was easier to access I’d deflate the drive tyres.
Did you remove the core on the tyre and then attach the extension?

More
3 years 1 month ago #219473 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Valve extensions
No, leave the core in the tube. The extension is designed to press down on that valve to allow the flow of air each way.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
3 years 1 month ago #219474 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Valve extensions
I run straight 4” steel extensions on our motorhome, but put a zip tie at the end and tie to the slots in the rim Been there for 2 years and easy to check/ inflate with a double ended inflater.

More
3 years 1 month ago #219475 by projectinter
Replied by projectinter on topic Valve extensions
Thanks for the replies. More common than I though.
I’ll order a set. Do you think the solid steel or the braided hose?

More
3 years 1 month ago #219476 by Brocky45
Replied by Brocky45 on topic Valve extensions
The company I worked for had the short, about 1 -1 1/2 inch, steel ones that replaced the valve cap and you could check the pressure thru them on ALL of their prime movers and trailers. Never had any problems!! They even issued pressure gauges and air lines to each tractor and the driver was supposed to check the tire pressure in any trailer he picked up.. Especially those trailers that had been in Mexico.

More
3 years 1 month ago #219484 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Valve extensions
One type of extension does not hold any air pressure.....it contains a long extension rod that depresses the valve stem in the tube valve.

Time to create page: 0.571 seconds