Skip to main content

Is Cobba swimming?

More
3 years 1 week ago #219886 by Zuffen
Is Cobba swimming? was created by Zuffen
With the bit of rain we're having the question is how are our mates on the mid-North coast faring.

I see Coopernook is isolated as the Pacific Highway is flooded.

Can you guys let us now how it's going?
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, oliver1950

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 1 week ago #219901 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Is Cobba swimming?
Thank you for your very kind concerns for us around the Taree and Manning Valley. Wee-Allis (Steve) has also kindly been in contact with us so thanks to steve again.
Yep, the Coopy pub is full of water and not open for bussiness. All roads around us are closed and West St in the village has gone under tonight. Highway North and South as well as the Harrington road down to the coast is closed as well. Some road collapse on the highway north of us but dont know to what extent.
Dee and I are up on a hill and feel like we have a moat around us as the bloody rain stops for 30 minutes then buckets down like a waterfall. We are safe where we are just have to be happy staying at home and at this rate I will be cancelling a bit of work for next week until the roads are open again.
Hopefully there will be a positive with this amount of rain and that will be the flushing out of the sand bar at Harrington. Our fearless useless Council were making noises about dredging it recently so this should save millions on studies and actually thinking baout doing it, BONUS.
Hopefully oliver1950 is ok over the other side of the valley and backs onto the Manning River but has a bit of hieght above it. I bet all his dams are flowing now.
Again, thanks for thinking of us and hiopefully it backs off soon as it heads South to Sydney and beyond. I saw on the weather map it goes down to the Victorian border so hopefully those South of us are not effected as bad. Saw the Warragamba Dam was suppose to spill late this afternoon. Got me beat why they didn't open the gates when it got to them so it becomes a slow steady stream down the river to the Nepean then out to sea. Obviously someone when a far higher edification than I have knows better as now they have a heap of water to get rid of because the wall of the dam is at maximum and is not as young as it used to be so testing the limits in my book is not a good idea.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: xspanrman

More
3 years 1 week ago #219902 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Is Cobba swimming?
I see someone at Wingham is moving House,,,

www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-20/nsw-sever...ons-rescues/13264384

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
3 years 1 week ago #219903 by cobbadog
Well my mate across the road with the nice new Argossy stuffed up big time. When talking to him this morning he went on about driving through some flooded roads comming down the highway to get home this morning at around 4.00am which is way earlier than normal. HE normally drops his trailer/s off down the road but it is under water so with only his single trailer he bought it home and parked up out the front of his place. In heavy rain he washed the trailer and truck then later this afternoon I heard the truck leave. Well it rurns out he went to pick up an elderly lady (his partners Mum) and get her out of the rising waters. Then just heard the quiet ssssound of an engine sneaking up the street just like he always does but this was different. Bloody big blue tractor dragging the Argossy up the road. It got water in the electrics, wont start up and has no power to wind up the windows so he borrow a sil ver tarp off me to keep the inside drier. He was heading back to phone his boss of the event and this wont be good as bossman and he have been at war of late over many things. So it will be interesting as to what the next move will be.

More
3 years 1 week ago #219910 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Is Cobba swimming?
Oh dear.

More
3 years 1 week ago #219911 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Is Cobba swimming?
Cobbadog,I am glad that you and wee-allis are OK. Your neighbour with the Argosy must be very pleased that modern vehicles are so much better than old ones. :evil: :woohoo: :woohoo:

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, roKWiz

More
3 years 1 week ago - 3 years 1 week ago #219928 by cobbadog
Trev across the road is not a happy campaigner at all. He has not been on the bosses best side for a couple of weeks and then this happened. I must admit the boss is a very fair man by the sounds of things as he took the news very well and simply asked that he organise the service truck to get him moving again as soon as they can move. They can get here from Kempsey but not back to Kempsey so it is sitting there waiting. He had no power into the cab so he borrowed a battery charger to ensure the batteries are full. He then turned off the isolation switch and reset it then he had power back to the cab. Then it started up. Sounded just right until the engine started making a knocking noise and slowly came to a stop and would not start up even though it was cranking over. My best uneducated guess is that there is a gut full of water in the fuel and now at the injectors. So I suggested that he start at the water traps to see if there is water in there, if so keep following it. Well the rain is fair pelting down and no movement across the road.
As for a couple of pics around town here are a couple.
The first one is from the top of our street looking SW towards the river and over West St and the farm beyond
Next is a very small part of the trucks and trailers parked up south bound on the highway and there are no shortages of caravans joining them.
This one is the eastern end of West St. The road from here on is an "S" bend and further away the deeper it gets. I know that some of the houses are up to the floor level with water at 9.30am today and more rain has fallen since. Possibly one or two homes have water inside.
Last is the northern exit from Coopernooky where the road has been blocked and at this time in both directions.

Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 1 week ago by cobbadog.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, asw120

More
3 years 1 week ago #219933 by oliver1950
Replied by oliver1950 on topic Is Cobba swimming?
Thankyou all for your concern.We are ok here our house and sheds are 47 metres above the river level.The runoff has been a problem with nearly 500mls this week and a total of over 1300mls since December 1st.I managed to get down to the river yesterday and found that it was higher than I had ever seen it,the reports were that it was at 18 metres above normal.
Looking down on the river

This creek runs through our property,is semi permanent only drying to pools in drought times.Here it is backed up about 500 metres from the river and running backwards

About 2 metres under the water here are about 3000 pumpkins ( I hope)

You can't have too many toys!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, asw120, roKWiz

More
3 years 1 week ago #219936 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Is Cobba swimming?
I'm supposed to drive to Tweed heads to visit my 95 year old Mum on Tuesday. Doesn't look too promising.

Been over a year since I've seen her and this was a perfect time to take a week off and see her. With Helen with her broken ankle it was time to let her look after herself and stand on her own one foot!

More
3 years 1 week ago - 3 years 1 week ago #219940 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Is Cobba swimming?
Although we have had 3 floods this year on the far south coast, they are nothing compared to what is going on up north. However this afternoon I got a call from a mate who lives up river with his property on the south side and the road on the north side. The only way to his place is via a normally shallow river crossing, about 30cm deep.

Because he knew the rain was coming, he left his car on the north side and walked home, taking the keys with him. Around lunchtime he went down to the river to find it about 8 metres above the crossing and rising, getting closer to where he parked his car. This is normally about 8 metres above river height.

With another mate we were able to get to his place via a long detour, break into his car and scull drag it to higher ground.

The photos below show the river but not the flow or speed of the water and the second shows how close our timing was. g was.
Steve.
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 1 week ago by wee-allis.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, oliver1950

Time to create page: 0.598 seconds